Transmission Number - location

Does anyone know the easiest way to find out my transmission number? I want to check to see if it is in the 91-92 "snap ring failure" range?

Thanks,
Mike

Here's a visual reference since the FAQ doesn't have actual pics. Lud, feel free to include these images to the appropriate page in the FAQ.

A visual perspective of where to actually look for the transmission number. The tag has a bar code with the number above it.

transnum.jpg

The VIN on the inside of the engine compartment body panel behind the rear valve cover.

vinback.jpg

monarch_kiss said:
So if I change transmission; is the VIN # the same ? or that number sticked with the transmission ?
The VIN stays with the car. If you replace the transmission, you have a new transmission ID number, but your car has the same VIN as it did before.

Hi guys... I am in the process of buying nt000419 (92) and this is my first post.

I have been looking into the snap ring issue, but can not locate the Trans tag # as shown here and in the photo. The tag does not appear on my car as the photo shows. There IS a white tag
attached to a black wire wrap near that area.

- Is there any chance the trans cases were replaced and the new tag was attached here?

the number from the tag is 32107-slo-a400

I know it is not the same sequence of numbers/letters as the trans tag is supposed to be. I am a little lost.

I read somewhere on the site (now can not find it) that no cars after nt002500 have shown snap ring trouble? -Is that correct?

*** This is a great site with tons of great information!!!!
Thanks to all here and I look forward to the learning curve.
(I have been a long time Porsche guy, (still am) but I love this car)

Any help is much appreciated!!
Thanks- Jolt (my initials + the O)

jolt said:
I read somewhere on the site (now can not find it) that no cars after nt002500 have shown snap ring trouble? -Is that correct?
No. The 1992 VIN sequence never went that high. You are thinking of my posts about the 1991 VIN sequence, in which I have stated that 1991 cars below roughly MT002500 left the factory with transmission numbers less than the snap ring range.

Thanks nsxtacy.... I was not sure how that was stated. I understand now.

Still looking for any helpful info about the trans tag if anyone knows.

Thanks!! -Jolt

Back