VW = best EXOTICS?

haha! I saw that article and came here to post it too! You beat me. :biggrin:

oh yeah... i concur! try getting your hands on a Golf TDI like mine...

in fact, today only, i will offer to trade it even-stevens for a 1997 or newer NSX with under 40k miles... :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

hahahahaha

no wonder they break down so much....... LOL j/k

i dont think thats really a big deal... are not alot of the exotics owned by
general car manufacturers anyway?

when chrysler and mercedes merged my friend was adamant that he drove a 'Mercedes Cherokee'

I, in turn drive an Audi golf and a Lexus tacoma... high roller baby!

A couple:

Jag, Aston Martin (I think), Rover= Ford

Didn't some big co. buy Lambo?

homogenization...

orbusrex said:
Jag, Aston Martin (I think), Rover= Ford

Didn't some big co. buy Lambo?

Rover is independantly owned, BMW dumped it a few years ago. It went belly-up this past Spring. A Chinese group may make an investment in it.
(Ford though does own Volvo, Jaguar & Aston Martin as mentioned; GM has Saab and sizable investment in FIAT, and had Lotus in the past many years ago)

Lamborghini is owned by VW, and the Gallardo was the first offering to be influenced by the Germans. Worth noting is that VW also owns Bentley, and the Phaeton shares many components & engineering w/ the Flying Spur & Continental. Demand for the Phaeton flickers up -& down, so the factory has been adapted to also handle assembly of the aforementioned Bentley's.

Of note, BMW owns Rolls Royce. And it's known that Daimler-Mercedes owns Maybach.

Ironic that the three elite, ultra-luxury cars of the world are fundamentally Teutonic! :cool: Generally, the UK & Italy (and Pre-WWII USA) were known for oppulent, affluent high-end sedans!

Would the Saleen_S7 be considered independant of Ford :confused:

When you got to ford.com they show along the bottom, Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, Mazda, Volvo, Jaguar, Land Rover and Aston Martin. Are these just associations with these companies or do they own them outright? I'm talking about just Mazda, Land Rover and Aston Martin of course.

satan_srv said:
Uhh...Volkswagen...that was the point of the article which you didn't read.

:eek: I read it earlier today but forgot... sorry! My Lambo Golf is still for sale... :biggrin:

As for Rover... I thought Ford got them... or do they just have a licensing/ production agreement for the Freelander thing??

Ford Monster...

orbusrex said:
As for Rover... I thought Ford got them... or do they just have a licensing/ production agreement for the Freelander thing??

Rover is an English make of cars w/ a range of models offered. They went down-the-river so to speak this year.

Land Rover is an English make of 4x4 vehicles, ie. Range Rover, Discovery, Freelander. And yes, Ford does own them apparently. This is an interesting twist in that Ford also has ownership in Mazda w/ whom they often share platforms for the SUV's offered by both makes (re-badging, actually).

Ford's acquisition of Land Rover from BMW came out interesting for BMW; the German maker got know-how for their X5 (Range Rover :tongue: ) & later X3 (Freelander), got the Mini model-line, and got the Rolls Royce marque, AND dumped the Rover car model range to a British holding company. . . :cool:

Well, I'm just waiting for the day that Toyota buys GM. And judging by the way GM has been doing business lately, I might not have to wait too long.

Back