thoughts on ebay car? jh4na1159nt000148

Re: thoughts on ebay car?

A salvaged '92 with 200,000+ miles needing a clutch and tranny for 16K - - - well, you get what you paid for.........

That car is a mess, typical NSX people see and say, THAT LOOKS LIKE CRAP, NSX's look dated etc etc etc

Still, if I had 15K I would offer and make it pretty, a POS I am sure performance wise, but pretty LOL

Oscar

I guess the car was orginally RED, if you look at the engine bay its red
Half ass paint job in my book.

and a rebuilt tran for 2300 where? tell me their name so I can get that price to. LOL

but for a starter NSX its worth the price. shit even the parts are worht more than the car.

so if you got it and parted it out you could on paper double yor money

I say yes get it. part it out

Since it already has Imola paint, this would be a good project car for a quasi Type-S conversion. Here's what you're looking at for cost. I assume it has no maintenence records and I am including labor costs.

Option 1 --> JDM 5-speed Type-S Clone
Mechanical Costs
NSX Expert Mechanic Inspection: $250
NSX Expert Body Shop Inspection (to ensure frame rail safety, etc): $250
Car: $15,500
JDM Gears: $1,000
R&R Trans/Install Gears: $1,500
Clutch: $1,500 (labor saved through gear install)
Timing Belt/Water Pump: $2,000
Valve Adjust: $500
Coolant Hoses: $600
Clutch Master/Slave: $1,000
Type-S Suspension: $1,800
Misc. Replacement Parts/Seals That Break After You Buy It: $2,000
-----------------------------
Total Mechanical: $27,900

Cosmetic Costs
Paint Engine Bay Imola: $1,000
Top Level Detail + Paint Correction (i.e., Oakes): $1,000
OEM Airbox + Filter: $150
DF Type-S/R Mesh Engine Cover: $500
Type-S Door Emblems: $50
Type-S Rear Emblem: $60
OEM Coolant Tank: $90
Type-S Coolant Tank Cover: $150
SOS Type-S Shift Knob: $130
94-96 Gunmetal Wheels + Tires: $2,000
Interior Refresh (Console, Carpets, etc.): $1,500
-----------------------------------------------
Total Cosmetic: $6,630

TOTAL COST: $34,530

For $35k, you get a nearly perfect American Type-S and will be the star of your local import meets. :D

Option 2 --> 6-Speed Type-S Clone
Mechanical Costs
NSX Expert Mechanic Inspection: $250
NSX Expert Body Shop Inspection (to ensure frame rail safety, etc): $250
Car: $15,500
Used 6-Speed Trans: $3,500
SOS Sport Clutch: $1,700 (labor saved through trans install)
Install Trans/Clutch: $1,000

Timing Belt/Water Pump: $2,000
Valve Adjust: $500
Coolant Hoses: $600
Clutch Master/Slave: $1,000
Type-S Suspension: $1,800
Misc. Replacement Parts/Seals That Break After You Buy It: $2,000
-----------------------------
Total Mechanical: $28,100

Cosmetic Costs
Paint Engine Bay Imola: $1,000
Top Level Detail + Paint Correction (i.e., Oakes): $1,000
OEM Airbox + Filter: $150
DF Type-S/R Mesh Engine Cover: $500
Type-S Door Emblems: $50
Type-S Rear Emblem: $60
OEM Coolant Tank: $90
Type-S Coolant Tank Cover: $150
SOS Type-S Shift Knob: $130
Type-S Shift Boot (6MT): $300
94-96 Gunmetal Wheels + Tires: $2,000
Interior Refresh (Console, Carpets, etc.): $1,500
-----------------------------------------------
Total Cosmetic: $6,930

TOTAL COST: $35,030

The cost is almost the same as the 5-speed, so I would do the 6-speed option. Because this is a salvage/rebuilt title, I would only do this project if I was a NSX fanatic and intended to keep the car for life. You would never recoup these costs if you tried to sell it. 35 grand for a 6-speed Type-S is pretty damn good, considering what you have to pay for a Zanardi and the fact that it would be blasphemy to paint it Imola. That is why I have always been supportive of doing S and R conversions on salvage coupes. Since the value already is killed due to the title, it becomes cost-effective to do the conversion if (a) you intend to keep it or (b) you are an awesome rebuilder like macninja or shawn and will do it right and sell it to an enthusiast who will keep the car.

Well Honcho, you've done it again - gone and just ruined all the fun with this totally complete break down of expenses. That's right you've killed the deal - now this guy is saying WTF - why in hell would I do any of that with a 200k mile salvage POS???

Answer is - nobody in their right mind would do all that - even Shawn would have trouble forking out for this "porker".....i'm right aren't I Shawn. Even Shawn would save his money for another 02 with slight body damage.

Now we no longer have anyone to play with on this car....way to go Honcho.....:biggrin:

Oh, forgot to add - there will be a whole lot more stuff than just what's on your basic list - I can tell you that - you forgot to mention a steering rack - it will certainly need that! Add another 1000. I don't even want to look at the seats....you gotta know this is a mess. Wow - it's just too bad when they end up like this one - in some yo yo's hands that just has no money and buys a turkey and now he wants to dump it on the unaware!

Ohhhh boy. Listen to Honcho on this one - he's right except for one thing - if Honcho was going to do this he'd find a better starter car - preferrably one with about 100k less miles. Am I wrong Honcho???

Adios dudes....:wink:

Tim, I seriously considered doing this but stopped for a couple reasons. First, I really like my Black/Ivory coupe. I mean really. I've already got so much into the car getting it back to where I want, that with an interior refresh and some minor mechanical tweaks, it is going to be exactly what I want and I will keep the car basically forever. Second, while I love the idea of a Type-S or NSX-R, I don't know if I could live with it as a lifetime car. Each version has some things I want, but none has it all. By contrast, my current NSX has it all because I made it that way. My last major mod will be the NA2 NSX-R suspension and then it will be perfect. Well, perfect for me. ;)

By contrast, a project like this would be perfect for the NSX enthusiast who (a) is a purist; (b) wants a Type-S or NSX-R but lives in the US where you cannot buy one; and (c) will keep the car forever and doesn't care about salvage or resale. Spoon tried to reach this customer but failed miserably with their LHD NSX-R GT program. The product had poor fit and finish (lost the general public), used Spoon aftermarket parts instead of Honda OEM (lost the purists); used the GT body kit (not very popular); was NA1 (even though advertised as a NSX-R) and; tried to charge $125,000 US for it (got laughed out of the room- that's GT3 money).

By contrast, here you have an opportunity to have a nearly perfect Type-S for less than $50,000 that will look right, drive right and, except for lacking a 3.2, deliver the Type-S experience in the US. But, you're right Tim, I would add $10,000 to the $35k number to cover all the little things that go wrong when you attempt a project like this. Still, a $45,000 Imola Type-S isn't too shabby and I'm sure there are a few people here in the US who would fork out the money for that.

In a case like this, I want the starting car to be worse, not better. All that matters in a project like this is that the body is safe and the engine runs. Everything else is going to be replaced or repaired anyway...

Well Honcho, you've done it again - gone and just ruined all the fun with this totally complete break down of expenses. That's right you've killed the deal - now this guy is saying WTF - why in hell would I do any of that with a 200k mile salvage POS???

Answer is - nobody in their right mind would do all that - even Shawn would have trouble forking out for this "porker".....i'm right aren't I Shawn. Even Shawn would save his money for another 02 with slight body damage.

Now we no longer have anyone to play with on this car....way to go Honcho.....:biggrin:

Oh, forgot to add - there will be a whole lot more stuff than just what's on your basic list - I can tell you that - you forgot to mention a steering rack - it will certainly need that! Add another 1000. I don't even want to look at the seats....you gotta know this is a mess. Wow - it's just too bad when they end up like this one - in some yo yo's hands that just has no money and buys a turkey and now he wants to dump it on the unaware!

Ohhhh boy. Listen to Honcho on this one - he's right except for one thing - if Honcho was going to do this he'd find a better starter car - preferrably one with about 100k less miles. Am I wrong Honcho???

Adios dudes....:wink:

fact of the matter is you'll sink an easy 5-10k in this car and have 25k in a car with 200k miles a rebuilt title and a color change. If it was the original red I prob would have made an offer already.I would still buy this car but not for 16k.

My view is that, for those who want to buy a reasonable car at a reasonable price (definition up to you), this you should view as junk. siD
I wouldn't go as far as junk but definitely going to cost you big buck to get it in decent order. The biggest set back for me is the red in the engine bay. Either way he seems like an ok guy but Im not sure if it was his cause to deceive or wasn't aware. He could have saved me almost 4 days just by saying it was a rebuilt title.

I wouldn't go as far as junk but definitely going to cost you big buck to get it in decent order. The biggest set back for me is the red in the engine bay. Either way he seems like an ok guy but Im not sure if it was his cause to deceive or wasn't aware. He could have saved me almost 4 days just by saying it was a rebuilt title.

.....respectfully retract my statement of the car being "junk" rather politely saying "its in poor shape and needs lots of money to make it nice". siD

.....respectfully retract my statement of the car being "junk" rather politely saying "its in poor shape and needs lots of money to make it nice". siD

Ill second that one, I always think of resell while buying. You'd never recoupe your $$ in that purchase.

current (zero bids) is $12,900
if you could get it for that, and just drive it into the ground?

thoughts?

Minus the clutch and the first gear, at 13k you'd be hooked in that car for around 16-17k just in that repair alone. A car is worth what some one is willing to pay, if its worth it to ya pay what you want!

Who in their right mind would want a 200k mile car and at the end of all the work have 30k in it? Not too smart I'd say. Now if you could get it for around 10k and put 10k in it - that would be about right for a 200k mile car.

On the other hand if you were to sink a bunch in it and completely transform the car and like Honcho suggests make it an "R" clone - you might just might squeek it out and have something worth all the time and money spent. I'd have a hard time doing that - but now if you could get it below 10k - well then maybe - like 7 or 8k.

I know that most here are cringing at the idea that an NSX could go that cheap - but folks it could happen. They aren't getting any younger out there. Sooner or later one will be run into the ground and will need almost everything - that's when you'll see one drop below 10k. This one isn't far away - most likely bought by some young guy that had no idea what he was getting himself into and was sold a bill of goods. Had a really big misconception of what it takes to get one back to proper running condition and is now trying to just get out from under a huge expenditure that he has no way of being able to make. Too bad to see em like that.

I wouldn't buy a car like that to dismantle unless I had a business dismantling cars - even still you'd have to get it way less than 15k. Imho that is.

Who in their right mind would want a 200k mile car and at the end of all the work have 30k in it? Not too smart I'd say. Now if you could get it for around 10k and put 10k in it - that would be about right for a 200k mile car.

On the other hand if you were to sink a bunch in it and completely transform the car and like Honcho suggests make it an "R" clone - you might just might squeek it out and have something worth all the time and money spent. I'd have a hard time doing that - but now if you could get it below 10k - well then maybe - like 7 or 8k.

I know that most here are cringing at the idea that an NSX could go that cheap - but folks it could happen. They aren't getting any younger out there. Sooner or later one will be run into the ground and will need almost everything - that's when you'll see one drop below 10k. This one isn't far away - most likely bought by some young guy that had no idea what he was getting himself into and was sold a bill of goods. Had a really big misconception of what it takes to get one back to proper running condition and is now trying to just get out from under a huge expenditure that he has no way of being able to make. Too bad to see em like that.

I wouldn't buy a car like that to dismantle unless I had a business dismantling cars - even still you'd have to get it way less than 15k. Imho that is.
well it sold at 12,9, more than I would have paid.

That ain't bad, not too high but the guy has his work cut out for himself. You could do worse I suppose. That's about the lowest I've heard one go for. Interesting - what you have to say Honcho - you watching this???

I am watching. I think that is an ok price. The engine and trans are worth about 5k to 7.5k alone. I think 10k was a better price. I stand by my opinion that this car is a great candidate for a top-level Type-S conversion.

I am watching. I think that is an ok price. The engine and trans are worth about 5k to 7.5k alone. I think 10k was a better price. I stand by my opinion that this car is a great candidate for a top-level Type-S conversion.

5-7k on a 200k mile engine with a bad transmission? riiiight

sold for 12k on ebay with no reserve

if it was sold to someone who has the skills of shawn/mac, then the car is well on the way to recovery.

is it just me or are ebay nsx's in the sellers market. i swear i saw a lime green supercharged nsx sell on ebay for under 25k recently; was unsure if there was a reserve price tho.

Reference was made that the engine had been rebuilt 35,000 miles ago. Just sayin....
No receipts at all.. just sayin....
sold for 12k on ebay with no reserve

if it was sold to someone who has the skills of shawn/mac, then the car is well on the way to recovery.

is it just me or are ebay nsx's in the sellers market. i swear i saw a lime green supercharged nsx sell on ebay for under 25k recently; was unsure if there was a reserve price tho.

it was bit to 12,900.

Back