Toyota Priapus & the NSX

eg9

Contributing Member
photo3.jpg

I just called the Toyota dealership in Fresno, CA, and they are creating a waiting list for this car. Without me saying anything, he said, "It's Toyota's answer to Honda's new NSX the HSC". I told him that there will not be an HSC or a 2005 NSX and he said it was probably because Honda heard that Toyata was putting out a supercar by 2005. He said he would be getting more info on the car in about 1-2 months. He hopes to have a demo in by March of 2005.

IS THIS TRUE

Last edited:
Interesting name they have chosen for that car. Link is not for prudish!

A German magazine called it "Priapus" but the dealership referred to it as "Toyota Volta". Here are some more highlights... What do you all think?? I looked around to see if this is some scam/hoax, or if my Toyota dealership was optimistic and BS'ing...not sure yet...

The dealership claimed the below performance:
400 HP
0-60 4.1sec
30+ MPG
McLaren F1-style 3 Seats
165MPH
He said for the production version that the body will not be Carbon Fiber but Aluminum instead (It will weigh a bit more then the Carbon Fiber "test mule" version but will still out perform MANY cars on the road)

04gms_toyotavolta_3.jpg

Any idea how much it is going to cost?

Ok, I'm going to have to chime in again. Although what your dealer told you is pretty much true, dealers are usually the last people to talk to regarding upcoming cars....try talking to someone INSIDE Toyota.

Toyota R&D or even Calty Design (American design center for Toyota). I'll try and find out from my friends (Theyre all car designers, but not for Toyota, although one of our instructors works at Calty)

Hard part was that the Volta wasn't even designed by Toyota. It was done in Italy by Giugaro.

jlindy said:
Any idea how much it is going to cost?

Articles mentioned $72K, but I bet it will cost closer to $90...I mean, if the NSX costs so damn much as is, this thing should cost alot more! Especially hybrids to begin with are expensive....

i dont know , autoweek said they will de discontinuing the mr2 and celica so it could be 72k$ .. Anyways this wouldnt matter to toyoa because this car would just be used to pull in more customers to see it and maybe buy something else.

if this car is actually going to be i build i am 100% sure honda will build a sucessor to the NSX (that will be worthy). HONDA will not let its arch enemy build an supercar and do nothing about it. This car could make HONDA build an NSX the world would never have thought of.

ADNOH said:
i dont know , autoweek said they will de discontinuing the mr2 and celica so it could be 72k$ .. Anyways this wouldnt matter to toyoa because this car would just be used to pull in more customers to see it and maybe buy something else.

if this car is actually going to be i build i am 100% sure honda will build a sucessor to the NSX (that will be worthy). HONDA will not let its arch enemy build an supercar and do nothing about it. This car could make HONDA build an NSX the world would never have thought of.

I agree...I guess $72K is possible but at a major lost for Toyota. I guess it works just like all the other cars (NSX, Viper, Z8), that its used more as a marketing campaign..basically, people will see how cool it is, therefore their other lineups (camry, tercel etc.) will be cooler by association. Basically the cars I just mentioned are sold as a loss...no profit gained from them. But they work as advertising for the company.

Aiken Drum said:
It's really a shame this car is fugly from most angles other than the front.

I thought the same thing about the HSC until I saw it at the auto show. I used to hate the look of the Enzo until I sat in one and it grew on me, now I think the Enzo is one of my favorite designs. I really like the look of this Volta. I'm sure it will look amazing up close.

PicFetch

PicFetch

v2.jpg

v9.jpg

How wide are those rear tyres! Looks like its been tubbed!

The rear lower bumper looks like a copy of an old australian fibremotive bodykit from oz! Oz one is marginally better done.

wNDk5MTIxNnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

The front looks best

Originally posted by Aiken Drum
It's really a shame this car is fugly from most angles other than the front.

the volta is gorgeous, but only in the front, the rest of the car looks like FAT sh!t especially the area in the rear and the rear quater panel. I mean just how fat and bulky can the rear quarterpanel area be. And whats up with the upsidedown carerra GT tail lights, the GT tail lights were ugly to start with.

I would consider buying this car (only after buying an NSX/HSC)only if Toyota could fix, no wait blow up the whole car (except the front) and put in something that will be on par with the front. also three passenger seating who needs that in a sports car, just have two seats that will comfortably hold two instead of uncomfortably hold three.

White94 said:
Interesting name they have chosen for that car. Link is not for prudish!

Now that is bizzare?? Looks like he is a well-endowed tri-sexual...:eek: Not exactly who I would want to name a car after.

NetViper said:
That girl looks really happy to be standing next to the car!:D
She had just realized that the red coveralls are not going to help her aspirations of getting on the cover of the SI swim suit issue. :D

That car is growing on me. Will be interesting to see in person. Too many badges on it though! A slight re-work of the rear might also be nice.

NetViper said:
That girl looks really happy to be standing next to the car!:D

Hahaha... good catch... She looks like shes thinking "why am I stuck posing with a damn Toyota!"

Not that theres anything wrong with a Toyota, but for a car model chick, half naked on a Ferrari is prob the top of the career ladder... In a jumpsuit next to a Toyota... not so much! :D

spookyp said:
Hahaha... good catch... She looks like shes thinking "why am I stuck posing with a damn Toyota!"

Not that theres anything wrong with a Toyota, but for a car model chick, half naked on a Ferrari is prob the top of the career ladder... In a jumpsuit next to a Toyota... not so much! :D

well look at her, she belongs next to a bus not a sports car.

KulSecHskY said:
well look at her, she belongs next to a bus not a sports car.

It's a marketing sceme... they put her next to the car so that the car looks better :)

p_003.jpg

It's a marketing sceme... they put her next to the car so that the car looks better

Good idea, but isn't working! The car still looks like a lamprey from the BEST angle.

lamprey.jpg

icon7xx.gif
I can't imagine chosing this over an Elise, even at the SAME price.

Back