Vehicle storage near Westchester County, NY

Does anyone know of a good place to hybernate a car for the winter near the Westchester County area? It could be either an NSX or my unsold MR2 Turbo that would need to be stored. I am still working on getting an NSX, narrowing the choices and still haven't made a final decision, but I may not be able to sell the car the NSX will replace before winter sets in. Agreement with the wife was that one car will replace the other, can't keep both in the garage.

I don't really want to give the MR2 away, had it for 14 years and it's near mint, but this is a bad time of year to sell, but a good time to buy. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Tytus

The Westchester storage place is nice but over the top for my needs. The $250 per month deal is sold out but I really only want it until the spring.

The 4 post lift is a great idea unfortunately I have a flat roof on my garage and it has a steel beam at 7'-10" above the floor right at the roof line of the car, this would require raising the roof of the garage, way too much effort there!

A private space would be better, if there are any available anywhere.

Thanks for the ideas though.

Tytus

You can look in the local paper for folks listing garage space for rent.You can look at any storage facility that rents 10x20 ft units.Around my area such units go for about 110$/mo.

I thought you can't store vehicles in storage units? Due to Gasoline? I wouldn't want to drain the gas over winter anyway. Had a freind ruin is motorcycle that way. The tank completely rusted. I talked with Larry B. about storage and he also agreed that gas should not be drained.

I will try the paper, unless you know that you can store cars in storage spaces.

Thanks,

Tytus

Well there are rules and then there are rules:wink: I stored my car for 9 yrs in just such a cold metal box.The owner said ,,you don't keep flamable stuff in there right wink wink.I said of course not.What happens in storage stays in storage!

I have stored my car at Public Storage. You dont need to drain the gas but keep it at a min about 1/4 tank. put in some stabil gas stabilzer. over inflate the tires to 50 lbs.

rates it depends I used to pay 225/month but since the sub prime RE market imploded, you can get for about 130/month.

Public Storage is pretty secure, 24 hour video surveilance, your code to get in is uniquely indentifies you and you need to buy your own lock.

Could you give some details about the MR2?

A cheap option, if you don't mind parking it in a parking garage, is to check to see what the monthly rates are at train stations. In northern NJ, there's the Ramsey Route 17 Station, which has a recently-built parking garage that fits about 300 cars. Due to lack of use, most of the spots remain empty. They actually started renting the upper floors to local car dealers - you'll find a whole bunch of new Audi's on the top floor. The area is secure and they do have cameras. Cost is about $45 a month, or $30 a month if you pay 6 months in advance.

I parked one of my cars there prior to selling it for about 6 months with no incidents.

-Brian.

EDIT: while I have seen a Ferrari parked there among other expensive (but common) cars, if I were in your shoes, I wouldn't park the NSX there. I would just be too paranoid about all the "what-if's" that could happen.

Brian,

Thanks for the storage tip. The MR2 would be stored if not sold soon if I gat the NSX. You can find the MR2 in the Auto Trader, it's the 1992 Turbo stock, clean and mint, best I have seen in NY area. If you are interested PM me and I can send you some more pictures. Don't want to stray off topic here.

Tytus

Attachments

• MR2 143.jpg
    MR2 143.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 696
Back