Umm Snap ring?

I am considering a 91 or 92 -ish NSX. I keep hearing something about a snap ring problem the early model cars have. Can someone shine light on what this is, how it is, and how do I know if a car has it.

If there are any other problems I should know about that would be awesome to know as well

Peace in the middle east
G

The FAQ section will give you the details, or just do a quick search. Having said that, a snap ring car is not a deal breaker in my opinion (I searched for 6 months for my NSX and ended up buying a 92 that was in snap ring range). This could vary well be a non-issue. If the car does indicate signs of a snap rign failure (popping in and out of gear upon decelleration), the fix is approx. $1,500 (about $800 for a new case, ring, and bearing and $700 for the labor). Therefore, many times buyers and sellers negotiate a slight discount to cover these potential costs if they occur down the road. If it is in snap rign range and has no sympoms. drive it. If it shows signs of the snap ring broken, stop driving it, get it into the shop, and do the $1,500 fix. Simple as that. If the snap ring issue has been addressed (i.e., case replaced with new ring and bearing), I don't think it should be an issue at all and should not command any discount (JMHO). Most times when the owner goes in to do that, he puts a new clutch in to save the $800 labor cost. You might get a lower mileage key component (clutch) as a bonus!! The clutch is a $1,500 repair. PM me if you need some more info as I fretted over this like you are doing. I don't want to stir up the snap ring hornet's nest here as I got an unusual blessing from the good folks at Acura, but suffice it to say that I ended up with the OPTIMAL solution.

Back