Vandalism: Do I need to keep it garaged?

I'm seriously considering an NSX at the moment, but have recently become concerned about potential vandalism. I will not (at least initially) be able to keep it in a garage at my apartment complex.

Is this is a major problem that NSX owners generally have to deal with, or are there certain steps (like car cover/alarm system/camera) you can take to minimize trouble (assuming it's not convenient to simply move to a place with a garage)?

I saw a thread on here where someone's white nsx was douced with paint remover. I'm hoping I don't have to live in constant fear of this kind of rebellious jealousy by purchasing an NSX.

Any thoughts?

--Jordan

The NSX is a flashy, rare, and exotic car that inherently attracts a lot of attention that is positive but unfortunately also negative at times.

One could say that the NSX is a target of sorts.

As such, leaving the NSX out in an open area over an extended period of time is an invitation to vandals in my opinion. Sooner or later things will happen that you won't like.

I've said it before, I'll say it again

I wouldn't have bought an NSX if I didn't have a garage.

And my NSX was vandalized in the public parking structure near my work...so I rarely drive her to the office any more. In other words, you may want to take your workplace's parking situation into consideration as well.

I would not even consider owning an NSX if I didn't have a garage for it. It draws way too much attention to leave it out in the open.

I think it also depends on your neighbourhood. I live in an apt complex in a quite nice neighbourhood and have had no problems with other expensive/exotic cars I have owned(knock on wood). But I have a carport.

KGP said:
I would not even consider owning an NSX if I didn't have a garage for it. It draws way too much attention to leave it out in the open.

Ditto that.
Patience young skywalker, patience :)

I would honestly say wait for the garage... it is just not worth worrying all the time about the car. I had my car outside for nearly a year before anything happened.. but now i am just paranoid..

Well I guess I don't have to spend too much time deciphering how nsx owners feel. I appreciate your feedback, and based on it I think I will wait until September when I have the opportunity to move -- now I just have to focus on getting a place with a garage. ;)

shiva said:
I think it also depends on your neighbourhood. I live in an apt complex in a quite nice neighbourhood and have had no problems with other expensive/exotic cars I have owned(knock on wood). But I have a carport.

I agree. At the moment I only have a car port. I'll be moving into a house with a 2 car fully covered garage in the summer though. I have never had any problems. Where I live at the moment is not exactly considered a nice area, although it is not bad either. Depending on the state and area you live in, even cars like the NSX may not draw too much attention. Hawaii is nothing like Hollywood, but I've been getting more attention in our new 04 Lexus RX 330 than the NSX. If it makes you feel better to wait, yo can do so, but if a good deal presents itself I wouldn't pass it up just because I didn't have a garage.

Back