TRADE IN VALUE/1991

Originally posted by DURIM91NSX:
What do you think a 1991 red/black with 35k ,waterpump,timingbelt,all records and very clean is really worth if I were to trade it in at a dealer?

less then you will get from a private sale.I would try that first.this boards nsx for sale forum would be a good start
david

Originally posted by BadCarma:
less then you will get from a private sale.I would try that first.this boards nsx for sale forum would be a good start
david

Yes, less than you would get get through a private sale. Dealers will usually give you low wholesale from Kelly.

SELL IT PRIVATLY!!
I know its a little work,(but) the market is strong for the 91,92,93's they move quickly.
I do not know what the dealer will offer but it wont be good, I'll say I'd give you 10-20% more of their quote (and not need the car) then I'd sell it and make a few grand(unless of course they hide the cost in the sale price of the car your purchasing....)
Just my thoughts.....and my opinion. www.mynsx.com

I bet a dealer would give you 25K. If you sold privately, you will get closer to 35K.

There are multiple reasons for this. One, of course, is that dealers need to make a profit when they sell the car, so they have to pay significantly less than they expect to sell it for. Another is that dealers are generally not in a position to recognize the added value of things like all the maintenance being done.

I think NetViper's numbers are spot on.

The dealer value will be very low, so hold on to your hat.
smile.gif

------------------
Mason
Tire Rack sales...contact me for all your wheel and tire needs.
1-800-428-8355
Ext. 619

1991 Acura NSX (auto)

i hate trying to sell a car privately. too much hassle.
i sold my stock 96 + exhaust - cd changer with 30k miles for $42,750 to a dealer. if i was lucky, i may have gotten $45k privately.

The dealer will give you the absolute lowest trade. In my experience, they don't really care how well you took care of the car.

A few years back, I had a '96 Accord EX Coupe with every conceivable Honda accessory on it. It was in impeccable condition. I was going to sell it privately but they wanted a shot and make an offer. I've seen ads for the car selling for $14-$15K. All they checked was for the VIN and mileage. I asked them if they wanted to check out the engine and interior. Not interested. They came back with $11K. What about the CD, spoiler and all the extras? They offered $25 for each while I spent hundreds on them. Needless to say, I refused the offer and sold the car for $14.5K. The guy who bought it was amazed at how clean the car was and was happy to find one. To the dealer, it's just something they want to sell for a profit. That's all that matters.

Originally posted by NetViper:
I bet a dealer would give you 25K. If you sold privately, you will get closer to 35K.

I'm pretty and impatient as far as the crap w/ selling a vehicle "but" for 10k I'd develope patience or ask a friend or my secretary to screen out the bull#$%% calls w/ a few basic questions and answers,I'd take it from there.

Hey good luck whatever you choose,,,
Are you getting another NSX or gonna do something different??? www.mynsx.com

Joel:
"lowballing is in the eye of the beholder".
What do you do for a living? I bet if you did it for what it cost you to do it, you wouldnt be driving an NSX!!

A dealer has to make money to stay in business. There are a lot of other things to pay for besides the cost of the car. Profit is not the sale price less the cost.

Selling a car privately can be a real pain, especially when its a car like the NSX. @ $35ish, a lot of different types of people could be legitimate buyers, how do you decide which ones to take seriously, and let drive your baby? Phone calls at all hours of the night, and lets not forget that when you trade your car in, if you are going to replace it, you only pay tax on the difference, here thats 6-1/2% on top of what the dealer is giving you. Not a ton, but some!!
Another option is to have a high line dealer sell the car for you on consignment. You reap all the benefits of a private party sale, plus reach a national audience and give long distance prospective customers peace of mind in dealing with an established business as opposed to an unknown individual. with a smaller commision to the dealer (less costs, and risks involved for the dealer)

I personally sold an NSX through my dealer to a member of NSX prime,across the country, who is now doing a lot of fun stuff, and we still keep in touch. feel free to jump in here Russell.

To an average dealer, how well you took care of the car is indeed a moot point, because they have 20 salesmen who will tell any prospective buyer what ever he or she wants to hear, to a dedicated, Quality dealer, service records are worth GOLD!!
I can sell a car with good records in a heartbeat!! there fore, the risk is lower, and I'm willing to pay a bit more.

DURIM91NSX:
I am not far from you, and would be happy to help you sell your car. email me @ [email protected] , and I'll let you know what I can do for you.

Peace

Steve

------------------
Steve
91 NSX
01 MDX
02 M3 SMG

[This message has been edited by SJJ28 (edited 16 October 2002).]

Originally posted by SJJ28:
Joel:
...and lets not forget that when you trade your car in, if you are going to replace it, you only pay tax on the difference, here thats 6-1/2% on top of what the dealer is giving you.

This is not true in Illinois or any of the other states and is the most propogated story that dealers tell you. You go to any DMV that charges sales tax and tell them you are replacing a car through a private sale. Regardless of whether you buy the new car from a dealer or not you can apply the private sale towards your taxes. If you don't believe me - call your DMV. I am yet to hear of a state that gives tax credits to new/used car dealers only.

Also - the dealer uses the 2 things that typically apply to the stock market - fear and greed. Ask yourself if it is worth the 10K extra in your pocket? How HARD to you have to work for 10k AFTER taxes? If you are insensitive to 10k then by all means - make it easy on yourself. Just remember that the dealer has to make 3-4k minimum to cover the costs and overhead they have plus the profit they must make. You can always spend a couple weeks and a $100 and try it yourself first before taking their low ball offer.

YMMV

You guys are also forgetting that more often than not, the dealer does not actually want your trade in car and would prefer to sell their car straight out. Also, consider that what you see others selling the car for in Autotrader is not what it is worth to a dealer. It is just an asking price. Remember that they have other sources to obtain vehicles at wholesale prices. Why would they want to trade in a car for top money and cut profits, when they can sell it straight out to someone else and make more? It also depends on what kind of vehicle you are trading to what kind of dealer. A Ford Taurus would be the last thing that a highline dealer would want, and they would pay you accordingly. Also, no matter what we think NSX's are worth, they are generally considered by most dealers to be a undesireable car. You just need to find the right dealership to trade your car with.

Cars are commodities. Dealers don't have any attachment to them. 90% of the value of most cars is the year and miles.

Also, you pay retail for options on new cars. Dealers buy them wholesale and sell them to you retail. Simple business. When you trade in a car (or sell to a dealer), the dealer is willing to pay the depreciated wholesale value, nothing more.

The wholesale price of a car is the ACV (actual cash value). That's the ammount of money the dealer can get for the car today, right now if he picks up the phone and calls one of his wholesalers, not the price he might get if he lets if sit on his lot for 2 weeks. Because then, of course you realize that the car has depreciated more and is now worth less than he paid (dealer price guides in the east come out every week).

I would sugget e-bay. Cost is minimal and exposure is incredible. I've watched a number of vehicles go at surprisingly high prices. Definately seems to work to the seller's advantage. Have your car professionally detailed and include pictures of the engine bay, front compartment, etc. in spotless condition.

If you've been having your car serviced at Acura of Brookfield, talk to John Vasos, the service manager there. He is often familiar with folks who are looking for a particular NSX. He'll be happy to hook you up with such potential buyers, at no additional cost to you. That's the kind of guy he is, and the kind of top-notch service his organization provides.

incase anyone is interested their is an NSX on ebay with 68k 91 stick blk for buy it now 25k. looks tight.it is in tampa and I would be willing to check it out for a serious looker
david

Originally posted by matteni:
This is not true in Illinois or any of the other states and is the most propogated story that dealers tell you. You go to any DMV that charges sales tax and tell them you are replacing a car through a private sale. Regardless of whether you buy the new car from a dealer or not you can apply the private sale towards your taxes. If you don't believe me - call your DMV. I am yet to hear of a state that gives tax credits to new/used car dealers only.

Also - the dealer uses the 2 things that typically apply to the stock market - fear and greed. Ask yourself if it is worth the 10K extra in your pocket? How HARD to you have to work for 10k AFTER taxes? If you are insensitive to 10k then by all means - make it easy on yourself. Just remember that the dealer has to make 3-4k minimum to cover the costs and overhead they have plus the profit they must make. You can always spend a couple weeks and a $100 and try it yourself first before taking their low ball offer.

YMMV
Both of your statements are absolutely false. 1. that you can save the taxes if you sell your 'trade' privately. This can only be done on very rare occasions AND only if you buy the 'new' car privately AND only in 17 states AND you better have the 'trade' legally sold BEFORE you buy the new car. If you buy from a dealer, they have to do your tag/title work. You always have to pay tax on a cash diference and if there is NO trade, then the cash difference is the selling price of the new car, therefore, you pay ALL the taxes.

2. A dealer absolutely does not need to make 3-4k on a car deal. That's just absurd. I wish. Average used car deal nationwide is $1,800. This includes front, back, and dealer fee. So, for example, $800 front end profit, warranty and gap ins net another $700 plus ~$3-400 dealer fee equals $18-1900. That's it. Of course, I run closer to $2,300
smile.gif
but that is definitely on the HIGH end of industry standard.

Todd is right. Those who projected a $10K gross profit for a dealer were mistaken. (And that doesn't even count all the overhead that dealers have and SSJ28 mentioned, such as salaries/commissions, rent, etc.)

First of all, you don't know how much a dealer will offer for the car. Take it to a bunch of different dealers, including Acura dealers and others who specialize in high-end sports cars. You'll probably find a range of prices; some may offer $25K, while others may offer more.

Secondly, a dealer can't necessarily command the same premium for an immaculate car with all records that a private seller can. An average dealer is likely to sell it for whatever the black book indicates, period. However, a high-end specialty dealer (as above) can charge more than black book because typically they have a reputation with their customers for immaculate cars without issues. The customers accept this and are willing to pay higher prices because they know that these dealers provide cars that are worth paying extra for.

So the average dealer might offer you $25-28K and list it in an ad for $33K and actually sell it for $30-32K. And the high-end specialty dealer might offer you $30-33K and not even advertise and actually sell it for $35-37K. In either scenario, the gross profit is nowhere near $10K and possibly as low as $2K.

It seams we are talking 2 things - trade or cash value. NSX or average used car.

My comments specifically applied to cash value and the NSX.

I would like to see any dealers paying CASH right now of up to 10k less then what most would consider fair market value. In other words around $23k for a 91 with moderate, well cared for, well maintained miles that would go for $33k. You will not find it. If it is on a trade and they have money to be made on the car you are buying - perhaps - but not cash in your hand today. Please provide reverences and amounts they are paying cash as a service to the rest of us.

Also - Florida does not charge sales tax per http://www.hsmv.state.fl.us/dmv/faqmotor.html if I am reading this right so perhaps they are one of the other 17 states.

This year in Missouri - I sold 2 cars on ebay and bought a used car from Canada. I filled out the form at the DMV and the 2 cars I sold happened to be equal to the used car I LATER bought so I paid NO sales taxes.

If your state charges sales taxes and gives special consideration to dealers that you can absolutely not get on your own - please post that state's name so I can verify with the DMV's web site/phone number and post my apology.

If you believe that the dealer you are trading your car in to is providing a service vs. selling you NSX - that is fine. IMO and most financial advisors opinions it is by far better to sell your car yourself then through a dealer. It is a lot harder for most people to make the thousands of dollars after taxes then it is to sell an NSX.

BTW - I would rather have people from my town calling me during the sale and looking over the car then have a dealer hounding me every day to do a deal.

------------------
Nick M

91' Red/Black with Many Mods
99' Honda Odyssey with Many Kids

Back