TL or MDX?

Hi all:

I am in the mood to do away with my 2000 Suburban (which I have really loved) and get something more nimble, since my wife now has a 2003 Burb that we use to haul all our junk. I am debating between going with a sporty sedan that would be fun to drive and appropriate for client hauling, or a midsize SUV that would still give me the flexibility to cart my dog, SeaDoo, etc. on the rare occasions when I don't have the Burb.

I would like to stay with Acura, so I am considering the new TL and the MDX. The styling of the MDX seems a little bland to me, but I acknowledge the fact that it is an outstanding SUV that is universally praised by the critics. I am much more excited by the TL styling, though, especially with the 18" gunmetal wheels. I had a 2003 TL-S that I liked, but that styling was fairly blah also.

I would appreciate any comments from those of you that have made a similar decision between these two, and how you decided to go with your eventual winner. Thanks in advance.

Todd

I have a 03 MDX and it is a nice suv and it handles pretty well for its size with decent acceleration and passing power. But imo I think that the TL would be a much more enjoyable daily. I test drove both 5spd auto and 6spd TLs and I was very impressed with the new TL compared to the old TL'S and CL's (had a CL's and thought it.... well...:D )

Get the Auto TL- if you don't want to deal with the TQ steer. The MDX is great(I owned one for 2.5 years), but you don't need it(the burb will handle those duties).

besides the TL will be $8k less.

I test drove both 5spd auto and 6spd TLs and I was very impressed with the new TL compared to the old TL'S and CL's
Doesn't mean to offend you, but... HUH??!! I loved the new TL up until the moment I step the gas pedal and trying to hold the car stay in the line I'm going...

There's something with the clutch too.. no feeling at all.. Brembo doesn't stop like a Brembo... I'm much happier with the 03' TL-S my wife had, at least I can tossed the car around and it gave me a true feeling. As least it tells me it doesn't like to be pushed, he's no nsx... :)

Leftlane, As much as I loved Honda/ Acura products, all the 5 speed auto with the 6 cyclinder still had the transmission problem, Honda is recalling every single one of them putting the oil cooler in or even swaping the whole transmission... It affects all the CL/TL's, MDX, pilot, oddesey, V6 accord...etc.

I say the TL. You already have a hauler with the Burb and a nice 4 door would compliment the stable nicely.

OK - thanks for the replies. Another option, which I really am interested in, is a 2001 Audi A8L. I have a local dealer with one that has 30k miles and every conceivable option, and I can pick it up for around $35k. It's still under factory warranty (and maintenance plan, I think), and boy does it drive sweet....4.2 liter V8 with quattro, lots of power, very understated luxury, silver w/black interior......

I don't want to be bored, no matter what I drive (even the Burb provides a certain type of Napoleonic thrill), so if anyone has any comments on the TL, MDX, or now the Audi, I welcome your insights.

Thanks!

:)

The A8L is an INCREDIBLE car. I would pick it over the 740iL. But, you can get it for 5-7K less.

I almost bought a 2001 A6 2.7LTT with 39K miles for $18K 2 months ago. I passed on it due to the lack of turbo reliability. Sure was tempting though.

I would hope it is a better choice then the BMW 740 - I had a 97 740iL that was a POS, and I swore off BMW as a result. This A8L is a pretty sweet ride, and I really dig the fact that it isn't very ostentatious. Does the price seem about right? The new A8 is already out, so I don't know what that will continue to do to the pricing of older A8s......

Hi Nsxdreamer2

Well i actually meant to say the overall ride feel and quality is much better than the old type's. like the feel of the interior and everything else. of course the old type's is fun to throw around but I think that the new one might actually handle better, and you got to love the digital surround sound system. By far the best stereo (stock) system I have ever heard! (by the way i had no trouble keeping the car straight while flooring it:p ). I do agree about the clutch though...weird:confused: maybe it just needed to be broken in being a new clutch and all.

Also I believe that Honda has actually fixed their tranny issues for the 03's and up.;)

sorry for the long post guys:D

p.s

Shoot, I would buy the TL just for the digital surround sound:D

I would also vote for TL. Although I'm a little biased because I am this close to getting one.
Am going to take an extended test drive in a manual trans car to see if I like living with it or not.

Shoot, I would buy the TL just for the digital surround sound
I'm not disagreeing at all... amenties wise the TL is once again, best bang for the buck in its class.

Also I believe that Honda has actually fixed their tranny issues for the 03's and up.
That's exactly what the salesman said before my wife put her money down for hers.... You know what, the recall is out and been contacted all owners since last month. If you want more info, you may go to www.acura-tl.com , it's all over the site about the recall and tranny problem.

Leftlane, I do think the A8 is a good addition to your garage, as least it "sports" the aluminum panels and structure to match your nsx... :)

For a big sedan, and it's being quattro... I would think that's actually what you really need for clients and stuff... and it's a good winter car when you have to put the nsx in garage.

NsSeX said:
Shoot, I would buy the TL just for the digital surround sound:D [/B]

Funny you say that. The salesman said something very much like that when I was driving the car around. $30k seems like a lot for a car stereo though.:D
Either way, after he said that, he NEVER even turned the thing on for me to listen to!!

92NSX said:
Funny you say that. The salesman said something very much like that when I was driving the car around. $30k seems like a lot for a car stereo though.:D
Either way, after he said that, he NEVER even turned the thing on for me to listen to!!

:D yeah 30k is quite expensive for a stero system.

Wow i'm surprised that the sales man didn't turn it on for you. My salesman was was dying to play it for me grining like a idiot from ear to ear:D

Leftlane

I also think that the A8 would be another great choice.
somebody correct me if i'm wrong, but I heard that you shouldn't buy a used audi. I was told that audi's tend to have a lot of problems especially used ones.:confused:

Back