Timing belt on low mileage 97?

I suppose this could be in the ownership section. But I'm evaluating a 97 with 23K miles. Apparently well taken care of (will verify). I read the FAQ and I suppose the official recommendation is that a 97 is a nine year old car and needs a timing belt. But there seems to be plenty of info that says the timing belt is very sturdy.

Any recent experience or opinions on this? I'd prefer not to buy the car and have to spend $1800 on a timing belt service right away.

I would get it done for your own piece of mind. Have the water pump done as well. You'll feel better about it, even though you may have spent money prematurely. $50k car: Just think about that for a sec..

It's one of those better safe than sorry scenario. If I were you, I'd negotiate the price with the seller for all the maintenance that is not up to date. The job cost about $1200. If not done and engine blows, it'll cost you $4-5k easy to replace the engine. LIkelihood of the engine blowing due to old timing belt is very small but it has had happen.

-ak

I recently purchased a 93 with less than 20K miles on it. First week I had it I changed the timing belt & Water Pump. The old ones appeared to be in great shape when the dealer gave them back to me.

I can rest easy knowing they were changed. :wink:

Its up to you to make the call.

Back