Took a little trip to get high in the NSX

Yesterday I took out the NSX for a little drive. Wound up on the highest paved road in the US. It used to be the highest in the world, but I would bet the Chinese have likely paved some higher ones in Tibet by now.

I have had four goals for the NSX: Drive it to the Atlantic Ocean. Drive it to the Pacific Ocean. Drive it to the highest point in the US. Drive it to the lowest point in the US. I've made numbers 1 and 3. Late next winter or early next spring I'm going to pick up my brother in Reno, drive across Death Valley; and then do the Pacific Coast Highway.

I firmly believe these cars are meant to be driven!
Top of the World.JPG High NSX.JPG NSX and MtGoat.JPG Bench Mark.JPGSign.JPG

That might be good too, but this was a little less illegal -- although some of the speeds weren't!

There is a ballot issue in November to 'decriminalize' small amounts [< 1oz] of pot all across Colorado. That amount is already 'legal' in Denver, but if the state or the feds catch you, Denver's law will do you no good -- no good at all!

Yesterday I took out the NSX for a little drive. Wound up on the highest paved road in the US. It used to be the highest in the world, but I would bet the Chinese have likely paved some higher ones in Tibet by now.

I have had four goals for the NSX: Drive it to the Atlantic Ocean. Drive it to the Pacific Ocean. Drive it to the highest point in the US. Drive it to the lowest point in the US. I've made numbers 1 and 3. Late next winter or early next spring I'm going to pick up my brother in Reno, drive across Death Valley; and then do the Pacific Coast Highway.

I firmly believe these cars are meant to be driven!
View attachment 28780 View attachment 28778 View attachment 28779 View attachment 28781View attachment 28782

Where is the highest paved road in the U.S.?

Looks like Mount Evans...been there before. Very nice drive.:smile:

Looks like Mount Evans...been there before. Very nice drive.:smile:

It is indeed Mt Evans in the Front Range of the Rocky Mountains. It is about 20 miles away from Denver, and you can plainly see the Mountain from downtown. It is a blast and a half to get to the "bottom" of the road at about 10,000 feet. The next run to about 13,000' is a normal road, but the last run up to 14,500' (which closed for the year today) is narrow and rough.

Indeed the NSX runs like a well tuned VW at those altitudes -- it likely has about 200 hp. What is interesting is the exhaust resonances that you can normally hear only in 4th gear at about 140 mph -- a very prominant hammering -- is present in second gear. That makes sense, since it takes time for the resonances to establish themselves, and at lower altitudes you shift to the next gear before they can occur. (I did my masters thesis in 1966 on unstable, compressible flow in an exhaust system.)

If you are ever in Denver, look me up and we can do it again.

Mark

Pike's peak highway up to the top of pike's peak right?

I lived under that mountain's shadow minutes away for a few years. Never once did I even go up that place. Too expensive!

If you are ever in Denver, look me up and we can do it again.

Mark

That would be a blast. I was there last year when I purchased my NSX. The previous owner lived in Golden.

Vance right?? He has a F355 now!!:eek: You gotta make a trip back so I've an excuse to drive up to mt Evans!!:biggrin:

Thats interesting, the guy I bought it from was named Scott, but he did go and buy an F355...Hmmmmm

Back