Unofficial Non-standard color and non-paint thread

Looking to dip my car, so looking for ideas: please post pics of cars in non-standard NSX livery and state if painted, wrapped or dipped. Please post all dipped or wrapped shots, only post paint if non-standard.

Thanks!!

Recently had a friend peel the plasti-dip from a 370z..... horrible. Not all of it comes off easily esp. On the plastic trim areas. Some of it NEVER came off. Car was originally silver , done in teal
I'll see if I can find pics

If you are doing it yourself, I'd suggest wrapping. Dipping takes a lot of practice and excess additives to get it to an acceptable levels for our cars. With the air bubble free films available, the cost comes out the same if you DIY.

No, definitely not doing this myself, planning on getting this done professionally. The trick is to put 4+ coats on then it just peels off. Or should do. It's bad news apparently with only a couple of coats. I just did a set of wheels with 5 coats and it came off perfectly well. Maybe the Z was not cleaned thoroughly or shot badly or something? I am guessing here, not trying to defend Plastidip. At Cars and Coffee this weekend someone pulled their dip off and it was a mess, but they did it themselves and said they skimped on the coats.

Huge difference in look/quality and price versus a wrap (~$600 vs. $2500+), otherwise I would do the wrap.

I am only looking at the dip as a short term solution as my 91s paint is very poor. Not sure I would do this if it was A+.

I was going to dip mine until I saw what it looks and feels like in person...Don't dip your car!!!
Looks great in pics but like shit in person...spend the extra money and have it wrapped, you'll be glad you did..looks and feels 100 times better and last years instead of months..make sure you find the right shop that takes their time and dismantles the car to do it...don't take it to some commercial type place that will do it in two days and cut corners though..
Don't mean to bust your bubble, just trying to save you the heartache and headache of dipping it..

Here is a recent shot of my berlina black wrapped in Arlon pearl white.

Download-File

Download-File

Last edited:
If you paint is poor, then wrap it and leave it alone. If maintained properly, it should last you years. Just make sure it's a color you can live with. Do it once, do it right.
No, definitely not doing this myself, planning on getting this done professionally. The trick is to put 4+ coats on then it just peels off. Or should do. It's bad news apparently with only a couple of coats. I just did a set of wheels with 5 coats and it came off perfectly well. Maybe the Z was not cleaned thoroughly or shot badly or something? I am guessing here, not trying to defend Plastidip. At Cars and Coffee this weekend someone pulled their dip off and it was a mess, but they did it themselves and said they skimped on the coats.

Huge difference in look/quality and price versus a wrap (~$600 vs. $2500+), otherwise I would do the wrap.

I am only looking at the dip as a short term solution as my 91s paint is very poor. Not sure I would do this if it was A+.

Any one else care to post photos?

here are a few wraps done to my car over the years. original color is berlina.

this is 3m gloss grey anthracite

3m gloss deep blue metallic

here are a few wraps done to my car over the years. original color is berlina.

this is 3m gloss grey anthracite

]

Love that anthracite !!! Always lusted over the Kaiser Silver and that is very similar....that would be top of my list for next color I choose :cool:

More pics please!!!

Back