Tito Ortiz vs Ken Shamrock

Thanks for the wise words fellas. MT has always intrigued me... especially seeing Rich Franklins nose touching his ear!

No convenient camps around here, but I'll keep my eyes open.

And nice pickup on the Infiniti Stone, my friend had one and it was great. I wish they still made it... hate the FX!

orbusrex said:
Thanks for the wise words fellas. MT has always intrigued me... especially seeing Rich Franklins nose touching his ear!

If you like MT and want to take it seriously, you can go to Bangkok and build your shins and strikes up for really cheap. Anyone who is serious about it must go to the motherland. :) It's a great time being there, too. Just checkout the video in my sig. :)

Not to water down this thread, but I just saw Ong-Bok, that dude is bad ass. Definitely not the MT I've been learning! Some of the knees and elbows the fight choreographer comes up with are amazing, don't know how effective they would be, but his agility is simply astounding.

orbusrex said:

No convenient camps around here, but I'll keep my eyes open.

And nice pickup on the Infiniti Stone, my friend had one and it was great. I wish they still made it... hate the FX!

I would also add this... it takes a while to become a good striker. Lots of time and practice. But a year of solid work of say 3-4 times a week at a couple of hours a day of Brazilian Jiujitsu will give you some feel and a good base when you hit the ground or are in grappling range. I am not saying you will be Rickson Gracie in a year, but you will be able to defend yourself against larger highly skilled striking oponents on the ground. If a seasoned striker knows no ground fighting, you can take him out with a year of BJJ under your belt.

If you don't find good Muaythai where you are, standard Boxing can also be very good. The tactics of slippping, evading, the mechanics of punching, are very good in boxing. In some ways, better than muaythai. Defense against punches is better. The problem with boxing is how you are constantly stopped and broken up after a clinch. But you should be able to find a good boxing school around and I really do recommend that in the absence of MT.

I tend to agree with TURBO2GO on this one. If you end up on the ground with no ground experiance or skill, you are finished and at the mercy of the other guy. Not a place I would like to be. Most fights in public and especially between unskilled fighters end up on the ground. Strength alone will not save you if the other guy knows what he is doing. Once in awhile the other guy will get a lucky strike in though, so it's highly advised not to take the path of the aggressor. Stay out of your opponents strike distance if you can and use timing and deception as needed, then use what ever your best offense is. That includes takedowns, strikes or simply running. Remember that after the fight you still have to deal with the legal ramifications. If you injure someone, you will likely have some explaining to do and most likley a civil challenge. Never start a fight, always finish with the least damage required and never act out of anger. Most people I have met who have started in any form of MA have done so that they can defend themselves primarily. After time goes by the reason changes to one of "honing the skill" and later to more of a way to stay in shape and sort of path to perpetual improvement, kind of like golf. As TURBO2GO said, after a year of MMA or BJJ it is unlikely that an average street person will be able to hurt you. That is without a sucker punch or a lucky shot. Learn all you can and enjoy.

" It is not what happens to us in this life that defines us, but how we deal with it"

Bodhi I think orbusrex works for the Arizona border patrol so I don't think you have to worry about him doing something dumb. I don't think he is looking for street fighting techniques, probably wants to know what to do when in a border arrest type situation I am assuming.

Back