Took my S600 out to the dragstrip

A buddy of mine knew someone who rented out a local dragstrip (Milan) and I was invited to go so I took my S600 out to see what it would do.

I am not an avid drag racer and don't go through the effort of changing my tire pressure or taking out the spare, etc.. to try and get better times.

I made four runs and all of the times were between 12.3 and 12.5 at 116 to 117.5mph. I was pretty happy with the times, I was also able to get 1.9 sec. 60 foot times. I am pretty sure I could get into the high 11's with street tires by changing a few things, but it wasn't worth the effort to me. In fact I had bags in the back and I didn't turn off the air conditioning on any of the runs. I also didn't do any burn outs or anthing else very spectacular.

On my four runs I raced a C5 vette, a supercharged Mustang, some full out drag car that ran an 8 sec. quarter and a Jeep. I only lost one race and had a bunch of people come up to me afterwards wanting more info on my car. It seems none of them have ever seen a four door, mostly stock car run in the low 12's.

The only modification to the car is I had the computer reprogrammed by Renntech, another car with the same mods and race slicks in running 11.6's.

If a four door saloon can run the 1/4 mile in approximately 12.5s, then how would supercar like the Enzo justify their slow quarter mile of 11.1s ? just makes you wonder.

Carguy! said:
A buddy of mine knew someone who rented out a local dragstrip (Milan) and I was invited to go so I took my S600 out to see what it would do.

Sorry that I'm outing myself as a moron, but the only Honda I know that calls itself 600 is this one.

As this thing seems to be not really capable of running your times and speeds could you tell an European of which car you are writing? Mercedes S 600? :confused:

I assumed he was talking about Mercedes S600. That's what it's called here in the states anyway. It's the top of the line sedan(saloon) made by mercedes. What is it called in Europe?

I also took my 95 S600 to the strips, made 2 runs. the best was 14.9 sec. no bad considering the traction control can not be turned off. it will not allow wheel spins off the line. No into dragstrips myself, I just want to see what it will do. the roll-on at highway speed is incredible. The new S600 are awsome! Great times!

Carguy! said:
The only modification to the car is I had the computer reprogrammed by Renntech, another car with the same mods and race slicks in running 11.6's.

Is the primary result of the Renntech ecu to allow the turbos to run a higher boost level?

NSX-Racer said:
It's called the same here but I thought he meant an american car that we don't know here because I just couldn't imagine that someone may drag race a Mercedes S-class. :eek:

Since Mercedes has gone with huge hp in their top of the line cars, many people have taken them to the drag strip. It's strangly satisfying to watch a 5000pd car destroy everything from Vettes to Vipers. Since all these cars use FI it is very easy to increase hp.

sabashioyaki said:
Since Mercedes has gone with huge hp in their top of the line cars, many people have taken them to the drag strip. It's strangly satisfying to watch a 5000pd car destroy everything from Vettes to Vipers. Since all these cars use FI it is very easy to increase hp.

...and all the while having their a$$ massaged and air-conditioned by thirty five hundred dollar leather seats. :D :D :D

NSX-Racer said:
It's called the same here but I thought he meant an american car that we don't know here because I just couldn't imagine that someone may drag race a Mercedes S-class. :eek:

I don't understand the guys who buy a car like this and don't take it out to the dragstrip at least once, but that is just me!

EIFFEL said:
I also took my 95 S600 to the strips, made 2 runs. the best was 14.9 sec. no bad considering the traction control can not be turned off. it will not allow wheel spins off the line. No into dragstrips myself, I just want to see what it will do. the roll-on at highway speed is incredible. The new S600 are awsome! Great times!

The new ones let you turn off traction control, but only to a certain level. The traction control still kicks in if you get too much wheel spin. I didn't see a big difference in my car between turning the traction control on or off, the new system does a real good job of keeping as much power as it can.

Sig said:
Is the primary result of the Renntech ecu to allow the turbos to run a higher boost level?

Yes, it increases the boost about from 14.7 to 18 psi and also reprograms the transmission to allow quicker shifts under hard acceleration.

Brian2by2 said:
Hey CarGuy, I don't know what track you ran at but down here they are A-V-I-D about not running with your A/C on because you'll drop condensation the whole way down the track and make it slippery. its a liability. You might want to think of that next time :)

Where does he say, I had my A/C going?

NSX-Racer said:
I just couldn't imagine that someone may drag race a Mercedes S-class. :eek:

why not ? if it's because it's a MB, so what ? on this side of the pond we race everything that has at least 2 wheels and a steering wheel :D

len3.8 said:
Where does he say, I had my A/C going?

Carguy clearly stated that "...I didn't turn off the air conditioning on any of the runs."

I would presume that he had his A/C on.

DocL said:
Carguy clearly stated that "...I didn't turn off the air conditioning on any of the runs."

I would presume that he had his A/C on.

Sure does, I need to look closer. I guess it was not clear to me.
Thanks Doc.

You're welcome. Us old guys need to look out for each other as our eyesight goes down the drain. :D

Brian2by2 said:
Hey CarGuy, I don't know what track you ran at but down here they are A-V-I-D about not running with your A/C on because you'll drop condensation the whole way down the track and make it slippery. its a liability. You might want to think of that next time :)

I have never heard of this before, it seems like the amount of water that would come from the car would not be significant. I would think that any water that was dropped would evaporate before anyone else drove on the track.

When they went over the rules it wasn't mentioned, I have also driven on several road coarses and I have never heard this on those either. I imagine that if it really is a problem it would be worse on a road coarse.

Awsome car, I want a ride one of these day's. :)
I think it may make a small puddle when your sitting at the line waiting for the light's to change.

Carguy! said:
I imagine that if it really is a problem it would be worse on a road coarse.

It's the opposite. They don't race when a dragstrip is wet but of course they do on roadcourses (except NASCAR). We're also talking about different HP levels and handling capabilities between the two types.

Anywho, you could always ask the track officials their opinion on the matter the next time you're there.

prova4re said:
Awsome car, I want a ride one of these day's. :)
I think it may make a small puddle when your sitting at the line waiting for the light's to change.

Let me know the next time your over, we can go get lunch or something and you can take it for a drive.

Back