throttle body cleaning with CTSC

kye

Contributing Member
Hi All,
Is there any problem with using spray throttle body cleaner with the CTSC? I have a rough idle and a little hessitation when pulling away up to 2000 RPM then off she goes with no issue, have changed the plugs but issue is same, have read that throttle body is something to clean in this situation and I have never cleaned it but was probably cleaned 5 years ago when the CTSC install was done.
Does the spray alone do the trick if ok to use or is there other cleaning necassary?
Cheers
Kye

You really don't want to get much if any TB cleaner into your supercharger. The Supercharger twin screws have a teflon coating of some time that promotes the seal. I suppose very little overspray is probably ok but if I were you i'd remove the TB to clean it or use a rag so no overspray ends up in there.

You're problem could be an Idle Control Valve issue also...

Hi All,
Is there any problem with using spray throttle body cleaner with the CTSC? I have a rough idle and a little hessitation when pulling away up to 2000 RPM then off she goes with no issue, have changed the plugs but issue is same, have read that throttle body is something to clean in this situation and I have never cleaned it but was probably cleaned 5 years ago when the CTSC install was done.
Does the spray alone do the trick if ok to use or is there other cleaning necassary?
Cheers
Kye

I sent this link to LarryB and am sure he will give you the best and correct information for this.

Hi Kye,

This is typically not a symptom of a dirty throttle body. Sounds like an 02 sensor. Go to the rear valve cover, passenger side rear. Disconnect the 02 sensor 4 pin gray connector. You will get a CEL. Drive the car and see how it runs.

Regards,
LarryB

Hi All,
Cheers
Kye

When you changed the plugs, did you correctly gap them? This is very important as some people incorrectly think that NGK plugs are pre gapped.

Ask me how I know. :redface:

Some how i keep thinking all Iridium plugs said NOT to gap since its pre-gapped. But never hurt to check before throwing it in.

Hi Larry and All.
Plugs, I replaced with Denso Iridium plugs with the same Spec as the ones that were fitted by driving ambition same gaps also.

Larry - on my drive home the check engine light came on and stayed on. I got home and pulled the connector passenger side on back of engine (i assume i pulled the correct one, only one i saw matching your description of location). Anyway, started the engine and the TCS light came on and stayed on. Engine seemed to idle lower and then I drove a little and could feel that the hessitation was gone.

is it correct that with this cable pulled TCS light comes on? doesnt seem correct to me. please advise.

I will try to read the code tomorrow at Honda from the check engine light.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 151
.....The Supercharger twin screws have a teflon coating of some time that promotes the seal...

I dunno much about the Whipple, but the Autorotor/Kenne Bell twin screws are suppose to be anodized so chemicals like that won't strip it.

OP, is this the CTCS whipple or KB version?

Also, the last time I sprayed cleaners (when I was a kid) in a running engine cost me some piston rings since it cleaned off the cylinder walls the protective oil film....

I dunno much about the Whipple, but the Autorotor/Kenne Bell twin screws are suppose to be anodized so chemicals like that won't strip it.

OP, is this the CTCS whipple or KB version?

Also, the last time I sprayed cleaners (when I was a kid) in a running engine cost me some piston rings since it cleaned off the cylinder walls the protective oil film....
I would actually love to know the definitive answer to the coating question. I got that answer talking directly with a rep at Magnuson not KB. I still want to run methanol this year so this bit of info would be helpful.

Let us know what you find.

All-
Code is 6 long flashes and one quick flash of CEL, this is 61 right? which indicates an O2 sensor. Does anyone know if this is an easy one to replace.

Not sure if i can use stock sensors as i have cantrell headers and taitec GTLW exhaust.

All-
Code is 6 long flashes and one quick flash of CEL, this is 61 right? which indicates an O2 sensor. Does anyone know if this is an easy one to replace.

Not sure if i can use stock sensors as i have cantrell headers and taitec GTLW exhaust.

Your car is a '98 correct, you should be using a OBDII scanner to check codes and monitor O2 data to see what sensor needs to be replaced. If it is a primary O2 (before cat) then I would replace them as a pair bank1 and bank2, the secondary O2's (after cat) can be replaced as they fail. You can get them at just about any auto parts store, but you should avoid the universal units and go for one with the correct connector and wire length so you have no splices to deal with. SOS has them as a set and they are far cheaper than the dealer. You can also find them online at www.sparkplugs.com stick with the name brands if possible, NGK, NTK, Denso.

As far as easy goes, the rear Bank is easy the front bank is harder, if your headers moved the sensor to the collector it will be easy as the new location is ussually under the engine and not up against the fire wall. One other thing to check is the O2 extensions that came with the headers, check these to see if any of the pins have pushed out of the connectors or if the wire has been burned by touching something it should not if it was not routed and secured properly when the headers were installed.

Dave

I would actually love to know the definitive answer to the coating question. I got that answer talking directly with a rep at Magnuson not KB. I still want to run methanol this year so this bit of info would be helpful.

Let us know what you find.

http://kennebell.net/superchargers/BigBore/BigBore.html

• Lower parasitic loss.
• Highest HP potential.
• Cooler denser air charge temps.
• Up to 33% greater belt contact patch.
• Billet construction. Stronger than cast.
• Huge boost / HP gains with same pulley ratio.
• Less rpm with same boost. Reduces friction, heat and wear.
• Sleek, lightweight, high rpm design. Fits under stock hoods.
• New design BIG BORE rotors (4.41” vs. competitions 4.11” and 4.17”).
• Largest bore big displacement Billet Twin Screws (4.2L, 3.6L, 2.8L, 2.6L, 2.1L).
• CNC machined billet inlet and outlet. No porting required or ever recommended.
• 4x6 rotor lobes vs. 3x5 competition. Reduces male rotor speed 10% (1.5 vs 1.66 ratio).
• Larger pulleys - less slippage - more HP. Eliminates expensive “overdrive” crank pulleys, cog belts, etc.
Hard anodized rotors for corrosion and wear protection. No Teflon to flake or rub off and clog intercooler.

Look liquid cooled KB

lc.jpg

Thanks!! ^^

I've contacted several meth/water injection companies out there regarding a meth kit that functions based on AIT. The few that have responded so far are crazy or simply don't understand my question. They tend to adapt the meth spray based on boost not temp. I can understand that if you're tuning for Meth but what if you want the meth to simply cool the air in place of an intercooler. Ugh.. maybe i'm the one that's losing it.

Last edited:
Problem solved, it was the cable indicated by code 61, changed to a new one, idle is now spot on and car all back to normal. Thanks for your help!

Back