updating your own carfax??

Hi all,
If we do our own oil changes or our own timing belt and basic upkeep, is there a way to amend the carfax report? How do we prove that a car has been taken care of? Just curious thanks!

Carfax does not contain that kind of info, keep records and reciepts. Carfax will also not include info like collision damage if owner repaired on his or her own. I know of many a car that have went through body shops, owner paid out of pocket so no blemished Carfax.

receipts
Yup pretty much this is the only way. Unless of course the person is crafty and can make their own receipts. I may be hosed on this as I actually thought I was being smart by tossing my receipt because my car was almost always serviced by the local Acura dealer. Then when I asked them for a print out, turns out they purge the details from their files. Over 5 years of records, gone. They show me bringing the car in, but no details on what has been done. :frown:

So going forward I try to keep all the receipts now. :cool:

Last edited:
Actually, Carfax may contain detailed service history depending upon if the dealer is participating in that part of the Carfax service. My 97 has every service in the Carfax report since the second owner purchased it. None from the first even though both Acura dealers but one participates and the other doesn't. I've seen it on numerous cars so it's been there for a while. No way to get your own work into it however.

Back