Warning - JH4NA21673T000080 on Autotrader has undisclosed engine Hx

I've been in communication with the seller of this vehicle on Autotrader, it's a Blue 2003 6spd with 20k miles on it. The seller was very responsive to my questions and picture requests and had stated after being asked several times that the car was all OEM and nothing was wrong with the car. Based on a clean carfax and what the seller stated I had scheduled a PPI this week. Before the PPI, the seller calls me unexpectedly to inform me that they forgot to mention that the car had a "blown" engine when they bought it last fall, that the bearing #5 had melted and there was evidence that cylinder #5 had been honed. He went on to say they've fixed everything and the car now has a new OEM short block, pistons, crankshaft, clutch disc, probably more but I stopped listening at that point. :eek: :eek: :eek: . Supposedly this car was listed on Autotrader last fall with it's blown engine noted before it was fixed. Needless to say, I've withdrawn my interest in this vehicle. Does anyone know if a PPI would have caught this?

Looks like you'll be another New Mexico NSXer soon! I'm also looking to replace my '91 with a 2002+ NSX. You aren't looking for a silver car, are you? I don't want for us to have twins! :biggrin:

Sad to hear about the blue car......another one bites the dust in my eyes. :frown:

This car has been around for a awhile. Sold last summer at a Manheim Auto Auction in Florida. I remember the repair bill was posted somewhere and it was in excess of $15k:wink: A PPI may or may not have caught it, depends you was doing your PPI:biggrin:

ROBARE needs to go have his honesty meter re-adjusted.

First things first...My dealership is a full disclosure business. We have never attempted to hide or conceal any history about the NSX....ROBARE is lying in this thread

When I purchased this NSX from American Honda, it had an engine knock which was a result of a spun number 5 rod bearing. When the technicians at my dealership (which are all former Honda and Acura dealership technicians) removed and dismantled the original engine, they found that the #5 cylinder had been honed. This was an indication that this had happened before.

We determined that the BEST WAY to correct this engine problem was to install a new short block which we ordered from American Honda, though Harper Acura in Knoxville, TN.

AGAIN, we have never hidden this fact and ROBARE should be ashamed for posting this FALSEHOOD.

IN CLOSING, you may check out this vehicle on line and you will see that this unit is offered with full disclosure, as it always has been and that the original engine is being offered with it.

I have enclosed a photo of the original engine sitting on the packing that the new shortblock was delivered on. It is being included with the purchase of the vehicle.

Just setting the record straight.

ROBARE, you should be ashamed for lying about this car.

Sincerely,
Ed Brian

Attachments

• 101_7142.jpg
    101_7142.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 392
I don't want to answer for Accurate Cars but I did see this car for sale earlier in the year and last year.

Sure looks to be a nice NSX!

ROBARE, you should be ashamed for lying about this car.

Sincerely,
Ed Brian

I don't see anything in his post that is "lying" or much different at all from what you have stated. Perhaps you should re-read it when you are not upset? :confused:

Good luck in selling the NSX and your full disclosure/honesty is much appreciated.

I agree. I don't think the original poster was lying. He explained what you told him. At what point did you really disclose the replaced engine? I have no problem with a rebuilt engine actually. That is much better really. He just doesn't want a car that isn't stock and that is his issue. I don't see how he was lying at this point.

I would be scared of the fact it is mentioned someone "honed" a block with f.r.m. cylinder walls, but im a fan of the old school steel liners. at least he sprung for a new block. I would check the paint really closely, It could still be a good car.

I read this post again tonight and wanted to leave a few comments about my NSX.

First, the NSX is very valuable to our dealership. Here in Middle Tennessee, near Nashville, the NSX is a very rare vehicle. The vehicle is actually worth more in advertising to me, than selling it would be. We have had several offers on the car (one recent offer that was within $2000 of our asking price) and we declined. I know that the NSX would be difficult to replace (especially the Long Beach Pearl).

My second point is that this unit has always been stored on our showroom floor, suspended with reinforced rubber chocks underneath the lift points (to relax the suspension about 70%) and a car cover on it. We do drive the vehicle periodically and we do still routinely change the fluids as recommended by American Honda.

Finally, I have cooled down. Robare was not truthful. We have always been completely honest and up front about this NSX. After all, we have absolutely nothing to be ashamed of. My dealership could have easily installed a new crankshaft, #5 rod and all main and rod bearings and kept the original engine in the NSX. We chose to install a new short block.

At one time this blog post had been closed with an absolute lie about my dealership. I appreciate NSX prime re-opening it and allowing me defend my business.

Thanks NSX Prime and thanks to all the contributors of this post.

Sincerely
Ed Brian, Owner
Accurate Cars

Attachments

• 101_7366.jpg
    101_7366.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 340
Last edited:
The vehicle is actually worth more in advertising to me, than selling it would be. We have had several offers on the car (one recent offer that was within $2000 of our asking price) and we declined.

Why is it dealers always say things like the above when they have trouble selling a car?

Dealerships are in business to make money. Selling cars makes money. People don't come in to see an NSX and walk out with an MDX, do they?

...People don't come in to see an NSX and walk out with an MDX, do they?

It's funny you should say this because that is the exact scenario that happened to me when I bought my MDX. I stopped by an Acura dealership while I was out in my NSX to check out the 2002 facelift. I ended up buying a 2001 leftover MDX off of the showroom floor. :biggrin:

Why is it dealers always say things like the above when they have trouble selling a car?

Dealerships are in business to make money. Selling cars makes money. People don't come in to see an NSX and walk out with an MDX, do they?

It is called marketing and it is very effective.

With your line of reasoning, Red Bull is in the business of selling energy drinks, not flying civilian-owned mig jets.....Budweiser is in the business of selling beer, not racing turbine powered boats and racing cars....and Philip Morris is in the business of selling cigarettes not formally sponsoring stock-car racing.

How many customers have I sold Honda S2000s and Acura TL 6 Speeds to who initially searched for an NSX in my area? How many 16, 17, and 18 year-olds, who could never afford the insurance on an NSX, much less the vehicle; bought an Integra, Civic, or RSX from me but initially found the NSX in my inventory?

That is why the NSX remains in the inventory. Monthly, that car will appear in searches on autotrader nearly 30,000 times. It also brings many to view my Honda and Acura inventory.

Simply put....MARKETING. Not to mention the fact that one day the next owner of that vehicle will remember that little 2003 NSX parked in that climate controlled showroom and will want it for themselves.

I am a firm believer that the NSX might as well be a P51 Mustang parked in the showroom....but the NSX takes up a lot less space.

Ed

To decline an offer just shy of 2k of your asking price doesn't make any sense. However, I guess if you are using the car as a "marketing tool" as you mentioned, I suppose you can have it sit @ an unrealistic selling price.

We have had several offers on the car (one recent offer that was within $2000 of our asking price) and we declined.

How many customers have I sold Honda S2000s and Acura TL 6 Speeds to who initially searched for an NSX in my area? How many 16, 17, and 18 year-olds, who could never afford the insurance on an NSX, much less the vehicle; bought an Integra, Civic, or RSX from me but initially found the NSX in my inventory?

Ok, I'll bite. How many?

Ed,

Don't worry you'll sell it. So long as the work was done right then really a new engine shouldn't worry anyone. I considered your NSX but found the 2002 Imola that I bought.

Someone who really wants a LBBP will buy it. :smile:

I'm curious why a new engine would worry any potential buyers? Heck, I'd love a new engine in my car!

if new engine has the problem late, that will kick ass. this is why lot of potential buyers will stay away from it. it's not a CIVIC or RSX. my friend blew his integra motor before, replaced another one. cheap. he replaced another type R motor late. but for NSX......................

no one wants to worry about the most expensive part of NSX.

LOL i wish i would have a brand new nsx motor after 10 yrs.

Its his dealership's "HALO" car. He doesn't really want to sell it but will sell it at the right price. That's a really nice clean car with basically a brand new engine.

Back