• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Track events

Never heard of hyperfest, but that's not saying much either.

I'm talking about HPDE's though. Specifically I was told by a wise old gentleman that I should stick with running with certain groups as well. One being chin motorsports and I think trackmasters also, chin would be my first choice since they run events up and down the east coast.

I will tell you that Tarheels BMW is a great group at VIR. I just spent the weekend with them at VIR. And last night they opened the registration for the end-of-June event at VIR North Course, which I hadn't been excited about but everyone says is awesome. I know you were looking later but they are great and I will be there. It would be fun to have another NSX. You have to be a BMW CCA member but that's quick and painless. For a small addition you can name a second affiliate group. The club in DC, the NCC chapter, prohibits removable-top cars but Delaware Valley and Southern New Jersey have good reputations and run at Summit Point.

Chin will be there immediately before BMW Tarheels but the nonweekend events are a lot harder for me.

Hyperfest is a big car-show event I think, which also includes HPDE. I prefer straight HPDE. I hear Trackdaze is a decent group and will be at Summit Point with them in May.

Where are you located?

Awesome, I'll do some research with the bmw club. I forgot about trackdaze, another member recommended them as well. I'm located in New Orleans right now but will be traveling back up to PA in the summertime where my car is stored. I'm in the Philadelphia region.

This is the Tarheels BMW club for VIR: http://tarheelbmwcca.org/track.html
You may find some useful info on the calendar I assembled.
Let me know if you find an event you plan to attend and I may be able to join you. I hear the NJMP tracks aren't all that great but that, of the two, Thunderbolt is reasonable. That was from someone in the Philly area who found it worthwhile to drive down to Summit Point to run with the Audi club.

I also hear the Porsche Club events are good but sometimes hard to get into.

Awesome, thanks for the links. The ultimate goal is to fit a social event when flying up too like Kid's day, or river run as well. But I've heard thunderbolt is OK. Grew up only 1 hour away from that track and only been there once. Will need to check it out someday though. I'll keep this updated so maybe we can get some more people going. I know last year at VIR dinners we had a group of people that were interested in meeting up for future track days, we exchanged business cards and such but you know how that typically goes... Maybe those members can chime in since they were pretty much all from the North East area.

I'm thinking about hitting up trackdaze at VIR on the 12th and 13th, then if kids day is then as well drive up to Watkins Glen for that afterwards. I think that's the best sequence of events I can do with the little vacation time I can take off from work... Then take some time off for expo track event.

thats good maybe my wheels will come in by then!! fingers crossed. you going to be there jwmelvin?

Since I will be there June 28, that is going to be tough for me. Plus my wife is on call that weekend, which she would have to switch. But I will consider trying to make it happen.

Last edited:
Kids day is July 23 and 24 and there is a large contingent of NSXs always in attendance. Sduff, weren't you there last year? Didn't I give you a ride in my 996 Turbo on the track? Go to the Trackmasters web site and sign up. Schattenbaum PCA does a lot of track days at NJMP, it is there home track and is very open to no PCA participants and they run an event really well. My group, Metro PCA, may start being open to NSX drivers soon. I am in discussions with them at this time. Since I instruct for PCA and am also an NSX driver I am trying to leverage the two, I'll keep you posted.

Tytus

Kids day is July 23 and 24 and there is a large contingent of NSXs always in attendance. Sduff, weren't you there last year? Didn't I give you a ride in my 996 Turbo on the track? Go to the Trackmasters web site and sign up. Schattenbaum PCA does a lot of track days at NJMP, it is there home track and is very open to no PCA participants and they run an event really well. My group, Metro PCA, may start being open to NSX drivers soon. I am in discussions with them at this time. Since I instruct for PCA and am also an NSX driver I am trying to leverage the two, I'll keep you posted.

Tytus

Hey man. Yes you did! You and docjohn got me hooked. Unfortunately on the thetrack masters calender I think it's intermediate students only. I wouldn't qualify due to my lack of experience on track, and also never running an event at watkins glen. If there was a beginners session then that would be great. But let me know either way.

so on kids day i would not be able to drive on the track since i have no experience?

86]Kids day is July 23 and 24 and there is a large contingent of NSXs always in attendance. Sduff, weren't you there last year? Didn't I give you a ride in my 996 Turbo on the track? Go to the Trackmasters web site and sign up. Schattenbaum PCA does a lot of track days at NJMP, it is there home track and is very open to no PCA participants and they run an event really well. My group, Metro PCA, may start being open to NSX drivers soon. I am in discussions with them at this time. Since I instruct for PCA and am also an NSX driver I am trying to leverage the two, I'll keep you posted.

Tytus[/QUOTE]

so on kids day i would not be able to drive on the track since i have no experience?

86]Kids day is July 23 and 24 and there is a large contingent of NSXs always in attendance. Sduff, weren't you there last year? Didn't I give you a ride in my 996 Turbo on the track? Go to the Trackmasters web site and sign up. Schattenbaum PCA does a lot of track days at NJMP, it is there home track and is very open to no PCA participants and they run an event really well. My group, Metro PCA, may start being open to NSX drivers soon. I am in discussions with them at this time. Since I instruct for PCA and am also an NSX driver I am trying to leverage the two, I'll keep you posted.

Tytus
[/QUOTE]

Kid's day is an event that is organized by Camp Good Days up in NY and it's an event held for kids that are extremely ill. I forget but it's basically a two day event where the Nsx club is invited to a lunch gathering at the Camp, and then the next day is the track event. The track is closed for everyone but NSXCA and trackmasters on those days. We're the only group that is allowed to attend other than trackmasters which holds the event at Watkins Glen.

Trackmasters holds the event. During the break between sessions we're aloud to give the kid's a lap in our cars "parade lap" at controlled speeds. It's not a track event per say and there's no training, it's more for the experience of the child you meet.

Some nsx members are instructors and members at trackmasters. The Watkins Glen event is a two day track event and kids day is held on the first day.

Other members that know more about it can chime in if any of this is incorrect and I believe Kid's day is not confirmed yet either but looking at trackmasters calender it's on the week Tytus posted.

Track Event At NJMP Lightning & Thunderbolt

Don and I will be attending an event at NJMP on June 19/20 Thursday and Friday with Schattenbaum PCA. The event is open to all drivers both instructed and non-instructed and they also have a special Intro to the Track event for those that have never been at a track before. You do NOT need to be a PCA member to attend, but if you have a Porsche and want to become a member then your track events are 50.00 less (and surprisingly the membership fee is 50.00 as well). One day attendance is allowed as well. Hope some folks can join us down there.

In July we are considering a BMW event at Watkins Glen (early bird non instructed registration is 375.00) that is the Wednesday and Thursday prior to the Buffalo Stampede. We have not signed up for that event yet, but would love to see some NSX's there. Feel free to PM me if you are considering going to either; always nice to get together for dinner when at the track./

Well I got the all clear from the Cheif Driving instructor for PCA Metro to have NSX owners participate in their events. The dates and tracks are as follows:

Metro NY PCA Watkins Glen (May 28-29, 2014) (Driver's Ed) 05/28 - 05/29
Metro NY PCA Lime Rock Park (June 13-14, 2014) (Driver's Ed) 06/13 - 06/14
Metro NY PCA NJMP - Thunderbolt (July 2-3, 2014) (Driver's Ed) 07/02 - 07/03
Metro NY PCA Thompson Speedway (July 25-26, 2014) (Driver's Ed) 07/25 - 07/26
Metro NY PCA Watkins Glen - Advanced Day (Aug. 15, 2014) (Driver's Ed) 08/15 - 08/15
Metro NY PCA Watkins Glen (August 16-17, 2014) (Driver's Ed) 08/16 - 08/17
Metro NY PCA NJMP - Lightning (Oct 10-11, 2014) (Driver's Ed) 10/10 - 10/11
Metro NY PCA Summit Point (Nov 14-15, 2014) (Driver's Ed) 11/14 - 11/15

Go to www.clubregistration.net and register and then go to the Metro PCA list of events and read all the details. For first timers they waive the fire extinguisher rule and can loan you a helmet but you will have to contact the registrar to make sure the loaners are available. I am also making myself available for instructing NSX students if you ask. Not sure but they MAY NOT require an additional fee for not being a PCA member.

Hope to see some of you at the events, I will be missing the July events due to vacation and Kid's Day but otherwise I should be at most events. You need to register early as the events tend to fill up well before the closing date.

Tytus

I haven't had a chance to check with Gary mervis since they sustained significant flood damage this week due to a storm. These restrictions were in place last year but we were the only club permitted. When the camp gets back up and running again I will check.

Ok it's confirmed. I just signed up for Trackdaze VIR July 12th and 13th.

If anyone is going let me know and we can maybe ride together there. I know there's a few members that I spoke with at Expo this past October that wanted to maybe get a group going. The plan is to head there the night before, check in, and wake up early and get going. The last time I did this I drove through the night and only had maybe 2 hours of sleep before the first day of the event.

Back