Want to upgrade from an LS430 to an NSX

Well, I finally joined the club after acquiring a suitable email address

Wife and I are actually ready to get an NSX, despite having a 4 and 5 yo.
I think we're hitting mid-life seniority a little early:biggrin:

I've looked at some 4 seater coupes: CL55 amg, 650, SC430 (don't laugh about the useless rear seats), even a 300ZX, but nothing was desirable as the NSX. Always wanted one since '91.

Fortunately, we're able to carpool (all 4 of us) in our sienna se which leaves us with an LS430 at home. (A shameless sales plug-it's in the general classifieds actually. I'm looking to sell it or trade for an NSX with cash on top).

I'm a long time member on clublexus also.
I've been reading prime for the past 3 months gathering informations and seeing how we don't drive the LS at all, we might as well pick up an NSX.

We want a 95-96 for the T-top and automatic. I know most members prefer the manual, but I want the automatic just to cruise with the top off.

I'm not crossing manual off the list just yet.

Plus, I'm already gathering a shopping list of the mods that I want for my NSX:

1. front lip
2. side skirt
3. rear kit: either an 02 valence or a lip kit

4. headers
5. exhausts

I hope to pick one up soon and be an official member!!!

Last edited:
Welcome and good luck on your search! I think I saw a '95 auto on autotrader not long ago, but you deffinately will have an easier time finding a manual. Have you driven one yet? Make sure you drive both before hand if possible, but sounds as though the auto will fit your criteria; but the manual might be too hard to resist.:wink:

Welcome to the board.

Before you disregard the manual, I'd say go test drive one so you know what you are missing. That said, auto's are harder to come by but tend to carry a lower price as they are typically less desired than their manual counterparts.

Good luck with your search no matter what you decide on.

Welcome and good luck to find the NSX of your heart… your wife quickly will become jealous of her rival NSX:biggrin:

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome!!!

Welcome and good luck on your search! I think I saw a '95 auto on autotrader not long ago, but you deffinately will have an easier time finding a manual. Have you driven one yet? Make sure you drive both before hand if possible, but sounds as though the auto will fit your criteria; but the manual might be too hard to resist.:wink:

I only test drove 3 nsx, all auto and I loved it. Haven't test drove a manual.

Welcome to the board.

Before you disregard the manual, I'd say go test drive one so you know what you are missing. That said, auto's are harder to come by but tend to carry a lower price as they are typically less desired than their manual counterparts.

Good luck with your search no matter what you decide on.
I know that with a manual, there's the itch to drive faster, which can get you in a little more trouble than the autos

There's nothing wrong with an automatic...good luck on the search!

Thank you. That's true, but every time I read a post about manning up and getting a manual, I want to agree:biggrin:

has there been an intervention for automatics?
if not, I want to start an AA: Automatics Anonymous:tongue:

Welcome and enjoy the ride.

Welcome from another ex-CL member.
I vaguely remember your id on clublexus. There's other members that I recognize who are on here also.
Chrisk and pvmike have been answering alot of my questions.
Welcome and good luck to find the NSX of your heart… your wife quickly will become jealous of her rival NSX:biggrin:

I don't know. I might become jealous too b/c she also loves the NSX. She's on the net every night looking also. When I was searching for a cl55 and esp. a 300zx tt, she would tell me "Don't bother with those cars".

Last edited:
Is this GS3trek? How predictable with the screen names. Hahaha. Welcome to NSX Prime. I finally picked up another NSX earlier this month so I too am once again an NSX Newbie. So much has stayed the same but a lot has also changed since I owned one 5 years ago. NSX will be a blast. Makes a good daily driver too since its my only car right now. :biggrin:

Chris

don't limit your search to only 95-96,all autos have the same basic engine trannie specs across the all years.The 02 body updates would be the major difference.

Is this GS3trek? How predictable with the screen names. Hahaha. Welcome to NSX Prime. I finally picked up another NSX earlier this month so I too am once again an NSX Newbie. So much has stayed the same but a lot has also changed since I owned one 5 years ago. NSX will be a blast. Makes a good daily driver too since its my only car right now. :biggrin:

Chris

yep, it's me. kept my username similar to the one clublexus.:smile:
You and Mike have been answering my questions over on clublexus.

is that the one in your avatar?

daily driver and with your son in the front seat??? lucky him:cool:

don't limit your search to only 95-96,all autos have the same basic engine trannie specs across the all years.The 02 body updates would be the major difference.

I kinda like the pop-up lights more than the bubble lights, but again, we're still flexible

Welcome to Prime! Nothing wrong with autos if you're looking a for a nice cruiser, and they handle just as good as a manual. One thing to be aware of is that Honda is no longer producing replacement parts for the auto transmission. The early ones are reaching the end of their service life and a fix can be very expensive.

Welcome! The hunt is fun too. Like you, I am trying to upgrade by selling my Infiniti M35. I'm sure you'll be happy with whatever nsx you choose.
Thank you. Good luck to you too.

Welcome to Prime! Nothing wrong with autos if you're looking a for a nice cruiser, and they handle just as good as a manual. One thing to be aware of is that Honda is no longer producing replacement parts for the auto transmission. The early ones are reaching the end of their service life and a fix can be very expensive.

Thanks for the heads up.
Are you talking about na1 automatic parts being not compatible with na2?

Thanks for the heads up.

Don't confuse NA1 with NA2. NA2 was the engine gearbox change from 3.0 to 3.2 and 5spd to 6spd in 1997.

Automatics are all the same 3.0 detuned engine, believe they are all still considered NA1 even the 2002+

Don't confuse NA1 with NA2. NA2 was the engine gearbox change from 3.0 to 3.2 and 5spd to 6spd in 1997.

Automatics are all the same 3.0 detuned engine, believe they are all still considered NA1 even the 2002+

OK, thanks.

Can you clarify what Honcho said?

One thing to be aware of is that Honda is no longer producing replacement parts for the auto transmission. The early ones are reaching the end of their service life and a fix can be very expensive.

OK, thanks.

Can you clarify what Honcho said?

I can only speculate...the early ones are getting tired and replacement parts are not kept on the shelf by Honda probably due to the low volume of the automatics vs their manual counterpart so sourcing replacement parts will be hard or you may have to source a used auto tranny.

Level ten is a place that many have had their auto transmissions worked on to hold increased HP etc, so assume they could do the work if you had problems but doens't mean it will be cheap as they are a specialty shop.

Edit: I shouldn't say are getting tired, rather they could be, depending on how hard they were driven and the amount of miles, maybe one that's been well maintained and not driven hard may have many more miles left in it.

Last edited:

Thanks for the heads up.

As noted, all automatic NSX models 91-2005 are NA1. This means they all use the 3.0L engine regardless of year, which is de-tuned to protect the transmission. The good news is that even though they remained NA1, newer autos benefitted from all of the various little upgrades Honda made to the car over the years. 97+ autos will have the reinforced frame and light gauge body panels just like the manuals. 2000+ autos will have the new ABS system and 2002+ autos will get the full facelift and bugeyes just like the manuals. Because autos usually sell for less than manuals, you might be able to afford a newer car for the same price.

As for the transmission repair issue, there are no more new ones anywhere because Honda stopped making them. Honda also stopped making the repair parts. So, if your transmission ever does fail, you have two options: (1) find a shop that can fix it without OEM parts; or (2) find a used replacement trans from a wreck or manual conversion. This is not to say that all older NSX autos are going to crap out. A lightly driven example that followed the maintenence schedule religiously will probably be fine. But just remember that it is still a machine and machines eventually wear out. The oldest auto tranmissions are now over 20 years old.

Edit: I shouldn't say are getting tired, rather they could be, depending on how hard they were driven and the amount of miles, maybe one that's been well maintained and not driven hard may have many more miles left in it.

As for the transmission repair issue, there are no more new ones anywhere because Honda stopped making them. Honda also stopped making the repair parts. So, if your transmission ever does fail, you have two options: (1) find a shop that can fix it without OEM parts; or (2) find a used replacement trans from a wreck or manual conversion. This is not to say that all older NSX autos are going to crap out. A lightly driven example that followed the maintenence schedule religiously will probably be fine. But just remember that it is still a machine and machines eventually wear out. The oldest auto tranmissions are now over 20 years old.

OK, thanks. I was a little slow there. I was making an assumption that if I was to get an earlier 91-94 that if something goes wrong, the parts may be interchangeable with the 95+.

I think being in socal, there are quite a few shops mentioned so that might put me at ease.

yep, it's me. kept my username similar to the one clublexus.:smile:
You and Mike have been answering my questions over on clublexus.

is that the one in your avatar?

daily driver and with your son in the front seat??? lucky him:cool:

I kinda like the pop-up lights more than the bubble lights, but again, we're still flexible

The one in my avatar is my previous 92 that I sold to my brother. He has it currently still. I picked up another 92 in Berlina Black. Complete 180 in the color.

OK, thanks. I was a little slow there. I was making an assumption that if I was to get an earlier 91-94 that if something goes wrong, the parts may be interchangeable with the 95+.

I think being in socal, there are quite a few shops mentioned so that might put me at ease.

Actually, I think the 91-94 auto trans is interchangeable with 95+. There were some changes in the shifting mechanism I think, i.e., 95+ have the "sport shift" lever on the steering column, but I'm pretty sure the trans box itself stayed the same 91-05. Can anyone confirm?

My 1 week old NSX is here!!!!

Actually, I think the 91-94 auto trans is interchangeable with 95+. There were some changes in the shifting mechanism I think, i.e., 95+ have the "sport shift" lever on the steering column, but I'm pretty sure the trans box itself stayed the same 91-05. Can anyone confirm?

Thanks again for filling in for the informations Honcho.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm not sure if I should make a separate thread, but I guess I'll continue from here. I guess I'll pm a moderator for a title change.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here are the specs:
96 Targa top
Black/tan with only 66k miles

tubi exhaust-nice low growl, not raspy or ricey, no droning:thumbup:
comptech headers
CF engine cover
stainless coolant tank

Interior is in excellent condition, no wear on the seats:eek2:
Automatic. Yes, I've been going back and forth on getting a manual, but in the end, this is the cleanest, well kept, fully documented, NSX that I've been looking for especially with the bolt-ons:woot: I can sit back, cruise, and stuff my pie hole.....so far I haven't though:p
Plus, my wife can also drive it also. Yeah, I'll use her as an excuse for getting an auto:D

I tried searching for an Automatic roll call. Maybe I'll start one, we'll call it "Automatics Anonymous":tongue::biggrin:

I couldn't be more happier.:woohoo:

The hunting and purchasing part was fun. Wife and I must have looked over 20 NSXs for over 3 months, almost made an interstate trade.

Upcoming mods: 17/18 wheels, aero kits, and double din nav/audio upgrades.........for now
Going to get rid of the antenna and those painted red calipers.

We just went on our first meet at Gil'ls BBQ and had a blast:woot:

DSC_0095.jpg

DSC_00661.JPG

DSC_00672.JPG

DSC_00652.JPG

DSC_00811.JPG

DSC_0080.JPG

DSC_00732.JPG

DSC_0074.JPG

DSC_00701.JPG

DSC_0133.jpg

Last edited: