Transmission Issue? Can't get into first or whole left side of shifter.

Hello. I have a 2000 6SPD NSX. Got it mid this year and love it. Great car. Recently I have been getting some weird transmission issues. Sometimes at a stop, the shifter literally won't let me get into the left gate to go into first. It feels like theres a wall blocking it and it just stays in the area of neutral (between 3rd and 4th). Oddly enough, the shifter will go into the right gate though (to access 5th and 6th). I tried to do some searching but couldn't find anything. Found a lot of threads about notchy shifting, but this is totally different. Just last night I was stuck at a light because it took forever for me to get it into first. Really weird. And sorry it's kindve hard to explain. Never had this issue with any of my past cars.

Anybody else have this issue? Clutch master cylinder looks good. No leaks.

Last edited:
If you can't get it to go into the left gate I would pull the console and verify there isn't anything wrong or binding with the shifter mechanism when you are pushing left. If everything looks normal I would then verify the shift cables and actuators are moving freely and nothing is binding there.

If you can't get it to go into the left gate I would pull the console and verify there isn't anything wrong or binding with the shifter mechanism when you are pushing left. If everything looks normal I would then verify the shift cables and actuators are moving freely and nothing is binding there.

X2 seems like a shifter cable or mechanism issue. Check under the console and under the tranny

all stock? how many miles? how many owners?

Sorry guys I should've given more info. I am the 3rd owner. 2nd Owner, owned the car for about 10 years. All stock except the clutch was replaced with the SOS clutch and flywheel kit. Installed by Hilltop Auto just earlier this year before I purchased the vehicle at 43K miles. It now has near 45K miles. I'm guessing its safe to say that the tranny fluid is not the culprit here because they most likely used new fluid. Also it shouldn't be the fluid anyway right, because shifting in general is actually really smooth. Its not notchy. Just an issue with the actual shifter not going left. Really scary to be honest because I stop traffic at a light for a good amount of time. People behind me were not happy when it happened the last few times.

Thank you. I really wasn't sure what to look at or if this was a common issue. I'll pull out the whole console dash area to see the shifter cables in action today. I saw some photos on this forum, looks like I just remove the trim around the AC vents? which expose two screws on top that hold the center console trim?

- - - Updated - - -

NVM found a good write up on the center console removal. Looks fun lol. Just in case anybody else is wondering : http://nsxe-repair.com/CCUremoval.html. I'll try driving around with the center console removed. When it gets stuck again, which happens maybe like 1 out of 4 times I stop at a light, I should be able to see if there is something blocking it. I hope its something minor and not an actual transmission case issue. Not sure if just moving the shifter to the left has anything to do with synchros or anything major in the transmission?

FYI this started happening when the weather dropped. I purchased the car during summer and this never happened until recently.

Last edited:
Pretty much if you want to find out immediately if it's the tranny or cables lift the car up, look where the cables enter the tranny, pull the plastic cover off revealing where the cables connect, remove the shifter cable where they connect on the tranny, and with your hands you should be able to move the arms (what the cables normally do) into every gear. If with your hands you cant access the "left" side it's something in the tranny, if you can it's the calbles or shift lever.

When you move the the lever left or right all you are doing in the tranny is moving the lever to the correct direction to push the respective rods which actually move the gear set synchros. So if it doesn't want to go into the "left" side and it's not your cables or shifter lever, then it's not your synchros or gears either, it's the shifter mechanism inside the tranny, something malfunctioned.

First thing I would do is remove the cover on the bottom of the trans (Plastic Gray Cover) for the shift Cables. Remove the cables from the trans levers(cotter pins, no big deal) and see if you can shift the trans from there. If you can, then go to the console. If you cannot the trans is the issue. This is a pretty quick check, before you remove the whole console. The console finish is VERY fragile, so if you really need to be careful not to scratch it. Getting the vent out is the hard part. See BrianK's writeup for removal to change the CC;).

HTH,
LarryB

Last edited:
Back