Trip to San Fran and Napa questions

I'm going to be vacationing in SF for 10 days in August and need to know of some good places to visit. I'm going to be staying in Monterey for the Pebble Beach Concours the end of my trip, so that part is already taken care of. I haven't been to SF in 20 years so I probably will do the tourist things with my gf.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions of places to stay and things tosee. I want to stay in the city for a few days, and then head to Napa for some winery tours and a balloon ride.

Maybe I can even meet some of your Cali NSXer's for dinner one night.

-TIA

Dr. Lane,

When I was there I stayed at the Fairmont with my fiancee on Nob Hill which is a great central point for everything in the city. Walking up and down those hilly streets made me loose a few pounds.
1. Did the Hornblower dinner cruise the first night
2. Tour Muir Woods and then Sausilito across the golden gate 2nd day.
3. Fisherman's Wharf 3rd day
4. Sony Metroplex center/museum
5. China Town Dim Sum and shopping
6. Financial District -downtown
7. Golden Gate Park and The presidio
8. Visited Berkeley Area.
9. Spent and Done went back home
10. Tried to spot NSX. Lost this game (did not see one)

Tan

I said it before and I'll say it again... Hamburger Mary's:D

Good list Tan.

If you've never done it, Alcatrez is fascinating. Take the sunset cruise over and make sure to listen to the audio tour.

If you like crab, they have good dungeness crab there...at the Pier (Crab House) or in town (a restaurant called "The Stinking Rose").

Ride the streetcar, hanging off the side.

See Lombard Street - curviest street in the work

If you like chocolate, visit Ghirardelli Square.

Check out Francis Ford Coppola's winery in Napa...make sure to go upstairs and see several cool things : Oscar Awards, Don Corleone's desk from the Godfather and AN ORIGINAL TUCKER automobile.

It's also the prettiest winery in Napa, IMO.

Another winery

Go check out Andrettie's winery in Napa, kinda small but you can get some racing photos and whatever and don't forget about the wine. I think there is going to be a BBQ arounf that time and Mario is going to be there, but you have to be a wine club member to go.

if you're in chinatown, you can't miss golden gate bakery on grant street (next to an old chinese theater)....the best egg custards in the world. i find myself standing in a long line every time i go.....the timing is important also. they're in business for a few months and then take off for vacation for a few months....wonder why?

Near Sears Point Raceway (or whatever they call it now) there is an awesome winery called Viansa. Great view, great wine, great appetizers, and you can go there with a nomex race suit and red sparco shoes on and no one will look at you funny :D
Aaron

You may want to consider the Historics at Laguna Seca while you're in Monterey for the Concours, more info on that here: http://www.montereyhistoric.com/
I would also consider the Concorso Italiano http://www.concorso.com/gallardo.asp which, in many people's opinions is the main attraction of the weekend. It focuses more on the types of cars and less on individual medals. Last year there was a new Ford GT40, a Saleen, Buggatti, and Zonda unveiled his Pagani (or is it the other way around?) the year before, as well as all the requisite Ferarris, Lambos, and Maseratis. The NSX guys have a corral and a small birthday gathering for me!

While in Napa make sure you visit the Coppola winery. Truly great wines and fantastic memoribilia from his movies. There's even a Tucker, and his Oscars on display.

But one of my favorite places is the Mendicino Coast. It's breathtakingly beautiful up there, although it's quite a drive. And go for a hike in Muir Woods before Pacific Lumber cuts down all the old-growth redwoods!

I already have reservations for the Monterey/Italiano Concours, that was the reason for my extended vacation.

I still don't know what part of the city to stay in though. Should I stay near the Wharf, or somewhere downtown? I figure that since I'll be sightseeing all day that I don't need to stay in a 5 star hotel, anyone have any suggestions.

Thanks for the advice so far guys. NSXer's are definitely the best friends to have.

You may want to consider the Archbishops Mansion found here.

I stayed there once and found it to be comfortable and centrally located, right on the square where the five "Painted Ladies", the victorian houses of postcard fame live.

Also, when you're here try to refrain from calling it San Fran. We locals cringe at that.

And has anyone mentioned the Alcatraz tour yet? It's really interesting and informative, and the boat ride on the bay is fantastic!

Last edited:
Dr.Lane said:
I already have reservations for the Monterey/Italiano Concours, that was the reason for my extended vacation.
We're planning to do something similar, but shorter (!). Hopefully we'll see you at the Concorso and Historics.

The above tips are all good... philosophically, travelling along the West Coast is often just as much about the journey as it is the destination.

Get a cool rental car, point it at one of many twisties lining PCH / US-1 (Monterey -> San Francisco, or even go north from SF into Eureka, heading for the Oregon border) and you'll have a blast. You'll find a bunch of fun cliffside/canyon roads -- much different from the South Florida flatlands. Makes me wish I could rent an NSX (with adequate luggage space :) )

Back