• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Using NSX oil filter in a 1993 Legend?

I know Acura sells a shorter oil filter for the Legend, but supposedly the original filter for the Legend matched the NSX's filter.

I have a box of NSX oil filters (15400-PL2-004) that will last me forever, so I wonder whether I can or should give a couple to my daughter for her newly-purchased 1993 Legend. Will this work OK?

BTW, if there's anything I should look for when checking over the Legend this weekend, please post that here too. I've heard that you have to change the radiator immediately if it starts leaking or you'll blow a head gasket, but this car appears to need absolutely nothing, and it's rock solid up to NSX-like speeds.

myf16 said:
I know Acura sells a shorter oil filter for the Legend, but supposedly the original filter for the Legend matched the NSX's filter.

I have a box of NSX oil filters (15400-PL2-004) that will last me forever, so I wonder whether I can or should give a couple to my daughter for her newly-purchased 1993 Legend. Will this work OK?

Yes no worries...

myf16 said:
BTW, if there's anything I should look for when checking over the Legend this weekend, please post that here too. I've heard that you have to change the radiator immediately if it starts leaking or you'll blow a head gasket, but this car appears to need absolutely nothing, and it's rock solid up to NSX-like speeds.

Legends have a history of blowing head gaskets. I'd ask if the coolant was regularly flushed with Honda coolant. Cooling system neglect is one of the biggest factors with Legends blowing head gaskets. Also, watch to make sure the speedo doesn't read eradically or drop to zero. This is a common problem with Legends, and if an automatic, will play havoc with the transmission. Fortunately the repair kit from Acura is about $120 and only takes an hour or so to repair. Mystican here on Prime is a Legend guru.

Q said:
Legends have a history of blowing head gaskets. I'd ask if the coolant was regularly flushed with Honda coolant. Cooling system neglect is one of the biggest factors with Legends blowing head gaskets.

Thanks. The owner did all service at the dealer, and I saw a coolant flush on there. What's a good flush interval? 3 years? On the NSX I go longer because I only drive it 4k miles per year.

myf16 said:
Thanks. The owner did all service at the dealer, and I saw a coolant flush on there. What's a good flush interval? 3 years? On the NSX I go longer because I only drive it 4k miles per year.

I drove my Legend today, so at lunch I'll check my owners manual to see what's suggested. I personally flush mine every year because I'm paranoid and just weird. :smile:

Oh, also make sure the cabin fan works on all settings, another common problem with Legends. Sometimes the problem is caused by a relay that goes bad under the glove box. Mystican knows ALL about this!:biggrin:

The 91-on Legend filter is the NSX filter, the Pl2-305/315 filter came later..I would use the Pl2-004 if you got em..they are far more costly, but if you have them already, go for it.

I worked for Acura from 1990 to 1996, if you have any Legend questions feal free to PM me...JZ

zahntech said:
The 91-on Legend filter is the NSX filter, the Pl2-305/315 filter came later..I would use the Pl2-004 if you got em..they are far more costly, but if you have them already, go for it.
What's the difference between the Pl2-305/315 and Pl2-004 other than price?

I frequent acura-legend dot com often. Check that place out. Not quite as thorough as here, but there is definitely a wealth of knowledge there. There is also some info stickied regarding pre-purchase things to think about and newbie FAQs. If I can be of any assistance let me know. I'm not a mechanic, but I do own a 95 Legend Coupe and do all of my own maintenance. Good luck!

Last edited:
Back