Warped wheel bolts---urgent help

I got a flat the other day in one of my rear tires. I called AAA and they sent out a flatbed. The guy had boards so that he could load it on the back without scraping...but after I told him that I had a few extra sets of rims/tires in my garage, he said he would rather just drive me the 5 miles to get a wheel to bring back.

But yes, he said he has put them on the flatbed before, and Acura reccomended that he pull it on backwards.

SR

I had my car towed flat bed once before. My car was mostly stock, besides the 97+ lip, oh and the 1.75inch drop! They used boards and angled my car up. No damage, but the lip scraped a bit. But again, no damage. They did it front first.
Good Luck
Z

Hello, I own Precision Towing Service in Seattle, When I tow my NSX I use a flatbed tow truck, and additional ramps at the end of the deck to make the angle of approach less steep. This way it doesn't matter if you tow from the front or back. Personally I prefer to winch from the front, as there is nothing obstructing the tow hook in the bumper once you remove the plastic cover. If you winch up from the rear you will have to use J hooks on the rear control arms(not recomended) or hook into the rear tie downs which are kind of obstructed. Try to find a tow company that uses nylon wheel straps to tie the vehicle to the deck of the flat bed. These straps go around and over the wheels and attach to the deck of the tow truck. This is the best way to prevent damage. Stay away from rachet straps that attach to your frame if you can as it is possible to over tighten and damage your frame. And I would definitely bolt on the last wheel so you can get it onto the flatbed.

Your 3 studs will hold just fine to get it up on the tow truck.

OTOH - I would BET that they would hold just fine with 85-90 pounds of torque and low speeds/cornering loads to the dealership.

I have seen several cars where there were 2 or MORE lugs very loose yet the remaining 1-3 lugs held on. I have also heard stories of wheels falling off coming home from the track so YMMV.

Do the safe thing - that is why you pay AAA.

Put the wheel back on, tighten the 3 lugs as normal and it will be fine to load onto the tow truck.

Anytime you damage more than 1 stud I feel you should replace them all. Even if only 1 were damaged I would replace all 5 on an NSX. Studs are cheap, and they wear some even under normal use, so I'd say just go it while you're in there.

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Just thought I'll share my experience at Don's shop with my fellow NSX owners.

As you may already know, I had 2 warped/bented studs on my front passenger wheel.

Today, I had my car towed via a flatbed with 3 lugnuts on the front wheel. Everything was fine.

Don only took about an hour to replace all 5 studs and he gave me an incredible deal, $65 total. (I provided the 5 OEM studs $5.99/each). Grand total for the 5 studs + labor = about $100.
Free towing with AAA.

Sure beats having to work on it myself and probably ruin the axle in the process. I can see it now........[taking multiple hours and losing/damaging mechanical components/items and getting frustrated........end up towing it to Don's shop and getting an estimate for 10 times as much for screwing it up.]

Thanks for the great referral guys! I will be using his services from now on. NSX Prime is by far the best forum with the most comprehensive data for NSX owners.

Lud, I took your advice on having all 5 studs replaced rather than 3, like you said, studs are cheap.........might as well replaced them all at once. (Better safe than sorry) :D

Thanks to everyone here on NSX Prime. I really appreciate it.

Kevin

I don't know. I only live about 4 miles away from his shop, so I didn't stick around to watch. Give him a call if you want at (650) 991-8838 and ask him what strategy/technique he used on Kevin's car.

Great news! Glad to hear you got it all fixed with minimal hassle and expense. :)

Back