• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Thinking of getting Masters online...advice?

Hey Prime,

I'm a student pilot for the Air Force down at Laughlin and I'm starting to think ahead toward getting my Masters.

I know I'm going to get tied up here for the next year or so, but when I have a little time, I'd like to knock out my Masters possibly online since it's doubtful that I'd be able to have time off to do it.

Anyone gotten their Masters online? I'm thinking Embry Riddle since they have what looks to be a decent, legitimate online program and work pretty closely with the AF at some bases like Ramstein. I know Michigan also has a few locations at AF bases too.

Money shouldn't be an object either since it should be paid for by AF.

Advice? Do it, get it done, you'll need it for promotions and you're not going to have more time later..you'll have less. In my opinion, online classes will not be as good as a in-person interactive class. But you need to work with what you have. I started in a MBA program to check the box--I hated it. So my second piece of advice is pick a subject you give a crap about :). I'm working on my Computer Science Master's from Hofstra (distance learning); at $900/credit so TA doesn't cut it there, but the classes are at least interesting (to ME).

My recommendation is (a) go for it; and (b) enroll in a program that is fully "accredited" by nationally recognized accrediting institutions. While accreditation is not necessarily a mark of great program/success - and some may claim it is just a marketing ploy, at least it will be acknowledged as a "legitimate" degree - depending on the circles you travel.

Personally, I am suspect when people show degrees from well marketed institutions on TV/Cable who have money to spend on marketing but not on getting accreditation.

Ok I just wanted to ask because there is a big difference between nationally accredited and regionally accredited?

I have been told that a regionally accredited Masters is worth more than a nationally accredited masters....case in point you have a masters from UCLA/Cal state whatever which is regionally accredited and then someone else has a masters from Phoenix University/whatever else. So does the UCLA masters have more worth then the Phoenix one?

Some schools don't recognize a nationally accredited bs or masters.....like cal state long beach for example does not recognize a bs from Devry University which is a nationally accredited school....so if you wanted to go to cal state long beach they would not recognize the degree/credits you got from Devry.

I am asking because I was thinking of getting a masters from Phoenix, but now thinking maybe I should take some classes back at a jc and transfer to cal state dominguez instead.

So you're basically saying that phoenix univ is legit then? Just trying to make sure thats all.

Advice? Do it, get it done, you'll need it for promotions and you're not going to have more time later..you'll have less. In my opinion, online classes will not be as good as a in-person interactive class. But you need to work with what you have. I started in a MBA program to check the box--I hated it. So my second piece of advice is pick a subject you give a crap about :). I'm working on my Computer Science Master's from Hofstra (distance learning); at $900/credit so TA doesn't cut it there, but the classes are at least interesting (to ME).

I think this is all great advice and I'd advise the same.

So you're basically saying that phoenix univ is legit then? Just trying to make sure thats all.

My 2 cents.
I can't imagine going through all that work and having people question it your entire life.
A lot of brick and mortar universities have online programs. You might have to go in once a week or something. I would think that would be a lot better.

I am actually working on my masters in mechanical engineering through Columbia University's Distance Learning Program. From my experience, there are definitely some pros and cons with doing a distance learning program. While Columbia tries it's best to give distance learning students as much opportunity to interact with the professors and students as much as possible, it isn't ever the same as actually being there in person.

But for me, the pros far outweigh the cons. All the classes are recorded so you can watch them on your own time, as opposed to either re-arranging your schedule to attend class at a set time, or missing class altogether because of a scheduling conflict. There is also something to be said for being able to "attend" a lecture from a university across the country,from the comfort of your own house. And in the end, Distance Learning students earn the exact same M.S. degree as the on-campus students, and even have the option of attending class if they ever visit new york, and even attending the graduation ceremony with the rest of the engineering students.

I am sure you have done your research, but just in case, UCLA, USC, Georgia Tech, University of Chicago Urbana Campaign, and Stanford all have similar programs.

Thanks everyone for all the input.

I talked to another pilot here at Laughlin who was currently getting his Masters through AMU. I won't have the time to do it, but I'd like to start thinking now to prepare for it, and it looks like I will definitely have to do a Masters online.

Columbia's Distance Learning sounds tempting haha. I guess there's alot of good choices depending on what you want to get your degree in. I was a BSME in undergrad at Tennessee, but I'm thinking MBA in Aerospace or MS in Aerospace Science.

Yes, Univ of Phoenix is legit. If a school is Nationally accredited, that's all that matters in the long run. My wife is a transfer credit evaluator for American Public University and my father-in-law has a PhD in Education and is the Vice President of a VERY large Community College System here in VA. If you really want some answers, give me a list of specific questions and I will pass them along for detailed answers.

Also, never say you don't have time - that's bullshit. Go P/T (its online and at YOUR pace) and just take a single course at a time. This is far better than taking nothing, atleast you're taking steps forward. Otherwise, you will look back and realize you wasted a lot of time. People will always say "they're to busy".. you'll find a way to adjust and make it work.

Yes, Univ of Phoenix is legit. If a school is Nationally accredited, that's all that matters in the long run.

Not really on the topic of accreditation, but I heard that many large companies won't even look at peoples resumes with degrees from online schools even if they are accredited. While I obviously don't know if this is true, because I have only heard rumors I am sure it exists because like anything else there will be discrimination.

Also, never say you don't have time - that's bullshit. Go P/T (its online and at YOUR pace) and just take a single course at a time. This is far better than taking nothing, atleast you're taking steps forward. Otherwise, you will look back and realize you wasted a lot of time. People will always say "they're to busy".. you'll find a way to adjust and make it work.

You don't understand. I'm already IN school haha. My time is being used very well. This next year will take my utmost concentration, so I will start my Masters when this is over.

USAFDARKHORSE, I am need to start my masters as well. I finished my bachelors up while stationed in Hawaii. That put me in 5% of the enlisted corps that has there bachelors, only 1% has there masters. Plus its free.

I got my bachelors from Wayland Baptist and would like to get my masters from a public school. I got a few officer friends that have went the Emory Riddle route and have thought about it myself.

On an unrelated note, how you liking Laughlin? I was down there last year a couple of times, and should be coming back this summer. I am currently at Columbus AFB (another pilot student training base) finishing up a job.

Not really on the topic of accreditation, but I heard that many large companies won't even look at peoples resumes with degrees from online schools even if they are accredited. While I obviously don't know if this is true, because I have only heard rumors I am sure it exists because like anything else there will be discrimination.

Thats what I been saying.....seems like a degree from csu/ucla/usc is going have more weight than university of phoenix, but I have to say I know a few people with a masters from there and it was recognized to fill a requirement for a job profession....case in point a teacher job for advancement torwards a higher position.

Back