Tools for the garage

I wanted to get everyone's input on some tools, as I will be adding to my current collection.

Torque Wrenches
I think this is the one set of tools I would rather spend a bit more on, vs. go cheap.

Would a 3/8" drive (15-75 lb-ft) and 1/2" drive (30-150 lb-ft) be a good starting point? Not sure if I need a 1/4" drive TW.

Also, what are your thoughts/experiences with brands? I normally like to try buy Snap-On tools on eBay.

Oil Pan
This sounds kind of random, but I'm pretty sure that for those of you that change your own oil, you have probably done some research on oil collection pans that do a nice job and are easy to take to the local recycling center.

Thanks.

Can't go wrong with SnapOn torque wrenches. You'd be surprised at how many relatively new ones are on CraigsList but using CL comes with it's own issues. IIRC, there was a torque wrench manufacturer on Prime that had a group buy on their wrenches. Seemed like a legit unit and at a reasonable cost.

I like Bavauto's 16 qt. oil container. It's enough to hold all of my diesel's oil and robust enough that i don't worry about leakage. Has two screw holes and that provides enough venting.

I always check local pawn shops. I usually find craftsman at 20c on the dollar. They occasionally do have snap on but damn are they expensive.
One thing you might do is check with local mechanics or garages if anyone is selling (or needs $$$$) CL is good but meet in a public place.

Can u wait until Thanksgiving. I usually have a list of tools I want but don't absolutely need in my head. I go to Sears Friday after Thanksgiving and buy everything I need at 1/2 price or else I do it online. I do the same for oil from Advance Autoparts or Pepboys. I am usually good for a year!

Thanks for the tips - the BAVauto oil pan looks pretty cool.

I'm trying to stay away from Craftsman and leaning towards Snap-On these days.

Yes, the Snap-On is more expensive, but I try to buy it off eBay or Craigslist, and I am committed to one of the last companies that manufacturers in the US and makes a product that is worth a lick. (I am not a fan of the new CEO's recent moves to license their name to these 3rd-rate flashlights and multi-function tools that are the equivalent of Harbor Freight Made-in-China crap). 80% of the stuff Sears sells now is 100% junk.

Get a large air compressor - its the best $300 you can ever spend. I have a Craftsman 33 Gallon in the corner. It's now 5 years old and still runs as new as day 1.

SCC2070-L.jpg

Get a large air compressor - its the best $300 you can ever spend. I have a Craftsman 33 Gallon in the corner. It's now 5 years old and still runs as new as day 1.

SCC2070-L.jpg

:what:

Nice setup! I have the same air compressor. :cool:

-Low profile jack w/stands
-Wheel-friendly impact socket set
-wratcheting wrenches are nice

Last edited:
How much was your floor and do you think it was worth it?

Yes. Although, I would recommend laying down some type of mat underneath the floor between the tiles and cement, its a bit loud to walk on.

My next garage, I think I'm going to go with a polished natural cement and earth tone painted walls with recessed lighting.

I started with a basic Craftsman socket and wrench set. Got a 44" rolling tool box, upgraded to Craftsman Professional and SnapOn ratchets, ratcheting wrenches, etc. got all the high priced items used off of garage journal.com. They usually have pretty good deals on used torque wrenches, ratchets, etc.

I have a Craftsman 5-80ft-lbs torque wrench and am looking for a used SnapOn or Mac 50ish-200ft-lb for the bigger things and wheels.

One tool I have in my garage that few people talk about but everyone loves are the RACE RAMPS. They are great for working under the car without the safety issues of jacks/stands. As long as you are not doing suspension work they really are amazing.

They won SEMA's best product award two years running :)

For oil changes, I just have a cheap oil pan, and then I empty the pan back into the empty oil jug that I just put in the car to take to the recycle center.

IMO ratcheting wrenches are great, but not a primary tool. I'd get a nice set of standard wrenches and a nice set of ratchets/sockets before I invested in ratcheting wrenches.

As far as brands go, SNAP-ON is always a nice choice, but might be a little over-kill for a casual mechanic. However, if you are the type of person who has to have the best then go for it.

How do you like the ratcheting wrenches over the standard open/closed wrench combo?

Do you suggest the ones that are offset, or 0 (flat)?

Honestly, I don't do alot of wrenching, but they've made oil changes easier for me :biggrin:

Offset would be nice for that, but again if that's all you use it for, the 17mm is probably all you need. I invested in a set and prefer to use them when I can, it makes redundant movements (on the bolt, turn, off the bolt, repeat, on the bolt....) a little less annoying....

Just so you guys know, CDI Torque is owned by Snapon, and they manufacture Snapon's torque wrenches. They're the same thing, just cheaper in price.

I personally have a CDI torque wrench and it's fantastic. I highly recommend it.

Here are the sizes and torque specs you were looking at getting:
http://www.toolsource.com/1002mfrmh...e-wrench-ratchet-head-10100-ftlb-p-91817.html

http://www.toolsource.com/torque-wrench-microadj-metal-handle-20150-ftlbs-plain-head-p-95221.html

Good Info!! Thx!

110, standard outlet.

Also, about that. It may need its own dedicated circuit due to the large draw of the compressor....i couldn't even get mine to start running without tripping a breaker so I gave it it's own outlet but your garage might be wired to handle it....hth

Also, about that. It may need its own dedicated circuit due to the large draw of the compressor....i couldn't even get mine to start running without tripping a breaker so I gave it it's own outlet but your garage might be wired to handle it....hth

Interesting. I have my compressor connecting to a power strip on the wall that has a few other things connected to it. Although, the compressor doesn't run all the time, I've never had an issue.

One tool I have in my garage that few people talk about but everyone loves are the RACE RAMPS. They are great for working under the car without the safety issues of jacks/stands. As long as you are not doing suspension work they really are amazing.

They won SEMA's best product award two years running :)

I have looked at these for years but was turned off by the $300 price tag. Which ones do you have as they offer a few different lengths? I always go the jack and jack-stand route but that is annoying and time consuming.

Back