Unclear VIN on Honda NSX

This is regarding a in Europe sold Honda NSX:

I do not understand why in my newly bought LHD '98 HONDA NSX, on the 10th position it says the letter W.
No other NSX that I know off here in Europe has a letter on 10th position, all others have a number 0 on 10th position, anybody know?

The Vin reads: JHMNA2170WT......
In all the Vin explanations that I can find (incl honda workshop manual) it should read 21700T......, no mention/explanation to be found of the letter W
??????????????????????

I do know that with a ACURA NSX VIN this letter W on 10th position means build 1998, however this is a HONDA

The car was when new sold in Switzerland.

rsevo6 said:
This is regarding a in Europe sold Honda NSX:

I do not understand why in my newly bought LHD '98 HONDA NSX, on the 10th position it says the letter W.
No other NSX that I know off here in Europe has a letter on 10th position, all others have a number 0 on 10th position, anybody know?

In all the Vin explanations that I can find (incl honda workshop manual) it should read 21700T......, no mention/explanation to be found of the letter W
??????????????????????

I do know that with a ACURA NSX VIN this letter W on 10th position means build 1998, however this is a HONDA

The car was when new sold in Switzerland.

The "W" means the model year of the car is 1998

Tips to understanding your vehicles serial (VIN) number

They are as follows:
  • 1<SUP>st</SUP> character- Identifies the country in which the vehicle was manufactured.
    For example: U.S.A.(1or4), Canada(2), Mexico(3), Japan(J), Korea(K), England(S), Germany(W), Italy(Z)
  • 2<SUP>nd</SUP> character- Identifies the manufacturer. For example; Audi(A),
    BMW(B), Buick(4), Cadillac(6), Chevrolet(1), Chrysler(C), Dodge(B),
    Ford(F), GM Canada(7), General Motors(G), Honda(H), Jaquar(A), Lincoln(L), Mercedes Benz(D), Mercury(M), Nissan(N), Oldsmobile(3), Pontiac(2or5), Plymouth(P), Saturn(8), Toyota(T), VW(V), Volvo(V).
  • 3<SUP>rd</SUP> character- Identifies vehicle type or manufacturing division.
  • 4<SUP>th</SUP> to 8<SUP>th</SUP> characters- Identifies vehicle features such as body style, engine type, model, series, etc.
  • 9<SUP>th</SUP> character- Identifies VIN accuracy as check digit.
  • 10<SUP>th</SUP> character- Identifies the model year. For example: 1988(J), 1989(K), 1990(L), 1991(M), 1992(N), 1993(P), 1994(R), 1995(S), 1996(T),
    1997(V), 1998(W), 1999(X), 2000(Y)------2001(1), 2002(2), 2003(3)
  • 11<SUP>th</SUP> character- Identifies the assembly plant for the vehicle.
  • 12<SUP>th</SUP> to 17<SUP>th</SUP> characters- Identifies the sequence of the vehicle for production
    as it rolled of the manufacturers assembly line.

In all the Vin explanations that I can find (incl honda workshop manual) it should read 21700T......

Like mentioned earlier, I know the letter W means 1998 for Acura
It isn't used in the Vin of any of the Honda NSX I know here in Europe and isn't mentioned in the workshop manual either
All the 1997 and 1998 NSX that I know of have 21700T......, so no production year letter in the Vin.
However, my car's Vin does show up in the Dealer's databank as a Eurospec. Honda NSX, so it is as it should be:rolleyes: . Just strange that my NSX seems to be the only one here that has the year letter in the Vin.:confused:

Yes, it's strange. W for a North American market NSX designates the model year, as NSX-GUY notes. But in Europe, all the cars have a zero because the model year is determined by when the car is first sold, rather than when it is manufactured. So it makes sense for a North American market car, but it shouldn't be in the dealer's database as a European market car. :confused:

Back