Trim Paint

So my 1991 trim door pieces are showing paint wear. Anyone know what type of "paint" to use to duplicate the thick leather look finish that is on the trim?

100_2025.jpg

Your door handles could be easily confused with mine. I too am curious what could be used to restore them. I don't EVEN want to know what these would cost new.

Try Color Bond's Ford black. It is a reasonable color match for the black plastic trim pieces in the NSX and has a similar low gloss bordering on flat finish. You will need to sand the handle part to remove the scratches. Take the handle to an upholstery shop or auto restorer that does vinyl repair. They should be able to fill in the nicks in the vinyl for you and replicate the grain. There are kits that you can use to do this yourself; however, I have never had any satisfactory results attempting a fix using a kit. Once the vinyl covering is fixed, you can spray the whole part with the Color Bond to get a consistent color. Before doing this, you will need to spray with Color Bond adhesion promoter to get good adhesion to the hard plastic or metal parts.

I have had good luck with Color Bond on a number of projects; but, be aware that it is still a relatively thin paint coat. Anything that you can spray out of an aerosol can is going to be relatively thin. As a result, the handle part is going to show wear after a while. A more durable solution might be to take the handle portion to an auto body shop and see if they can shoot it with a commercial auto body paint. That would also be more expensive!

Back