Tire Wear

HTN

Experienced Member
I am in the process of hunting for an NSX and just wondering when do you guys typically change out these tires. Assuming normal driving nothing too aggressive.
Thanks

Still looking for:
2002+ Red,blk interior, low miles and in great condition.

I am in the process of hunting for an NSX and just wondering when do you guys typically change out these tires. Assuming normal driving nothing too aggressive.
Thanks

Still looking for:
2002+ Red,blk interior, low miles and in great condition.

On a 2002 OEM rear tires should last between 7,500-10,000 miles and fronts about double that.

I usually change them out when the inside edge becomes bald. That can take anywhere from 3,000 to 11,000 miles. :biggrin:

We currently have an 06 Infiniti G35 w/sports suspension. The 2 front tires were worn out at 15K miles due to feathering of the inner walls. Is this what I should expect from the NSX as well?
Thanks for the input guys.

The inherently aggressive nature of the suspension on the NSX is what makes them wear fairly quickly. Early models (Pre-94) have one of the most aggresive settings (camber) that are prone to fast tire wear. One of the few compromises of the car IMO.

Jap4ER...
Is there a fix or adjustment to help increase the wear and get more life out of these tires?
Thanks

We currently have an 06 Infiniti G35 w/sports suspension. The 2 front tires were worn out at 15K miles due to feathering of the inner walls. Is this what I should expect from the NSX as well?

The G35 alignment and suspension geometry could not be less similar to the NSX.

The OEM toe setting on the NSX is aggressive on both the front and the rear, however you'll see much more even wear on the front. You will see the inside part of the rear tires wear much more quickly and while the outside might appear to have a safe tread level after 7-10K miles the inside tread level will most likely be unsafe.

Jap4RE said:
The inherently aggressive nature of the suspension on the NSX is what makes them wear fairly quickly. Early models (Pre-94) have one of the most aggresive settings (camber) that are prone to fast tire wear. One of the few compromises of the car IMO.

The OEM toe setting was altered by Acura in 1993 and made less aggressive due to complaints by customers. The OEM rear tires were lasting on average 5-7K miles before 1993.

HTN said:
Jap4ER...
Is there a fix or adjustment to help increase the wear and get more life out of these tires?

Yes--adjust the rear toe setting to a less aggresive spec. The adjustment will result in diminished rear grip at the limit which one hopefully doesn't come close to on the street. A nice compromise is to adjust the toe to the least aggressive end of the OEM range. Running a zero toe will maximize tire life but again, compromise rear grip as one approaches the limit.

My daily driver is a 06 G35C 6MT and the tire life of my G is much worse than my NSX.

Makes a whole lot of sense NSXGMS. Thanks for the detail clarification.
Also good to know that it's better than the G. This is one of the reason why we want to get rid of it.

That's extremely rapid front tire wear for an NSX with OEM alignment specs...:confused:
Alignment was only slightly off when I got my rear tires. Front tires were not bald when replaced by previous owner. I found this in the maintence record. One tire picked up a nail, and the previous owner just replaced both tires. According to the previous owner, the other front tire probably has about 25% tread life when the front tires were replaced. I replaced the rear when I noticed balding and steel belt. Funny thing is that I checked my tires the week prior to getting my rear tires and was waiting for my appointment date to have my rear tires replaced. Luckily my tire shop is less than 1 mile away.

I get 8,000 miles on a rear set of OEM Bridgestones with '93 alignment specs. The fronts are starting the 3rd set of rears, altho my alignment guy previously set the front alignment less agressive than specs. I had him set it to factory '93 settings this time.

Once we make the purchase, it will be a daily driving NSX. I guess I better save up more money for new tires every year.
Thanks guys for the helpful hints.

Once we make the purchase, it will be a daily driving NSX. I guess I better save up more money for new tires every year.
Thanks guys for the helpful hints.

Just a tip--I as well as many other NSX owners highly endorse the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 tire. Not only does it provide absolutely stellar performance virtually equal to the Michelin PS2 and the old Bridgestone S0-3 the wear rates have so far been excellent. Many GS-D3 users have made it to 15K miles on the rear tires on their NSXs and up to 30K miles on the front set.

not to venture too far off topic but has anyone had any experience with Bridgestone Potenza RE-01Rs? I have them on my current car and they have been by far the best tire i have ever driven on, I am just wondering if they are perhaps too soft and would wear too quick on the NSX.

Question:

Will taking out negative camber have a similar effect on both handling and tire life as taking out negative toe? It seems it would spread the wear out across the tire, rather than only on the inside. Again, of course, at the cost of lateral grip. I ask because, AFAIK, removing toe will also hurt strait-line traction in addition to lateral grip, but removing negative camber will more or less only affect lateral grip. Could someone elaborate? Thanks!

I'm on my first set of new tires. Had the alignment done twice. The backs have 8,000 miles and look great (even wear). The fronts have about 5,000 miles and are showing inner wear (uuggh)!

Previous owner said she usually got 6,000 miles on the rear but 15,000 on the fronts. Both sets are Yoko OEMS.

Is inner wear normal after a few thousand miles for the fronts? I'm doubtful I will get even wear on the fronts as long as proper alignment is used. (BTW - this NSX is stock)

I have a 91 automatic and the fronts lasted 28k km and the rears last 12k kilometers. The fronts still had tread on the outside but the inside was worn to the wearbars. The rears have always worn evenly. The car has stock suspension settings and OEM Yokohama tires.

I'm glad Potenza RE-01Rs were mentioned as I can't find the OEM Yokohama tires anymore.

I have a 91 automatic and the fronts lasted 28k km and the rears last 12k kilometers. The fronts still had tread on the outside but the inside was worn to the wearbars. The rears have always worn evenly. The car has stock suspension settings and OEM Yokohama tires.

I'm glad Potenza RE-01Rs were mentioned as I can't find the OEM Yokohama tires anymore.

Yeah, the 91 OEM Yokohama's were canceled. I just put a set on my NSX.

You could try and see if Tire Rack still has 3 out of 4, then call Yokohama customer service to get them to release a fourth from their special reserve. You might get lucky like I did :)

I know it's an old thead, but my question is on topic, so please forgive me :redface: :

Was the suspension geometry change in 1993 or was it simply the alignment settings? (I'm considering buying a NSX, hence my questions)

I know it's an old thead, but my question is on topic, so please forgive me :redface: :

Was the suspension geometry change in 1993 or was it simply the alignment settings? (I'm considering buying a NSX, hence my questions)

Geometry has not changed ,look in the wiki and under the old faqs you will note the changes by year.Honda has changed oem alignment specs,spring rates and shock settings and wheels tires as well as brakes.

Back