unreal tournament 2004

I got the latest verison of unreal tournament. I have all the previous versions but now i have a problem!! I have a sony vaio laptop model no. pcg-grv550. I've loaded the game, it play great but my backgrounds look horrible!!! They flicker like hell like they are trying to change maps!!!! Very hard to even see the floor on some boards!!! The game runs smooth but I cant really see the backgrounds. any suggestions? I've drivers and still they same thing. I've turned everything down, still the same thing. But buddy has the same laptop ans his is flawless, i've even tried to copy his settings, mine is still messing up. Should i reload?? I ve a ati radeon mobility 7500c card inthe lapop. I know this is fast enough. help!!!!

Hey Ko-NSX,

I've done some searching for you, but you need to provide more tech details here:

What Operating System are you using?
What drivers are you using, and what version are they?
What version of DirectX do you have installed?

Some potential reasons for your problem:

The Radeon Mobility 7500 is quite old. It's a DirectX7 based video device, and comes in 16MB or 32MB. From what i found, it uses integrated system memory [your RAM]. It has no Shader Support (becoming important in games). I obtained these details from <A HREF="http://www.ati.com/products/comparisons/mobilitycomparison.html">here</A>.

If you check the <A HREF="http://www.unrealtournament.com/ut2004/specs.php">UT2004 system specifications</A>, it requires a Video device with 64MB video memory, and it's a DirectX8.1 game.

The low amount of video memory (which is also sharing your system's RAM) might explain why textures are being lost. I'm not sure how UT2004 runs with such an old card.

COURSE OF ACTION:
You should be able to play a DirectX8.1 game on a directX7 card no problem - it just wont support some graphical features and may be slower. Make sure you have DirectX8.1 or DirectX9 installed.

Also, check the Sony website for the latest ATI video drivers. I'm not looking to start a flame war (seems the IT people are overprotective of their video cards) but no offense, ATI has a bad reputation with their drivers. Make sure you have the latest version.

i really need to go to bed. hope this helps.

Try this...

- Right click desktop
- select properties
- select settings tab
- select advanced button
- select troubleshoot
- you have full acceloration set with Enable write combining

Experiment by moving the slider one notch to the left and retest. Keep trying and see if this doesn't eventually work and help you isolate the problem.

Then check for updated drivers with your mfg.

ut2003

Hey nick!!!! Neo and nick, I'm running win xp-pro. I have a sony vaio pcg-grv550. I've updated all the available drivers and I'm running direct x 9.0. went to sony's site and the have ati update. this is the thing. My friend has the exact smae laptop and it runs fine on his. Mine plays, its just the backgrounds keep changing!! Lick flickering. I try to re-install.

Back