Took the car out for a little rip!

In between hosting our Easter guests I got a chance to watch Malaysia F1 qualifying and then did a little backroad blast to clear my mind and the cylinders.Best easter wishes! To you other guys happy belated Purim:wink:

Last edited:
In between hosting our Easter guests I got a chance to watch Malaysia F1 qualifying and then did a little backroad blast to clear my mind and the cylinders.Best easter wishes! To you other guys happy belated Porim:wink:
The same to you, I also took the car out for a little "rip" today, on the calendar spring is here, maybe the weather will catch up soon!!!! Happy Purim to you too Doc!!!:wink:

Well I am getting closer to being able to take my little toy on the road again. Joe is working to get the 3M installed and then it heads up to Larry B for a new clutch and prep for the new track season. But I did manage to get my new Toyo R compounds mounted on my new Prodrives so I could get in the mood.

I have not pulled my car out yet , but soon.

However , I spotted a Kaiser silver at route 84-exit 11 / rt 34 Newtown , CT at exactly 1 pm today.

Foxy-Abby was that you driving around my area today ? ( I don't know of any other Kaisers around here...)

I have been daily driving my NSX almost everyday (except for when it rains)!! So much fun! :biggrin:

I had the fiat out yesterday and my wifes dad came and took his GTO from the my garage this morning so spring is close. :biggrin:

Took mine out on Sunday too. Pretty good for balmy Syracuse. Congrats on your new wheels Bob. See you on May 2 at the glen, I presume.

Dude I am right down the road from you. Lets catch up. I am in Syracuse, liverpool, baldwinsville a few times a month and on the 1st, 3rd, and 5th collecting rents. What year color is your car.

Congrats on your new wheels Bob. See you on May 2 at the glen, I presume.

Now I need to learn how to drive on the R compounds. I will try them out for the first time unless bad weather is predicted. I will be driving up on Friday and will be at the track Saturday and Sunday.

I took mine out on Saturday and drove up along the coast of NH. Went about 150 miles in all. It was GREAT!!
Come on SPRING!!

Now I need to learn how to drive on the R compounds. I will try them out for the first time unless bad weather is predicted. I will be driving up on Friday and will be at the track Saturday and Sunday.

Just be careful - when they're new they are a little gooey - like the filling in Hamantashen - best to drive them on the street a bit until you wear through the first millimeter of tread - people actually buy them and shave them right away to avoid the jelly feeling - not as grippy as you'd like.

Just be careful - when they're new they are a little gooey - like the filling in Hamantashen - best to drive them on the street a bit until you wear through the first millimeter of tread - people actually buy them and shave them right away to avoid the jelly feeling - not as grippy as you'd like.

Thanks. I didn't shave them since I have no ability to transport them to the track and will have to drive 250+ miles on them up to the Glen. I am hoping that will break them in before actually going on the track. Unfortunately, I will only be able to use them if the weather forecast is dry for the three days there since I don't want to see what happens if I try to drive that distance home in the rain on the highways.

Thanks. I didn't shave them since I have no ability to transport them to the track and will have to drive 250+ miles on them up to the Glen. I am hoping that will break them in before actually going on the track. Unfortunately, I will only be able to use them if the weather forecast is dry for the three days there since I don't want to see what happens if I try to drive that distance home in the rain on the highways.

Talk to Dave (BioBanker) he runs RA1s all the time on his car - I don't think they suck in the rain if they're not smooth (ie some tread) I know on my Porsche I use them at full tread (less a little) as rain tires on the track.

I believe DocJohn also keeps them on to and from the track and he makes the trip from Pennsylvania. Since this is my first time using them I will have a learning curve to determine their lifespan including street driving. Each trip to the Glen will involve close to 600 miles on the highway and 350 miles on the track and I am curious as to whether I can get three such trips safely on on set of tires and at what point I will notice that I am beginning to lose some of their grip advantage over the OEMs.

Steveny, Mine is black. Give me a call in a few weeksGoing on vacation till April 12. My number is 315-3919200. What are you driving? Gary

Bright pink TATA.:biggrin:

I am jonesing to see a NSX again. I just got back from the Cuse a few minutes ago. I can't believe it's snowing here again. :mad:

I believe DocJohn also keeps them on to and from the track and he makes the trip from Pennsylvania. Since this is my first time using them I will have a learning curve to determine their lifespan including street driving. Each trip to the Glen will involve close to 600 miles on the highway and 350 miles on the track and I am curious as to whether I can get three such trips safely on on set of tires and at what point I will notice that I am beginning to lose some of their grip advantage over the OEMs.

Bob I would treat them like street tires until they loose 75% or so tread depth.Even worn I could still go 60 mph in the rain ,gets squirly after that.New R's esp if not shaven are "loose" the first few sessions.It may even take your first wkend to break them in to the point where you can really trust them at the limit.

Bob I would treat them like street tires until they loose 75% or so tread depth.Even worn I could still go 60 mph in the rain ,gets squirly after that.New R's esp if not shaven are "loose" the first few sessions.It may even take your first wkend to break them in to the point where you can really trust them at the limit.

Thanks. Would 350-400 street/highway miles be enough to break them in before taking them out for the first track session?

Bob the drive up won't hurt:wink: First time on track forget you have them on drive like you normaly would on your oem tires.You'll decide from there how much diference you feel and if you go any faster.I would like to read your first impressions after day 1:smile:

Back