Vw R-32

I just bought an R32 to use as my daily driver about a week ago.

My impressions of the car so far:

1) Handling: In my personal opinion, it is as easy to drive the R32 as fast as it is to drive my NSX fast. With the all wheel drive, it really grips the corners. I'm really impressed with this aspect of the car.

2) Acceleration: Very nice. Not quite as fast as my NSX, but it does have some very good torque (236 lb. ft.) that is very useable, as full torque is realized as low as 2800 rpm.

3) Appearance: The VW interior is nice. I love the racing seats, and much prefer the cloth insert interior to the leather. Very understated exterior appearance, which made me, at 46 years old, pick it over the competition (WRX Sti and the Evo). Nice looking 18" wheels.

4) Other: Great shifter and clutch - very easy to use. Decent Monsoon stereo, but not great. Love how quickly the heated seats heat up. Great utility with the hatchback and fold down rear seats.

5) Negatives: The car comes with absolutely no spare. All VW gives you is a tire patch kit and an air compressor. Even with all wheel drive, the Goodyear F1's are supposed to suck in the snow.

BTW, go to www.vwvortex.com to find out more.

I got a $3302 discount off MSRP and a free set of rubber mats. My car stickered for $29,675, and I paid $26,373. There is a $750 (or maybe $1000 now) dealer incentive, but that was included in the pricing I got. I think the car is a great car for @ $26k.

Mike

My son has an R32 and we both think its a great car. The handling is very good, good power, and the practicality of 4 wheel drive and the golf body. The interior is first class. Snow tires are a must - $1400 for a set of 17" wheels and blizzaks :eek: The fun to drive is high.

He got $3000 off msrp at a Boston dealer.

Rich I have only had one quick drive in the car,and it is a solid handler and seems to be well put together.In my mind though it depends on your nieces age.I,m not sure this is the best choice for a first car for a young driver.Also I don't know how it does in crash protection.

docjohn said:
Rich I have only had one quick drive in the car,and it is a solid handler and seems to be well put together.In my mind though it depends on your nieces age.I,m not sure this is the best choice for a first car for a young driver.Also I don't know how it does in crash protection.

Mike, great appraisal, Thanks - should be a fun test drive!

Doc,
Shouldn't you be burping "the baby" formally known as Prince. :biggrin:
She is in her 2rd year of Law School, spends some time up north sking (hence 4 motion). She has some pretty good experience in Euro type (BMW M5-her dads) cars. It seems to rate well on safety.

Bob, which dealer did you guys deal with in Boston. She plans on the snows for winter.

Mike O said:
Even with all wheel drive, the Goodyear F1's are supposed to suck in the snow.

These tires will suck on snow on every car. You may debate with your dealer that he gives you a 2nd set of rims with snow tires for free or reduced price. My newest winter selection for my every day car is Pirelli Sottozero (not the same as Pirelli Wintersport) - very good snow traction but also good handling without snow.

Back