Thinking of selling 01 s2000 and getting a 96 nsx

Hi everyone.

I'm new to this forum and this is my first post ever.

The reason I subscribed to this forum is because I found a 96 NSX-T with 70K miles for around $30.000 in a dealership near home. I currently own an s2000 and I'm thinking of trading it in for the NSX.
Since I'm completely new to this new world, I would like to pass this question to the knowledgable people here.

What are the downsides of getting a 96 NSX-T with 70K miles? Any bugs on this year? Any particular problems? Is it worth it going from an 01 s2000 to a 96 nsx even though the s2000 is newer?

Whatever you guys know, I would like to know.

Thanks in advance.

Make sure the 60K service has been done.

Find out if it is an original clutch.

30K is really really cheap for a 96 NSX even with 70K miles. That should still fetch $35K.

I would be very cautious.

Welcome.

The FAQ has an excellent price guide chart. I suggest you ask an owner in the area to check the car out for you. As to whether you should get one, thats something only you can answer.

Having owned a 01 S2000 previous to my current 02 NSX, here are the things you will probably miss:

Dash controls.
Neutral handling, but can be easily fixed with different spring rates.

Thats about it. The rest is ALLL upside.

That said, the 95 and the 96 NSX's have the targa roofs (which are great IMO) which are heavier, but dont have the added HP and 6sp gearing advantage of the 97+s. So your getting the heavier car with the lower powered engine.

Still could be a great car, but as NetViper suggested, make sure you get it inspected. Im shocked to see the % of salvaged/accidented NSXs for sale right now..its very high.

SPA_S2000 said:
Having owned a 01 S2000 previous to my current 02 NSX, here are the things you will probably miss:

Dash controls.
Neutral handling, but can be easily fixed with different spring rates.

Thats about it. The rest is ALLL upside.

That said, the 95 and the 96 NSX's have the targa roofs (which are great IMO) which are heavier, but dont have the added HP and 6sp gearing advantage of the 97+s. So your getting the heavier car with the lower powered engine.

Still could be a great car, but as NetViper suggested, make sure you get it inspected. Im shocked to see the % of salvaged/accidented NSXs for sale right now..its very high.
All really good advice and as the owner of two S2000's (a 2001 and a 2002) I agree with most of what's been said here.

If it were me, I'd prefer the 1994 model over the 95 or 96 if I couldn't afford the 1997+. I rarely take the roof panel out of my 1998 (although I do it more than I originally thought I would) and I find it to be a poor excuse for a real convertible. It's nice, but it's not the same.

Go for it! :smile:

Having owned 2 S2000's a 99 and a 02 GT I traded up to a 91 NSX, yes one of the early ones :eek: with 70,000 miles. I've not looked back tho, yes I miss the soft top and superb short gate shift, but the NSX makes up for it in other areas.

As said above, service history, cambelts, clutch are the all important required items, and make sure its straight!

Not sure about the situation over the pond, but in the UK the S2000 is now quite common, but I have never seen another NSX on the road apart from a recent small meet ( we got about 5 together at a show )

orbusrex said:
Why would you prefer a 94 over 95/96? I'm real interested in an older NSX (35k range) and would love the targa...
If you don't use the Targa much, then the 94 is lighter and the body stiffer than the 96 with the same horspower.

SoCalDude said:
If you don't use the Targa much, then the 94 is lighter and the body stiffer than the 96 with the same horspower.

Exactly. Not to mention the fact that I'm "old school" and really like the black painted roof of the pre-95 cars and I'd rather put the $ from the price differential between a 1994 and a 1996 and put it in the bank for maintenance or upgrades (6-speed tranny anyone?)

I was in the same situation as you. Now that I decided to jump on a 97+ NSX, guess which one im selling? Not the NSX, thats for sure :-). The S2000 is a great car, but the NSX is that much more great. The only thing I will probably miss is the shifter, and the convertible top(although the targa will be okay).

That is really cheap for a 96 NSXT. I would get it checkout for frame damage and etc. When it's too good to be true it normally is.

Another current S2000 and NSX owner here ('02 S2000, '91 NSX, '94 NSX). I would say have a very detailed check out done on the NSX and see if you can find service records. Also, have a well regarded body shop look at the car to see if anything is damaged, or was damaged. Money spent on the check out can save you thousands down the road....trust me.

Back