v-tech ing

hi could any one help with question . "how do you know if the v-tech is working" the reason is i tryed a 2.2 prelude other day and when the v-tech came in the noise level increased big time & it felt like a turbo , my 91 nsx just doesn't feel the same. ???????????????????????????????????????????????????:(

and it won't feel the same. The VTEC in some other models does have a big change the NSX doesn't. You should hear some change in intake noise.

Are you the same hondansxr on Ebay?

T Bell said:
My favorite "VTEC" engagement is with an ITR with an AEM CAI!!! now that is sweet noise!!!. My NSX with an intake sounds good @ VTEC, but only about 1/3 of an ITR sound.

I'm sorry but I would never compare the sound of my NSX to that of an ITR. The ITR may sound louder at VTEC but the overall quality of the noise is like that of a F1 car being compared to a dirt bike.

Hehe listen to my VTEC engagement on my prelude...can you tell where it is? :p

click

hehe that's a built motor though.

And it's VTEC, not v-tech. v-tech is a phone.

yeah my prelude is the some way you can actually feel and hear it kick in

I don't know about you guys, but I KNOW when my VTECH kicks in and WHOOP BABY I'm off and away and it's LOUD! I don't understand how you don't know when your VTEC is induced. When in VTEC mode the accerlation is amazing. I don't know how you don't know :confused:

Brian2by2 said:
I'm sorry but I would never compare the sound of my NSX to that of an ITR. The ITR may sound louder at VTEC but the overall quality of the noise is like that of a F1 car being compared to a dirt bike.

Come on :rolleyes: Obviously you have never driven one with a CAI. They each have their own great sound, but my comment was about the VTEC switchover point, and the ITR is nowhere near the difference from a F1 to a dirtbike.

It's funny that people with Honda cars would still type "vtech" hahaha...anyways. :p

Yea, the vtec switchover in an S2000 is not too shabby either. I also have a CAI on mine as well as a cat back. Here's my best decription of it...

waaaaaaaa *6000rpms* WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH *9000rpms* *shift* PWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

:D

I used to have a '99 Prelude and the sound and acceleration was noticebly nicer. On an S2000 I couldn't really feel anything, but I could hear it.

On the NSX, since its a V6 and I have an HKS intake (mushroom looking one...) It turns into a lower, louder howl.....

Regarding an aftermarket intake....I bought mine with it on, so I don't know what a drop in or stock intake sounds like. On thing different is that when you step on the pedal, you hear this sucking almost like a turbo spooling up. Pretty nice:cool:

timothyaw said:
I don't know about you guys, but I KNOW when my VTECH kicks in and WHOOP BABY I'm off and away and it's LOUD! I don't understand how you don't know when your VTEC is induced. When in VTEC mode the accerlation is amazing. I don't know how you don't know :confused:
First, I assume you're talking about the NSX and not a Prelude/ITR/S2K/etc. Your statement implies the acceleration is much greater when on the high-lift cam. This is not the case...the NSX torque curve is actually quite flat. It rises a little past the switchover to the high-lift cam but it is nowhere near as pronounced as in the other cars listed. I used to own a '96 Prelude SR-V (VTEC) and it was a real kick in the pants when it engaged -- very obvious. The NSX switchover point is very difficult to detect in comparison. I don't note a difference in the sound or the acceleration -- just smooth power all the way from 4000 to 8000 rpm.

BTW the FAQ has another way to identify VTEC engagement:
[JM] How to tell when VTEC is kicking in? Here's a nice indirect way I learned at NSXPO. Watch your oil pressure gauge as you rev up through 5800 RPM. The VTEC system consumes a significant amount of oil flow when it is activated, and you can watch your needle FALL a couple of notches as the revs climb through that point.

Back