US people's rest of the world knowledge, is this for real??

Last edited:
No, the entire world is dumb. Here's the same video from across the pond:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/w_mkwB9ayK4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

When someone makes a video asking questions, with the intent of including only the stupidest, most ignorant answers received, it can make any country's citizens look stupid. A popular late-night talk show here, "The Tonight Show with Jay Leno", does much the same thing, finding individuals who are exceptionally ignorant and placing them in a mock game show called the "Jay-Walk All Stars".

That being said, I suspect that the average American's knowledge of the rest of the world lags behind that of other developed countries, particularly in Europe, just as the average American's ability to speak additional languages does.

I had a young kid here a few weeks back who had just graduated from a VERY prestigious school. I was quizzing him on American History and this kid could not answer my questions. I was FLOORED!!

I had a young kid here a few weeks back who had just graduated from a VERY prestigious school. I was quizzing him on American History and this kid could not answer my questions. I was FLOORED!!

I know I didn't take any history classes at my university, that was mostly grade school stuff. I also don't remember the details of a lot of the history I learned, because I surely don't use or apply it in my every day life. That's not to say it isn't important and the lessons weren't retained. But logical reasoning >> factual regurgitation.

I know I didn't take any history classes at my university, that was mostly grade school stuff.
In most public schools in the United States, history is taught in high school, not in grammar school.

I also don't remember the details of a lot of the history I learned, because I surely don't use or apply it in my every day life. That's not to say it isn't important and the lessons weren't retained. But logical reasoning >> factual regurgitation.

Consider what George Santayana said: "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

Last edited by a moderator:
I know I didn't take any history classes at my university, that was mostly grade school stuff. I also don't remember the details of a lot of the history I learned, because I surely don't use or apply it in my every day life. That's not to say it isn't important and the lessons weren't retained. But logical reasoning >> factual regurgitation.

These were easy question like who freed the slaves?

You know that right?

In most public schools in the United States, history is taught in high school, not in grammar school.

Sounds like you don't have the slightest clue about the relevance of history to today's world. Consider what George Santayana said: "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

That would be true if the historic event was of relevance to your field of expertise and your social impact due to your choices.

For example someone who's involved in the legal system doesn't need to retain the fact that the space shuttle challenger's launch ended in failure due to a failed design with an o-ring. They don't work in that field and it's not something they need to retain. Just like how a zoologist doesn't need to know that the 5th president of the USA was James Monroe and that he created the Monroe Doctrine.

Knowing general history is good but expecting people to remember minute details and claiming it's important, so that mistakes aren't made again, is kind of outlandish. Especially considering that the type of people who don't know past social impact for certain political choices aren't the type to be making those choices themselves.

In regards to the video: It's kind of funny that some people didn't realize the big island like country in the pacific they were looking at wasn't Australia....

Last edited:
rue, but I was torn between laughing and crying after watching that video. But in the end, I'm just disgusted.

But I'll be damned if relabeling Australia wasn't funny. :biggrin:

Knowing general history is good but expecting people to remember minute details and claiming it's important, so that mistakes aren't made again, is kind of outlandish. Especially considering that the type of people who don't know past social impact for certain political choices aren't the type to be making those choices themselves.

In regards to the video: It's kind of funny that some people didn't realize the big island like country in the pacific they were looking at wasn't Australia....

Most of the questions asked were basic and fundamental questions about the world around us. And while the video was tailored to make the ignorance look extreme, is it really? I would argue that the majority of US citizens are so insulated from world affairs, and even more from world politics that they really don't have a clue how our foreign policy affects us socially and economically.

Your statement was really well said, and to some degree true. But the part that bothers me is that these people vote in those who make the choices. So yes, the quote, "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." still applies.

If you still don't believe it, I'll give you a name, Sara Palin.

Well even a better point because if someone doesn't know it's Abraham Lincoln then they shouldn't be spending a freaking DIME on college.

Next question, What party was Abraham Lincoln affiliated with? Don't be looking it up on the web now.

if someone doesn't know it's Abraham Lincoln then they shouldn't be spending a freaking DIME on college.
Especially if they don't know whose face is on that dime. :smile:

The fact that this country has plenty of ignorance is quite evident from the couple of posters who are extolling ignorance in this topic!

Especially if they don't know whose face is on that dime. :smile:

The fact that this country has plenty of ignorance is quite evident from the couple of posters who are extolling ignorance in this topic!

He was republican so lets not forget what the republican party is about. Like you said "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

Well even a better point because if someone doesn't know it's Abraham Lincoln then they shouldn't be spending a freaking DIME on college.

Next question, What party was Abraham Lincoln affiliated with? Don't be looking it up on the web now.

Lincoln was a republican, and no I did not cheat. I just remembered being surprised a while ago when I found that out that's why I remembered.

US history was taught in 11th grade as I remembered. I never took any history classes in college. By the time you get out of high school, you should already know the US history.

He was republican so lets not forget what the republican party is about. Like you said "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

JFK was Democratic and don't forget what he did during Cuban crisis. BTW, for your info. he was the youngest of US President:tongue:.

Who is the oldest of US President?

Most of the questions asked were basic and fundamental questions about the world around us. And while the video was tailored to make the ignorance look extreme, is it really? I would argue that the majority of US citizens are so insulated from world affairs, and even more from world politics that they really don't have a clue how our foreign policy affects us socially and economically.

Your statement was really well said, and to some degree true. But the part that bothers me is that these people vote in those who make the choices. So yes, the quote, "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." still applies.

If you still don't believe it, I'll give you a name, Sara Palin.

+1. I just saw all those Sara Palin videos from the election and it is just utterly painful.

Sadly, American excellence is turning into American ignorance. Our 15 y.o. test 25th and 21st in math and sciences out of 30 developed nations, but 1st in self-confidence! Our top 5 % came in 23rd overall. A running joke at Beijing University: What do you call a Harvard Student? Ben Dan! (Stupid!). Sad and only getting worse.

Best Regards,

Danny

Just stumbled upon this youtube vid, this cannot be the general intelligence level, can it??:eek:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJuNgBkloFE&feature=player_embedded#at=95

For some reason, you embedded a link that starts halfway into it - missing the best parts.

Here's the full clip, and embedded for everyone's viewing ease. (FYI, you just click on the embed button and copy/paste)

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/fJuNgBkloFE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I have been on long vacation trips to the US 6 times over the last 20 years, making extensive travels through 9 or 10 states, probably covering more of the country than most US citizens seem to do during their lifetime :tongue:.

I did find out first hand that quite a lot of the people that I met generally had very little knowledge of what was (happening) outside of the US.

Strangely, especially the last few years, Holland and/or Amsterdam seemed to mostly trigger envious questions about drugs, if it was true them beiing available all over the place :rolleyes: :mad:

Back