Vehicle History Inquiry: Red/Black 1992 in Winston Salem JH4NA115XNT000689

As a long-time lurker here, I was hoping someone on Prime would know any history on a NSX that I am interested in purchasing. The car is a red 1992 with aftermarket wheels. I am heading south to look at the car this weekend, but any first-hand experience ahead of time would be appreciated.

00N0N_5eAvdOIT0F9_600x450.jpg

01616_9sEQlvS7mIV_600x450.jpg

Thanks!

This is a long overdue report, but I was passing through that area and met up with "Hokie" to look at the car last year. I just stumbled across my notes so I figured I'd post them.

Long story short, it was in pretty rough shape.

History: Car was originally from Missouri. Carfax reported a front left impact with another vehicle in MO on 30 July 1994, with a note that CarFax first started reporting that information on 26 June 2009. No mileage reported with the accident, but mileage at the prior and registrations renewal just one month earlier was 6,229 so it was practically brand new at the time. March 1995 title issued or updated in Florida at 13,074 miles, then registered in Texas in 1997, then auctioned in Virginia with 42,698 miles in 1998. Next registration was 1999 in North Carolina at 52,674 miles. Then back to Virginia in 2001. Then back to North Carolina in 2008, at which point mileage was recorded as 95,835. Subsequent registration renewals for the same place through 2013.

Overall condition: Pretty much everything was in rough shape and showed neglect, and there were indications of poorly done body work. Most of the typical little things that go wrong as the cars age like split sun visors were on display. Lots of spider webs in all the nooks and crannies, such as where the doors attach to the body. Lots of mouse turds on various surfaces under the front hood.

Body and Paint: Paint showed lots of wear, heavily swirled and dull/oxidized, poorly touched up damage spots (some of them 1/2 inch or more). No two body panels seemed to line up properly. Big uneven gaps between the rear quarters and body where they mate up around the B pillar area. Weird gaps between the body and rocker panels on both sides. Other quarter panels, nose, bumper, trunk, etc. were pretty much all a bit off. Tail lights were scratched and maybe cracked. Had some generic aftermarket wheels with cosmetic damage, I don't remember the details on those but you can see them in the pics from the first post in the thread. Tires were wearing unevenly (even for an NSX), looked like alignment probably wasn't right which is something of a red flag to look into further on crashed NSXs. Metal screws and washers in place of the correct plastic wheel well liner fasteners. There was a really surprising amount of corrosion of all exposed metal. The owner lived on a lake and it didn't appear the car was garaged, but even then the corrosion was extreme. My best guess is it may have spent a lot of time sitting under a car cover that trapped moisture underneath but I really have no idea why it was so corroded. Much sadness.

Drivetrain: Engine looked stock. Seemed to run OK but was leaking oil. In fact everything was so oily I couldn't really figure out the source(s) with it just sitting in a driveway. The bottom of the oil pan was actually wet with oil. I think it may have been missing catalytic converter.. not certain on my memory of that but something to check if you ever look at the car. Transmission is in snap-ring range J4A4-1005122. Clutch worked enough to drive the car, but slipped pretty badly if you accelerated hard in high gear. The seller failed to mention the clutch until we brought it back and he could smell that it had been slipping, then mentioned to us that he thought it might need a new clutch soon.

Interior: Everything was damp or wet. Everything in the trunk was soaking wet and the trunk lid had a ton of condensed moisture on it. The tail lights were full of condensation. But it wasn't just that.. The passenger compartment was damp too with visible condensation all along the door seals.

Electronics: Didn't bother testing.

I think the original listing on the ad was upper $20s. By the time we were done looking at the car the seller had come down to low $20s without any negotiation. Hokie did not end up buying it. I hope it found it's way to someone who will make it a happier car or just turn it into a track car assuming the structure is sound.

Last edited:
Back