Very interesting... !

Hello everybody,

I am writing here because it is somewhat nsx and nsxprime-site related but if Lud feels it's not, it could also be moved from "General" forum to "Off Topic" or to "NSX Prime Discussion" one. But the more know about this the better!
biggrin.gif

For his computer science engineering Diploma Thesis my brother wrote a very intersting freeware application that allows people that are surfing/reading a website to see if there are other persons doing the same and in that case it can open a chat room between the readers that decide to chat between them. Of course as soon as I saw this working I tought it would be perfect in a site like our loved one...
smile.gif

What should you do?
You have to download an IExplorer plugin (Netscape will come shortly), install it (instruction on the page, 30s required
wink.gif
)and after this easy process on the bottom of the browser page you will have a counter that tells you how many people are reading the same webpage as you do (I am sure that in this moment many people are reading this forum, in the peak hours maybe 20-40 simultaneously!). In that case you would be able to enter a chat and speak with them... nice not?

This is what you will see in the browser lower border:
plug-in.gif

Where?
Here http://menzies.inf.ethz.ch

It has not been tested on Win'95 and '98. On NT and 2000 it works perfectely!

ciao
Giuseppe

[This message has been edited by gheba_nsx (edited 26 November 2001).]

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
What's a Mac?
biggrin.gif

You know - two all beef patties, lettuce, pickles, special sauce, cheese, on a sesame seed bun. That's a Mac.
biggrin.gif

------------------
Andrew Henderson
The NSX Model List Page

"We have long acknowledged that enthusiasm for things automotive is a sure
sign of emotional instability if not outright dementia"
- Brock Yates

I had a chat with Lud some moments ago... it seems quite nice: with more users it would be fun! Seems also stable now... it is still a beta but problems did not appear till now...
wink.gif

David, a mac version is on the way (a C++ compiler for mac is needed
confused.gif
)!
biggrin.gif

I was thinking about some use aspects of this: since it requires no work from the admin of the website (it is independent from it, users install it locally and can use it everywhere...) you can end up for example on a vendor site (Dali, Comptech, SoS, ...) and chat with other readers about opinions on products or prices or experiences... nice!

[This message has been edited by gheba_nsx (edited 26 November 2001).]

another linux user here. Well, actually FreeBSD...but linux binary compatible! Looks like we need to toss opera and use the netscape with the plugin though....

Also, Mozilla is on the way (should be ready in one-two days), this way also Linux users will have the possibility to use it!

On a side note: this morning I've chatted on Prime with a user from the UK that lurks the forum since the beginning (March 2000) but never registered... he was quite knowledgeable! ciao to you!
smile.gif

ps: In one day that it is out 60 people tried it worldwide... not like Harry Potter
smile.gif
but alomst...

Okey, I just suceeded in installing the Diploma Thesis. It works! Now I need more people on earth to install this on their PC's as well, or else, I'll be chatting with myself!

I don't think the tool actually tells you how many people are surfing the same site in as a whole, but how many people are surfing with the same tool installed. Am I wrong? I'd be surprised if it coule report server-side info like that.

-- Chris

------------------
SoS_logo.gif

www.ScienceofSpeed.com - Click for more info

Chris is right. This tool only notifies you of people surfing with the same device installed. As a test, I went to a busy site like CNN - and there was nobody there! On the NSXPrime site, there was one other user besides me (with the gizmo installed).

Daria, Chris
you are both right! Of course it can only tell you how many other "Neeting" users are watching the page... but the number is growing (are now about 200-300 users worldwide, not many but it is only three days that it is available...
smile.gif
). I think it is a good tool for a "community" type of users, like us NSXPRIMEers. If we install it all we can easily keep in touch while surfing this site...
biggrin.gif

Don't download the plugin while surfing with Netscape (yes, I know, there is no Netscape version anyway but it is my default browser). If you save the file while downloading Netscape you will get an error message when trying to register it - at least I did
wink.gif

Saved it in Internet Exploder and registered it with no problem. Now if there was only someone else here to chat with... hello? Bueller? Bueller? anyone?
smile.gif

------------------
Andrew Henderson
The NSX Model List Page

- Brock Yates

I am now surfing with this application installed. I run Win98, and it is all good.

Thanks for sharing!
Phil

------------------
integra.gif

[This message has been edited by H-carWizKid (edited 30 November 2001).]

Originally posted by H-carWizKid:
I am now surfing with this application installed. I run Win98, and it is all good.

Thanks for sharing!
Phil

I installed it last night and just got off a chat with the developer. Seems pretty neat and he plans on adding features. I'm a bit stumped as to why someone would use Neeting over mIRC or similar but I guess I can see some advantages.

------------------
Andrew Henderson
The NSX Model List Page

- Brock Yates

Originally posted by NSXTech:
Who's Harry Potter?
Does he have an SC yet?

Now that's funny! I think he's got a "broom" model made by "Witches, Inc.". You know that magic stuff that can't be supported by formulas
biggrin.gif

Andrew,

mIRC does not do the same as Neeting does. This is what is written in the mIRC page:

"Examples of Chat Links using the irc://... format.

mIRC 5.82 supports URL's of the irc://irc.server.net
tongue.gif
ort/channel?key format. This makes it very easy to add a link on your website leading to your favorite IRC channel!"

Neeting does not need any help from the webmaster, the users "create" the service instead... anyway I think this topic should be moved to "Off Topic" since I wrote it as general information to the community but now I think this has already be done
smile.gif

Originally posted by gheba_nsx:
Andrew,

mIRC does not do the same as Neeting does. This is what is written in the mIRC page:

Correction:
I did not say that Neeting does the same thing as mIRC. What I did say was "I'm a bit stumped as to why someone would use Neeting over mIRC or similar..." IOW, expressing my opinion that most people would stick to programs like mIRC. That's it.

------------------
Andrew Henderson
The NSX Model List Page

- Brock Yates

Back