Tire Wear/Mileage....

I did not want to hi jack another post but was quite surprised when reading that a set of tires @~8000 miles use, are about toast. I mean hell, a set of shoes must run close to $800 or more ( I did not check prices ). I can't imagine though having to drop near a grand every 8k miles or so. Is this true??
I am so wanting to buy a 2002-03 as soon as I am back to civilization and have all but eliminated my other choices which were a 911 and even tossed the idea of an Elise (or Exige) around but the idea of new tires every 8k miles is a little bit disturbing. Say it ain't so :confused:

I did not want to hi jack another post but was quite surprised when reading that a set of tires @~8000 miles use, are about toast. I mean hell, a set of shoes must run close to $800 or more ( I did not check prices ). I can't imagine though having to drop near a grand every 8k miles or so. Is this true??
I am so wanting to buy a 2002-03 as soon as I am back to civilization and have all but eliminated my other choices which were a 911 and even tossed the idea of an Elise (or Exige) around but the idea of new tires every 8k miles is a little bit disturbing. Say it ain't so :confused:

Hey neighbor!

Depends on how and where you drive. Track driving will definitely decrease your usage ,but just regular street driving should yield decent mileage. Of course all the cars on your list come with sticky fast wearing rubber.

with correct alignment, you may yeild pretty good mileage for the tires, even with lowering. I wouldn't expect the 911 had any better mileage.

Definately not with the Exige/Elise.

shoes?

you mean tires :biggrin:

good alignment helps but factory camber eats tires anyways.

The easiest way to get 2X life is to unmount the tires, flip them around to the other side so the outside now be comes the inside.

The problem is that the car drives a little bit unstable for the first 1000 miles as the treads wear normalizes. good luck. tires are $$$$ :smile:

I got 275/35/R18 and they are an arm and a leg.

OEM Bridgestones on the rear: 7100 miles and they are about gone.
Fronts have been on for two sets of rears and will probably last thru the third set.
Some folks use other tires and manage more miles. Check the wheel and tire section threads.

OEM sticky tires and OEM aggressive alignment is the most expensive (and responsive) combination. I go through rears about every 7500 and fronts every 15000 in this configuration. You can get more miles by adjusting the alignment more conservatively or buying harder tires.

Depends on how and where you drive. Track driving will definitely decrease your usage ,but just regular street driving should yield decent mileage.
It also depends on how you define "decent" (as well as how you have your alignment set, which tires you get, etc).

When I was using my OEM Yokohama A022H on the track as well as the street, my rears lasted 3-4K total miles including 500-800 track miles, while my fronts lasted 2-3 times as long. Now that I am using separate tires for the track, my street tires are lasting 4-6K miles rear.

OEM sticky tires and OEM aggressive alignment is the most expensive (and responsive) combination. I go through rears about every 7500 and fronts every 15000 in this configuration. You can get more miles by adjusting the alignment more conservatively or buying harder tires.

Maybe (probably) with the Yokos, but the Bridgestone RE040s mine came with sucked. Very loud. No better handling (than my F1 GS-D3s). ~30% faster treadwear. Worse wet weather traction. And also more expensive. :eek:

I'm at 7500 miles on my GS-D3s, and will soon be hoping for a South Florida dry spell. 9000 will be the limit on this set of rears. Fronts are about halfway gone I'd say.

Maybe (probably) with the Yokos, but the Bridgestone RE040s mine came with sucked. Very loud. No better handling (than my F1 GS-D3s). ~30% faster treadwear. Worse wet weather traction. And also more expensive. :eek:

I'm at 7500 miles on my GS-D3s, and will soon be hoping for a South Florida dry spell. 9000 will be the limit on this set of rears. Fronts are about halfway gone I'd say.

Good point.

I've had both OEM 16/17s and I VASTLY prefer the Yokos. If I went with anything other than the 16/17s I would definitely check into the GS-D3s.

Cheers,

Ok so I am accepting that this is gonna be part of the normal routine of NSX ownership....one tire I have yet to hear mentioned is the Michelin Pilot Sports or the PS2's....any user input on these, or are they unavailable in NSX sizes????

Ok so I am accepting that this is gonna be part of the normal routine of NSX ownership....one tire I have yet to hear mentioned is the Michelin Pilot Sports or the PS2's....any user input on these, or are they unavailable in NSX sizes????

I've never had them on and NSX, but I had them on my BMW. I LOVE them. Quiet, grippy in wet and dry, good if not exceptional wear. If they come in the right sizes, I would be all over them.

Neither the Pilot Sport nor the Pilot Sport PS2 is available in a size small enough for the NSX front.

I think the F1 GS-D3 is just as good, anyway, though.

shoes?

The easiest way to get 2X life is to unmount the tires, flip them around to the other side so the outside now be comes the inside.

The problem is that the car drives a little bit unstable for the first 1000 miles as the treads wear normalizes. good luck. tires are $$$$ :smile:

I got 275/35/R18 and they are an arm and a leg.

I have Dunlop 285-35-18 on the back and have 10,500 miles at least on them and they look fine. I'm sure they are wearing uneven though. Is this switching to the other side OK, I guess they are still spinning te same direction so it seems right.

Back