Tire Wear

Funnyboneman said:
Does anybody know how many miles the factory tires should last on a 99 NSX ?
Wrong forum. This forum is for discussions about how the NSXprime website works.

Oh, and to answer your question - the fronts generally last 10-16K miles and the rears generally last 4-8K miles.

nsxtasy said:
Fronts, 10-16K miles is typical. Rears, 4-8K.

I think Acura has been selling these cars to mostly people who can't drive. When I owned my original '93 shod with AO22s I got 10 -12 k out of the rears and 18k from the fronts. With the current '93 and 17/18 wheelsand SO3s I've been getting 12k from the rears and 25k from the fronts.

You could epoxy Gumby dolls to my rear wheels and I'd get more than 4000 miles out of them :)

Hugh said:
I think Acura has been selling these cars to mostly people who can't drive. When I owned my original '93 shod with AO22s I got 10 -12 k out of the rears and 18k from the fronts. With the current '93 and 17/18 wheelsand SO3s I've been getting 12k from the rears and 25k from the fronts.

You could epoxy Gumby dolls to my rear wheels and I'd get more than 4000 miles out of them :)
Yeah, that's because your car has "zymes", and not everyone knows how to use them properly!!!:biggrin:

12K miles is like half the driving I spend in a year. That means I would go through 2 sets of rear tire yearly. Good that I switch to GoodYear this time at an affordable price.

RPM217 said:
Yeah, that's because your car has "zymes", and not everyone knows how to use them properly!!!:biggrin:

No wonder my coolant hose failed today. Some people's cars get stolen, other's keyed, mine got zymed! What to do? :eek:

Jin1976 said:
12K miles is like half the driving I spend in a year. That means I would go through 2 sets of rear tire yearly. Good that I switch to GoodYear this time at an affordable price.

Which Goodyears (model/sizes) are you running Jin and how much do they cost over in The Sultanate?

The best one. Eagle F1 GSD3. Front 205/45/16 and Rear 255/40/17. I bought both front and rears for BND800 which translate to about USD400. Actually our currency exchange would be USD1 = BND1.7 but have to add the tax and shipment over. I paid BND600 for a pair of rears for the GoodYear and for the same size Michelin PS2 paid about BND1200/pair.

I think our Michelin supplier here is cheating since from TireRack I've check the price between the two tires do not differ that much. The Mich PS2 costs USD209 and the GoodYear is USD188.
Hugh said:
Which Goodyears (model/sizes) are you running Jin and how much do they cost over in The Sultanate?

Ive got about 14,000 miles on my fronts, and about 11,000 on the rear with no major wear. These are on the Goodyear GSD3 tires, bought at an excellent price.

Last time I went to the alignment shop, I asked for a little less aggresive of a alignment to prolong the tire wear, and I think the alignment shop did exactly that ! Heh. Didnt expect to go as many miles as I have without very noticable tire wear !

Hugh said:
I think Acura has been selling these cars to mostly people who can't drive.
And you must be one of them. Stop babying your car, and start driving it hard! If you do, you should see the belts on your rear tires by the time they've got 4K miles on them. (I had one set that didn't even last 3K.)

Note - the stock tires on a '94-96 NSX should get about 40 percent more miles of life than on a '91-93, based on my experience using both sizes on my car and keeping track of the mileage.

Hugh said:
I think Acura has been selling these cars to mostly people who can't drive. When I owned my original '93 shod with AO22s I got 10 -12 k out of the rears

I've only put 3,000 miles on my new NSX, but I can see how you could really wear the rears out. Its SOOOO much fun to slide the back end around corners. :biggrin:

I just ordered a new set of rear tires, almost exactly 10,000 miles after I replaced them last summer. I might have been able to push a thousand more miles out of them, but they are down to the wear bars on the insides and I'm leaving on a 3000 mile road trip next week, so off they go.

Yokohama AVS ES100 in case anyone was wondering.

bodypainter said:
I just ordered a new set of rear tires, almost exactly 10,000 miles after I replaced them last summer. I might have been able to push a thousand more miles out of them, but they are down to the wear bars on the insides and I'm leaving on a 3000 mile road trip next week, so off they go.

Wow 10k do you track the car as well?

bodypainter said:
The question here was asked about the stock tires. The ES100 is an inexpensive tire designed for those who are more concerned with value than with performance. (We use the ES100 on one of our Integras.) Its performance is nowhere near the level of the stock tires, so it's no surprise that it lasts longer (its treadwear rating is 280, vs 120 for the A022H). It may be okay for those who want an inexpensive tire and are willing to sacrifice significant performance in doing so, but if you got an NSX for its performance, you would be wise to get better tires that don't degrade that performance.

Back