Turbo oil system

I been using tilton electric oil pump for 2 years now. I had the car on the lift the other day and I notice the rear of the oil pump where the cooling fan is, there was plastic melted. It looks like the cooling fan got stopped I don't know how and pump just snap it and created friction so plastic cover melted. Oil pump still works but I need a replacement.

My question to the guys running Turbo's. What electric oil pump do you use? Brand and where can it be purchased. I got my at summit racing but I don't know if tilton is OK for this purpose.

Thanks,

Tilton.

Gerry Johnson sourced and installed it. I have the unit that Cartech sells with its system that I'd sell cheap if you want to try it. I don't know if it is adequate or not.

Ben

We used a Holley fuel pump. Small and inexpensive (under $100.00) works flawlessly.

Armando

holley_inlineFPelec.jpg

The pump supplied by cartech failed miserably on my car with the previous owner. Autowave installed an upgraded pump labeled ESP buy according to Shane it's really a Reverso pump. Works good now.
Enrique

Armando, I'm sure your system is well designed and I will probably go with Holley too. But this Holley fuel pump is a push not pull pump. It needs to be below oil tank? or it works above the oil tank and after priming it work OK? I think it is rotor vane and Reverso is gear pump. I have no clue what design will work better in scavenging the oil from turbo.

Thanks,
Dave

Armando, I'm sure your system is well designed and I will probably go with Holley too. But this Holley fuel pump is a push not pull pump. It needs to be below oil tank? or it works above the oil tank and after priming it work OK? I think it is rotor vane and Reverso is gear pump. I have no clue what design will work better in scavenging the oil from turbo.

Thanks,
Dave

Dave

The pump is designed to work as a push pump, the priming of the system is taken care of by the factory oil pump which pushes the oil thru the Turbo. Once thru the Turbo the Holley pump makes sure that the oil returns to the pan.

Armando

Armando,
Does your oil from the turbo drain to an accumulator tank before the pump before the pump picks it up? Or, is your pump connected directly to te oil drain hose coming from your turbo?

Also, does your car consume more oil than it did before the turbo installation? Mine does and I'm wondering if I should consider your oil pump set-up to see if it makes a difference.

Armando,
Does your oil from the turbo drain to an accumulator tank before the pump before the pump picks it up? Or, is your pump connected directly to te oil drain hose coming from your turbo?

No the oil pump picks up directly from the turbo itself.

Also, does your car consume more oil than it did before the turbo installation? Mine does and I'm wondering if I should consider your oil pump set-up to see if it makes a difference.

My car did not burn any oil before the installtion of the Turbo, after the install we are seeing about 1/4 quart every 1200 miles or so.

Armando

Thanks Armando.
I got the Holley fuel pump on Friday and it looks well build. I'll try what you have and suck from turbine directly instead of an small oil tank.

For SS cables I run -3AN with inlet restrictor and -8AN on return. I was thinking going with -10AN on return but I think -8AN is big enough.

Dave

We prefer to use the Tilton, we’ve had one on the car for about 3 years now without a glitch. Our primary decision on this pump was the fact that we used them on a regular basis for our Baja 1000 races. 36 hours straight, 100+degree heat, and a few bumps:biggrin: without a problem.

Thanks for the info Armando,
I would be very happy with 1/4 quart oil consumption per 1,200 miles. When I picked up my car from Factor X it had the Tilton pump and an oil accumulation tank after the turbos. It consumed about 1 quart every 400 miles or so (and still does). I don't know the reason for the heavy oil consumption, but sure would like to get it solved. I was wondering if trying a direct connection of the pump to the turbo oil outlet (without using the oil accumulaiton tank) would be worth trying. And if so, is the Tilton pump too big.... i.e. would it create too much vaccuum on the oil outlets on the turbos.

I dont think what you are suggesting would have any impact on lessening the oil consumption. You might be getting some blow by and I would also check the seals on the turbo. Good Luck

Armando

Thanks for the info Armando,
I would be very happy with 1/4 quart oil consumption per 1,200 miles. When I picked up my car from Factor X it had the Tilton pump and an oil accumulation tank after the turbos. It consumed about 1 quart every 400 miles or so (and still does). I don't know the reason for the heavy oil consumption, but sure would like to get it solved. I was wondering if trying a direct connection of the pump to the turbo oil outlet (without using the oil accumulaiton tank) would be worth trying. And if so, is the Tilton pump too big.... i.e. would it create too much vaccuum on the oil outlets on the turbos.

Also if you are just running to stock PCV valves those tend to also have some blow-by and allow pressure into the crankcase causing you to burn some oil. Do you run a dedicated catch can? Ever find your dip stock likes to pop up?

J. R.

My car did come from the builder with a dedicated catch can attached to the front bank's PCV valve. The oil catch can did not ever accumulate much oil. The PCV valve had been gutted out and functioned as an elbow connector. The Dipstick never had any indication of popping out.

I have replaced the gutted-out PCV valve with a brass positive seal check valve (with minimal activating pressure) that allows air pressure to escape from the front valve cover. The rear valve cover is vented (basically to atmosphere) without any sort of PCV valve.

Should I try something different?

I don't think that my turbo seals are leaking oil into the intake side because there is no oil in the air pipes or intercooler. The plugs do have oil fowling but it doesn't appear to be coming from the turbos.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have a similiar oil consumption issue on a low compression build motor(still awaitng turbo install) and I've been given the recommendation to check the valve seals. Now I don't relish the mechanical work I have to do to check this variable, but I also can't make any other determination of what is causing the consumption.

Back