to sell and buy an nsx or not?

i have a situation...
i have always wanted to buy a nsx but initially i had planned on waiting several more years until i could settle down on a company to raise funds and to get a 97 and up nsx (mainly cause of the 3.2 and 6speed)...but just recently i was given the fortuate opportunity to get a little more personal with a friend's nsx (which btw was a 92). after taking a closer look at the car inside and out it felt like i fell in love with the car all over again even tho it wasn't a 97+ nsx. and ever since then i keep finding myself looking for 91-93 nsx's.

but the situtation is: i am scared of selling my current car (01 prelude) and purchasing a used nsx which is over a decade old; what i mean is that i am not sure if it would be a WISE choice to sell the prelude now, then buy a 91 nsx and then several years down the road purchase a newer model nsx or should i just keep my prelude for several more years and then get a newer model nsx...
i guess my main concerns are the reliablity of a new prelude with less than 20000miles compared to that of a used nsx that is a decade old with 50000-70000miles esp. with me paying a good amount more, and also the resale value of the cars in the future seeing as how i still do plan on getting a newer model nsx in the future despite which route i decide to take... what are your opinions on these matter??

and also i just want to know all of you guys' (esp. those who have purchased used 91-93 nsx's) opinions on what you think about your purchase on the nsx is...i mean like have you had any problems or even concerns/regrets about the car after the purchase, anything to beware of, etc...

thanx

Last edited:
I dont have any answers for you...However I have a '97 prelude currently, and am going to be looking into a '91 nsx in ~1 a year or so. Ive never even ridden in an nsx, but Im curious if you have how you think it compares to the prelude. Now, it obviously blows it away in everything, but Im just womdering by how much exactly?

I have 90,000 miles on my car now, and 0 problems so far, so I dont think it would be a problem driving it another 90k if need be.

Good luck!

this can be a hard decision. which do you like best? the lude or the x? if you like both, keep both and be happy. use your x for the weekend or an event here and there. i've a 93 was flawless in the reliability dept. however, i only use it on the weekend and special events. there are many x here that are being driven everyday....i've seen 165K+miles that hadn't any problem other than replacing the tires, routine maintenance and gas. if the x can open up your heart artery a little wider as it did to mine, by all mean.......go for it. hope what i said there helped.

All I can say to both of you is to test drive both a 91-96 NSX and a 97+ NSX. Then decide if it is worth it. For me, I too wanted nothing but a 97+ for the 3.2 and 6-Speed, however, I ended up buying a 92. My car does have the NSX-R gears though. Anyway, power is easy to make up so that extra 20 HP from the 3.2 is no longer an issue with me. The NSX-R gears is definately great, although I still yearn for the 6-Speed sometimes since I came from a 6-Speed Acura Legend Coupe. Don't get me wrong, as it is now I don't believe I will be trading in my NSX for a 97+ anytime soon and maybe never. I may just do a 6-Speed conversion even though it is not cost wise to do so since it is expensive. My reason is I really like the Coupe and don't need the T since I probably would only take it off aside for picture taking. Maybe if I find one of those rare 6-Speed Coupes in the future I will buy it.

Anyway, I have only two minor problems since I bought my 92. I had to have the top widshield modling replaced since it was shrinking at a cost of about $120 at the dealer. Also, I had my plastic OEM coolant tank replaced since it was leaking. In this case I went with an aluminum one from Science of Speed and should never have to worry about that plastic tank leaking again which it will eventually do so if I went with another OEM tank. My car already had upgraded window regulators installed by the previous owner as well as the timing belt and water pummp done. My car was also in snap ring rage which did snap, but the previous owner had it goodwilled by Acura and that is when the NSX-R gears went in. If you find a good example NSX, you should have few major replairs IMHO.

Bottom line is, I too was die hard set on a 97+, but I am very happy with my 92. You need to test drive the NSX for yourself and see if it is worth it to you. I do believe that it is much better than the 01 Prelude though and I think both of you will agree once you get a good test drive under your belt.

I guess that prelude has already depreciated to half the price of new, then in few years time it is going to be so much cheaper you would need more cash towards buying the nsx. Meanwhile I dont think the nsx would depreciate as much.

Although nsx is supposed to be reliable (and i dont dought that cos its a honda), i think it should be used as a second car, simply cos the maintenace is not super cheap enough for a commuting car.

I dont think you need to worry about the reliability issue though, even my 1990 CRX (45k miles) has never let me down, so I wouldnt expect my nsx (53k miles) to either. 92/97 its not under warranty anyway right? I am not a believer in warranties anyway, I had a german mid engined car before the nsx still under warranty, but these warranties tend not to cover the one thing that goes wrong in your car...

I think the nsx will be no comparison to the prelude, my crx has more bhp/ton than my nsx, not sure it will be like head to head on the strip, but I must say 3.0 vtec and mid engine rear drive traction power delivery beats the crx anyday. (2.2 prelude do have good torque too, I have driven the JDM type S version which was great)

I did want a 6 sp box and 3.2 engine too, but there are some benefits in the uk for having 92 or older car. I wanted to remove the CAT when I fit an ex system in the nsx, and 92 or older car can be removed cos it is not required to have one (only cars newer than 92 need it). If I want a newer NSX its going to be an import NSX-R.

I would take a used NSX over a brand new Prelude anyday.

The Prelude of course, being newer, is the logical choice. You get the warranty and knowing that the maintenance was kept up by you and only you.

Choosing an NSX is somewhat of an emotional choice. You yearn to have the NSX because of what it offers: an exhilirating driving experience. That's what it basically boils down to. At least for me.

40k miles, 50k miles, 90k miles. Doesn't make a difference. An NSX is an NSX. A Prelude is a prelude. However, a Prelude will never be an NSX.

Having driven both cars there is absolutely no comparison at all.

I can understand your issues though. Most NSX's are pretty trouble free. My mom always gave me crap about why I would buy a car that is 10 years old vs a new one. Well, the simple reason is because it is an NSX!

I would find out as much as you can about the 92's history. If it sounds like a clean car, you probably should not have a lot of issues.

I still dream of buying a 97 though. Someday! I don't have the NSX-R gears, but after doing a lot of reading etc, they seem like a waste of money. Yes they make you feel like you are going faster, but is $2000 worth such a slight improvement. I don't think it is.

WoW thanx for all those great replies!

ItsBettrThatWay: srry, but i haven't even had the chance to drive the nsx let alone ride in one, so im going merely on what i saw and might i add i loved!!

yellowpad: i like the lude and the nsx both, but i believe i love the nsx some what more! and although i would LOVE to keep both cars i won't be able to afford them both...if i get the nsx i will have to pay a decent amount more on top of the prelude, thats another reason that makes this decision sooo hard is that will the nsx being so much older than the lude be worth the extra thousands?? but than again i guess you guys have put in your input that the bottom line is that reliablity is going to be about the same desite the age, but that a nsx is a nsx.

btw...if i get the nsx it will be a daily driven car, well semi-daily driven, cause i really won't need a car too often in the new city that i will be moving to in a few weeks for college.

but something that just about nobody touch upon except CRX B16B VTEC is the matter on the value of the cars...i see that the nsx has held its value very well over 10+ years esp. compared to the prelude, but what will it be like in the future say 5 years from now?? taking into acount what kind of affect the new redesigned nsx in 05 (supposing that there is going to be one) will have on the value of older nsx's, and also the extra costs i will have to pay for the nsx compared to the preludes value at the same time in the future??

as of right now i am defineatly leaning a lot towards the nsx despite age and milage issues...you guys put it best an NSX is a Nsx and no other car can duplicate its greatness!

thanx

Hey koreanmafia: I have the perfect solution as I was in the same predicament! Just follow these six simple steps and all your vehicular troubles will disappear!

1. Wanted........I mean NEEDED NSX BAAAAAAAAAAAD!!!

2. Had 98 BMW 328 Convertible

3. Sold BMW

4. Bought a beautiful 1989 Accord LXI 5sp Coupe for $1200

5. Bought NSX (1 of only 6 on the whole planet!)

6. I am living happily ever after!!!

Now, just input your car names and repeat! It works everytime!

Jay
91 silver/ivory 5speed (1 of 6)
89 accord
73 roadrunner

Personally, I'd recommend against an early high-mileage NSX as a daily driver. As a toy or even an investment, absolutely, get it!
As a daily driver, research the insurance costs and maintanence history very carefully. You are young, wait until you can afford to have both an NSX and a daily driver.

jmjrdh1: lol...great plan!...i think i might be on it sometime soon (hopefully) hows your nsx, have you had any problems??

JimK: first off what would you consider a high milage nsx?? how about an nsx between 50000 to 70000miles?? and why is it that you wouldn't recommend a "high milage nsx" as a daily driver; i mean i don't see it not out performing any other hondas and acuras that are driven daily, some even beaten up and still running...why whould the nsx a NSX have more problems than these other cars (imo it should out perform)??

thanx

I second to JimK, even though I just bought the X for a month, and I had since driven it everyday.

I kept my Accord for daily driver. (even though I it had been sit in the garage for 2 weeks.. :D )

I'm not too financially wealthy like others over here, so read on:

Daily Driver... You expect to pay a lot for replacing rear tires. The Body repair bill is very expensive on NSX, (given you want have it done right.) Avoid all the door dings and Soccer Mom on daily basis is pretty nerve killing. People in SUV (at least in Seattle) tends to drive over your roof, so be careful on highway traffic too. I used to go to get grocery for friends and family in my accord, last visti on my X, I basically have to had my girl friend holding some in her lap... If you lived in the area that had snow in Winter, I don't think you can drive it on snow.

For me, the first shock about the nsx ownership is that how hard to even find a set of rims that fits and look good on NSX. You will find that most of Specails on magazines will not fit NSX, and those people will remind you, after all, you still driving an Exotic.
:D

For Reliability, if you read through the FAQ, and check here often, you maybe able to find a good one. You just need to be patient and very careful before you commit.

My last advise would be that if you want to get rid of the Lude, then you should always have at least 3-4k in your account "just for" any mishap on your used nsx. OR you just keep your lude and buy an older nsx, if in case anything happen to that, you still have a ride, and you can then save up some money to fix it.

I am sure that everyone has different needs for NSX.

However, if NSX will be the only car while you are in college, I would suggest that you stay with Prelude. I don't know whether you will be living in on- or off-campus, but NSX will draw a lot of attention. Also, it may not be as practical as your prelude in everyday college life.

Just my 2 cents.

NSXDreamer2 said:
HEY Tiger, it's not neccessary to be always a bad thing in college right?? Girls gone wild with nsx:D

Ooops.. in that case, go out and buy your NSX NOW!! :D :D

koreanmafia said:
jmjrdh1: lol...great plan!...i think i might be on it sometime soon (hopefully) hows your nsx, have you had any problems??

My 91 NSX was well cared for and up to date with the maintenance. I purchased it two months ago with 46,800k and have put 2,200 on it since then! I drive that thing every chance I get cause once winter hits here in NY, the fun is over.

I had given up and was about to buy an s2000 THE VERY DAY that I say my X for sale. I was looking for OVER A YEAR for the right one, and boy did I get lucky! I had prayed for a sebring silver coupe, and they were answered when I purchased an ultra-rare (1 of 6 on the planet!! :D) 91 silver/ivory 5 speed.

I have had two problems since purchase, the right passenger BOSE speaker amp is popping, signaling its eminent demise. I also hear a clicking sound coming from my right window, meaning that I better get a fix-it-thingy in there or fork over @$600 for a regulator! The Bose problem cost @$80 to fix at the BOSE factory, and every X owner will tell you this is a problem you cannot avoid if you stay with the factory system. These issues are irrelevant IMO relative to the cost of fixing "real" problems.

I agree with Tiger, an NSX as your only car in college may be impractical, but aside from that I would be concerned about LOTS AND LOTS of door dings, as campus parking facilities may not have areas far removed where you can park solo.

Good Luck!!!

Jay
91 silver/ivory
89 accord
73 roadrunner

UNLESS you have a safe garage at your dorm or where ever you will be staying, DON'T GET THE NSX. NOt only you get plenty of attention, it will be definite a target for egging, unauthorize joy ride, and you name it............the cutest girl would spread her leg on it and leave all kinds of marking that would require more than just a details guy to touch up....and there isn't anything you can do to her. :D

yellowpad said:
UNLESS you have a safe garage at your dorm or where ever you will be staying, DON'T GET THE NSX. NOt only you get plenty of attention, it will be definite a target for egging, unauthorize joy ride, and you name it............the cutest girl would spread her leg on it and leave all kinds of marking that would require more than just a details guy to touch up....and there isn't anything you can do to her. :D

:eek:

WOW, when i read the posts of the thread, to my amazment there were a few people that had 5th gen preludes and yearning for a nsx. I'm surprised because I TOO, am looking into a 91-94 nsx, and i currently drive a 97 lude. Altho i'm relatively young (19), a 91-92 is still attainable. My plan is to save about 5-7g's, and sell my car, and put it all into the down payment of the nsx-- this all within a tiime frame of 12months.

koreanmafia: you have a 01 prelude, If its a 5speed in really good condition. You can sell it for about 13-14g's up in nj/pa area. (even if it has 90k miles)

i would love to keep my lude as the daily, and purchase a nsx for a cruiser, but since i'm still in college, i don't think i'll have enuf to pay for both insurances. Hell, the lude insurance is killing me already. Luckily, i'm still under my parents name. If i were to go full coverage on the lude by my self, it would be 4g's a year...

now i don't feel alone...
I'm also a 5th gen prelude owner. I was eating one day and there was a sweet nsx parked outside. I was in the market for another car. I always loved the nsx but never thought I can afford one. But the prices for a older one is decent. I also would love to have a 97+ nsx. But after surfing this board for weeks now, and seeing how happy everyone is with their X. I'll happily purchase a older nsx. I just finished college, got a good paying job. Bought my prelude when I was in high school, and just finished paying it off this year. My lude has pretty low mileage for so cali standards. Not as low as some of you guys on your X's, but still good.

Anyways i found a awesome deal on a 92 nsx and i'm going to buy it in two weeks :D yea i'm scared of some things like that snap ring range thing, which i'll be sure to check for. Sadly the X will be a daily driver cause i can't afford another car just yet. But i don't think it'll be too bad, i work less then 2 miles from my home. And parking is awesome where i work. I don't see any reason why i would ever pick my prelude over the X. Yea sure its newer, but thats about it.

With the NSX, there really is no comparison. I know it gave me exactly what I wanted in a car. (I am on my second one already!)

When i was in college, I had an '85 prelude. When i graduated, it had 193,000 miles on it and i traded it in for a 95 Prelude Vtec (with leather, sub, all the goodies). I, however , always wanted the nsx. But, i put the priorities in order. I could have had the nsx two years ago but instead bought a house. In june my dream came true and I got my NSX (which by the way, I'm up to 7800 miles --its a '91). It was worth the 13 year wait and because i bought the house first, dont feel so bad about buying such a significant depreciable asset (as my financial planner called it).

Dont worry about waiting a few years, we'll still be here for you, and your NSX will be waiting for you too.

-Matt C

Back