used nsx value question

how much does the value get affected when a car has had a small accident that only required replacing a quarterpanel for cosmetic reasons? The car was in a parking lot and someone bumped it. What is your take on that?

Some other members on prime will be better qualified to give you more accurate information.

I know parts aren't cheap, but I'm not sure how much a rear quarter panel would run, and then to have it painted.

You could always search the site for parts... I could search more too, Ray in NY and the guys in Henderson, NV are known for their customer service and prices, especially for prime members.

What is the year, etc. you have questions about... that will help some of the members give you a more accruate assesment too.

the oem quarter panel is around $2000 if i remember correctly, than you need the labor to replace it, and to blend all the adjacent panels. i would say your looking at a little over $3000 if that is all that is involved.

If the damage is very focal and has been repaired using a quality paint job on a new panel then I would not be concearned about significant devaluation.

sorry, what I meant was it has been fixed already. So if you were looking at that car and saw this would you be concerned? Would it matter that much to the price?

sorry, what I meant was it has been fixed already. So if you were looking at that car and saw this would you be concerned? Would it matter that much to the price?

see my post above,,,,,,in essance ...no.

I think it depends.

Would it affect the price of a 91 as much as a 2005? No.

Here is another thought. What if someone repainted the car but did it with a color that wasn't available in that year of build? For example there is a 91 for sale in Rio Yellow I believe.

Thanks for you help.

Yes, I believe it will limit the market of buyers but you can't necessarily put a price on it. It depends on what other cars are available at the same time. Many buyers, like myself, wouldn't purchase a car that had paint work. If I had to place a dollar figure on it I would guess it would need to be priced 2-3K less than cars that haven't had any paint work.

Big time YMMV on this one. To me, a total repaint is a complete nonstarter (even if original color). The car just isnt old enough for that (even the 91s) as far as Im concerned. "total repaint" to me, is going to mean "car was totaled" :D

Accident repairs are TOUGH for me too... Personally, unless the car is a fantastic deal, I dont want to see ANY history of paintwork. The problem is often the accident history isnt revealed and people are paying top dollar for cars that dont deserve it. KNOWING up front is an interesting question.

For ME (and this is just ONE buyers perception), I dont think I could buy a car with accident history unless there was NO WAY I could afford one without it.

If you buy it and then down the road you gotta sell it- that's when you'll take the hit. The guy that has it now will take one too but paint is one of the biggest items on a car. If you like stock and looking for a nice one - one that's been painted takes about 25% hit. Of course cars do have issues with accidents and it doesn't mean it's a bad one but a total repaint???? One thing for sure there is NO substitute for original paint. Eventually all will need paint but we're not there yet.

The paint on these cars from the factory is phenominal - I can't imagine someone changing the original color unless the car is a frame off resto and about 50 years old.

Very rare to find one that has been repainted to a super high standard - 10k worth of standard! But changing the color would make me wonder who the heck the yahoo was tha did it. I wouldn't touch one like that - too many around that haven't had that mistake made. 91 even isn't that long ago. I sure wouldn't repaint mine unless I could ship it to Japan for the refurbishment program which I don't know if that is still offered. It was at one time. Would be very expensive but one day it could be the thing to do. Porsche has a program like that.

ditto to some of the other comments made.

A complete color change... too many variables and nobody would get the same quality paint job as these cars had from the factory... possibly, but not probable.

The car will always have a non-stock color for the year and the accident trail. Even minor. So if you could get a good deal on it, for a DD or for a track car, or just your own enjoyment. Then pay what it is worth to you.

But there are still quite a few nice cars, original paint, no accidents out there, so to pay a similar price for those, I wouldn't do it personally.

But the car should bring more than a car with a salvage title.

I'm sure a total color change would not have been cheap. But it would be tough to duplicate the 27 step process from the factory on the NSX.

Here is another thought. What if someone repainted the car but did it with a color that wasn't available in that year of build? For example there is a 91 for sale in Rio Yellow I believe.

Thanks for you help.

I think I know what car you are talking about.
It wouldn't make sense to me to do a complete, all over color change just because you had to replace a single panel on the. UNLESS, you just have money to burn and don't care about resale value.

Keep in mind that the original paint work had 27 seperate steps including 4 seperate bakings. Pretty impressive stuff that no one will ever come close to duplicating.

I am talking to a prospective seller now. The price is very good for a later model NA2 NSX. It is Black/Black and has some high miles but the one catch is it had to replace the front quarter panel because of a parking lot accident. The car looks to be in great shape. Black isn't my favorite color but the car is excellent shape. The price is very good too for a second gen NSX. He has records of everything done on the fix as well.

My advice would be to just make sure you have a qualified mechanic and body guy to take a good close look for you.

You're going in "eyes open" which is awesome. If the price is right for you and you can verify with experts that the guy is straight up, this could be a great deal.

The only way to get in to a facelift car or even an NA2 below a certain price level (like $40k I want to say for the NA2 or $50k for the 02+) is to get into a car that has some level of story. Knowing up front and verifying that the story is accurate is fine and is sure a lot better than paying top dollar for a car with HIDDEN stories :D

There are some little tricks to spotting paintwork also that anyone can learn to do. Things like looking for scuffs or rust on panel nuts that are factory paint sealed. Or looking for overspray around seems. Or the telltale sign of tape marks (thin line in the paint around edges). Or even a slight bump in the paint along an otherwise smooth surface where a bit of dirt got trapped during the respray (kind of thing that wont happen in a clean factory environment)

At a BMW dealer my friends and I, checking out a pre-owned CERTIFIED 3 series that was SWORN to be a "creampuff" actually FOUND LEFTOVER TAPE. LOL. We were all laughing. The sales guy looked like he wanted to vomit. So its amazing what you can find (and what people can miss) if you learn to take a close look.

Last edited:
Back