Vhs ---> Dvd

You pay guys like me to do the job. :D

Here's a cheap & dirty method; it won't get you any soup from the Forums Nazi but it does the job:

1) Buy an nVidia video card with VIVO (Video In / Video Out)
2) Hook up your VCR to the video card, and capture the video footage to your PC.
3) Use an editing program to tidy up the footage/create titles and encode it to DVD Format (MPEG2)
4) Use a DVD burning package to burn the MPEG2 footage into DVD & create DVD menus (if you want menu's)

Helps if you have plenty of HDD space, time (if you're a DVD newbie, you'll need to try different encoding rates), and a DVD-R/W drive helps too. :D

Honestly, if it's just for a one-off video, pay someone to do it. It can be quite time consuming (and hence frustrating) you discover all the nusiances of video encoding and DVD-creation. Just my advice.

Here's a more dirty and long lasting method:
1. Buy a DVD recorder (about 400 bucks, I guess)
2. Hook on your VHS player
3. Record the DVD in 1:1 (don't use the best quality mode because it's only good for one hour per DVD)
4. Finalize the DVD

If you just want to backup your VHS videos you may also lend a DVD recorder and work some nights...

There are also services out there that can do it for you....I don't know how many DVDs your planning on making. If its only 3-4, it might be cheaper to use the service.

I've thinking about that too..but i have to send them in. What if they lost it or something? yah, I just need a few done.

Spinner said:
There are also services out there that can do it for you....I don't know how many DVDs your planning on making. If its only 3-4, it might be cheaper to use the service.

This doodad - the Hewlett-Packard dc3000 dvd movie writer ( available at Best Buy or www.hp.com ) should do the job, but it is probably better to buy a multiformat burner and the associated hardware and software to burn DVDs because DVD burning is another vortex that you will find fascinating: there is lots more to do than copy VHS tapes. A few things I've noticed:

DVD-R and DVD+R are currently duking it out in the market - check your player to see which discs it will play ( to make it even worse different media act differently in different machines ). DVDs made at home use laser burned pits in the disc instead of pits molded in the plastic by a glass master so the type of dye becomes significant - IMHO the quality of the media depends on its origin; I've had the best luck with discs made in Japan and Taiwan ( Maxell and TDK ).

Don't waste time with VCD or SVCD - the quality of VCD ( MPEG1 has too much compression ) is lousy and while the quality of SVCD is acceptable the recording time goes way down. MPEG2 on DVD Video is the real answer to digital video.

I barely know what I'm doing with all this but it sure is fun.

GOOD LUCK !!!

Last edited:
GoVideo has a combo DVD Recorder + VHS deck that should do the job, if you're looking for a simple (non-computer required) solution. My local Costco carries it, I think it's in the $350 range:

VR4940_FEATURE.gif

Last edited:
PHOEN$X,

That is a cool machine - a better option than the H-P since it also records VHS from DVD ( I'm pretty sure the H-P does not ) and only costs $50 more.

another way

method # 1: stand alone DVD-R the best one being Panasonic at the moment. Price around $300 and dropping.
pros: easy to set up, very good quality, can record tv shows, works almost like your good old VCR. Added bonus with pamnasonic warranty is 1 year parts AND
labor as opposed to 90 days by the likes of SONY (which I do not recommend).
cons: most DVDs are coded with Macrovision and in other ways that will not allow you to copy protected DVD to DVD. However, there are still dvds that are copy free.

Method # 2: get an external (easier to connect) Pioneer A06 o A07 computer DVD burner. A07 is 8 speed so burning wll be fast. However, in order to be able to copy tapes you will need a converter. Curently, the best one is model ADVC-100 made by Canopus. I paid for it about $250 a year ago so it is probably much cheaper by now. Check e0cost.com for the latest price. This is by FAR the best one out there in the sub $250 price range. It does not drop any and I mean any frames when converting.

Method # 3 (unethical) buy a stand alone dvd recorder and see if you like it for 2 weeks and then if you do not return it for full refund.
;)

The esiest way is to buy a stand alone Panasonic DVd-R . Other ways require hours of learning and experimenting. A good site devoted to all thing dvd, scd is : vcdhelp.com very informative, check it out before you make your move. hope this helps. However, whatever you do do not buy SONY, trust me on this one.

Back