Thinking of buying this NSX: opinions?

Comment: Custom pearl white text., black leather int., racing wheels, Eibach springs and Koni shocks, Erebuni front lip, spoiler and side skirts. Class drilled rotors on all corners. 91,000 km. $47,000. ELITE LUXURY CARS (613)748-5946 www.eliteluxurycarsales.com (CFTLKP)
05-30-03ecw76-05.jpeg

I drove by last night and spoke to the dealer. The buy's a complete asshole but he does have a decent car. I know a bit of the history as I live in a small town. The previous owner was the 2nd owner, and owned a local ricershop until he succumbed to a brain tumour 2 years ago. This car has been sitting in this dealership since (for almost 2 years now). The dealer is not willing to budge less than $1000 on the price despite the fact its been sitting on his floor for all this time.

The rims are Volk SE37, 17 and 18".

All prices are in Canadian dollars :D

I'm debating over this or an S2000. Someone convince me on the nsx please!

To me, that price is WAY high. For the most part, mods don't necessarily increase the value. UNLESS that is exactly what you want.

According to the pricing chart here: http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/BuySell/pricing.htm
the car is probably worth around $30-35k depending on the service history. I would also check the carfax for history of an accident. You will find many times when a car has been completey repainted (I'm assuming b/c pearl white wasn't standard) there has been an accident. Also DO have a PPI done at a good Acura dealer!!

I would personally pass on that car, your car will come along.

ANYTIME said:
47,000 Canadian = 34,221 US Dollar (as of 5-22)

Oh, sorry wasn't paying close enough attention. Not that bad of a deal now.... that is as long as it passes the PPI and carfax.:)

It is a 1992, check the snap ring (or it could cost you another 3000$ in the future). :(

If that, services, clutch, timing belt are done you cannot go very wrong... ;)

The car looks very nice!

That's a good price, if its the color you want.
You could turn around and sell the rims, if you don't like them for a couple of grand US.
I would check the snap ring, and the paint work.
Look in the engine bay to figure out what kind of job they did on the paint work, and what color it was before they painted it.

There are not many Nsx's for sale in Canada so they tend to get a higher price than in the US. IMO

if you compare the ownership of S2000 or nsx, I could tell you, it's a night and day difference, and it's been discuss it 5000 times by almost everyone here, you could do a search, but you are getting trouble free maintainence and open top with the nsx.

If you are not too confident, make sure you have a third party who knows nsx very well, be it your buddy, or even ask a nsx prime member (or have 'em recommend you a good dealer) do a throughout check up for you... nsx is a nicest built HONDA ever, and it's trouble free, but when stuff breaks, it'll bite you.

OK, back to the white car, so are you saying the owner suffered brain damage was an ass?? or the Dealer?? Chances are there's someone in the dealership using this car as a fun Sunday car and trying to get away from paying for it... and he's just trying to wait for an innocent big fish who's willing to pay much more money than it's worth... :) If that's true, I'm not sure if you want to be the one.

I kind of like it from the picture you provided though.

If the timing belt and water pump had been changed (90k miles service) This will be an awesome buy. (I'm assuming no body damage history), and it's low mileage too...

Thanks for all the advice and comments, I truly appreciate them all.

To clear things up, the owner of the dealership selling the car is a complete asshole. The previous owner of the car had died from a brain tumour and his car (this car) has been sitting at this dealership ever since. The dealership sells used exotics and high end cars like Bimmers, Jags and MB's.

The original car was red and the car was completely stripped and repainted white. Its championship white btw, which is exactly what I am looking for ;) Small dings on the front lip and bumper and edge of side intakes only. The rest of the paint appears fine. No idea how long ago it was painted.

There are 3 nsx's in the city, all for sale for some time. The other two just recently got sold, and this is the last remaining one. I have no idea if there's an accident in its history. I don't imagine there are too many more prospective nsx owners in the city though...

Since I have a house purchase coming up in Aug, I've decided to take a little chance on this and wait until the fall. If its still here by then I will make a bid on it and see how badly the owner wants to get rid of the car. I have heard from people who have dealt with him that he is stubborn though. Before that I will be sure to get a PPI done by Acura as well as a check on its service and accident history.

Thanks all!

JZ

NSXDreamer2 said:
if you compare the ownership of S2000 or nsx, I could tell you, it's a night and day difference, and it's been discuss it 5000 times by almost everyone here, you could do a search, but you are getting trouble free maintainence and open top with the nsx.

I tried to do a search for posts on this topic but nsxprime keeps directing me to google's web search which turned up nothing!

If someone here can link to threads comparing ownership experience of the S2K vs the NSX I would be very interested.

Thnks
JZ

if you want to look into the off topic, you might find it..

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by NSXDreamer2

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sorry to confuse you, I was actually meaning trouble free maintainences (warranty) and open top is refering to the S2000.

Let me try and see if I can make it straight... I made the decision buying the nsx, so I'm biased..

Pros of S2000,
1. Screaming engine with a feel of driving a Formular engine
2. Cheaper parts
3. normal steel body (if you have any mis-hap, it'll be 10 times easier and cheaper to find someone do a good job of it.)
4. More headroom, in case you are a tall guy, for a NBA player tall guy, I would say just leave the top open :)
5. An easier handling and quicker steering ratio
6. If you like the Japanese style Tohge driving ( in the mountain ), S2000 is much better than the nsx...
7. Factory HiD (I don't think you would compare a 02 nsx to a S2000, so yes, the S2000 had the edge here.)
8. Even not utilizing the twin disc, the clutch still grips good if not as nice and fast as the nsx, but less trouble of worrying the fast wearing, that is, if you don't know how to drive the grappy clutch.
9. rear tire doesn't wear as fast as the nsx
10. Powersteering... If you do a lot of double parking in steep hill, and you don't have the premium of "choosing" a good spot to park, S2000 smaller's size and power steering would be a breeze comparing to the early nsx.
11. If you planning to put a supercharger or even go turbo (I don't know if that exists on S2000), it'll be as fun as the FI'ed nsx but if in case you blew the engine, you don't need to fork out more than 10k to get an used engine.

Cons...
1. If you see an nsx pass by your S2000, doesn't matter how old it is, you will still envy, given you could have one for the same price, you will "wonder" if you were making a wrong decision....
2. On Track and Highway, stock to stock nsx will eat the S2000 alive... but again, if you just look at Outright speed, there's a lot more cars out there can bury S2000 and nsx...
3. At 9000 rpm, you might think you will think you are going very fast but the nsx can do that effortlessly in that speed with lower rpm.
4. Drivability in everyday driving... I didn't drive the 2.2 S2000 so I couldn't comment that, but all the 2.0 is a pain to drive in congesting traffic, Not to mention at the low rpm the metallic noise from the engine made you felt like you are driving a very raw early model civic...
5. With its FR configuration, most would think it's more forgiving than the nsx's snappy handling at the limit... Yes, it is... but not too much, I've been told the later model (02), even more so the 2.2 engine had been improved for more traction...again, I haven't driven it, I don't want to comment.
6. If you have a friend that has a S2000, or nsx, try driving them back to back... then you will certainly understand the difference of them... NSX is not your typical luxury coupe, but if you jump from a S2000, you will notice it's much more powerful yet comfortable.
7. Soft top could be expensive, the other day one of my freind's top being cut at his apartment garage... The earlier model had plastic rear "window", it could get very blurry in rain. and it's without defroster.
8. The seat is a hot item to Thieves...

NSXDreamer2 is pretty much right on with most of his points here.

You want a cut simple approach?

Seeing as you are shopping in the same price range for an S and and X, here we go:

S2000 seems more..."nimble" but not by much.
NSX seems to have power through the entire rpm range, where you have to wait a little for the S2000.
S2000 is a droptop.
S2000, somewhat rare, where NSX is crazy rare.
S2000 will probably have a warranty, where an NSX might not.
Cost of mods and maintenance will be lower on the S2000, but both cars are typically higher than any other cars you might be looking at.

These are just a few that jump to mind.
It really depends on what you find to be the most important factors.

I own an S2000 how, and don't regret buying it at all to be honest. I love the car. i've driven my friend's 97 nsx, and I want one. I might end up purchasing an early year, just b/c of the jump in price from a pre to post 97. I, however, plan to keep the S or at least sell it to a family member to keep it close.

It's not an easy decision to make. I will say this though, I think a big key to a transaction is that you and the seller see eye to eye and feel completely comfortable with each other. Regardless of how bad you may want the car, if the seller is a bast, I would just move on.
Good luck.

Wow, great replies. Food for thought no doubt.

I have decided that pricepoint will be key. Being a honda I am not scared of milege, more if the car has been abused in the past. Seeing as this car has been modded a bit that can either mean the old owner loved it to bits or thrashed the hell out of it thinking he's Senna. :P

So, if I can get an NSX for the price of a S2K, I will go NSX.

Again, fantastic posts!

My S2000 seems particularly prone to door dings, more so than any other Honda product I've owned, including the NSX. Have any other S2000 owners noticed this, or am I just unlucky? Wonderful car otherwise, though.

JimK said:
My S2000 seems particularly prone to door dings, more so than any other Honda product I've owned, including the NSX. Have any other S2000 owners noticed this, or am I just unlucky? Wonderful car otherwise, though.

It does seem that the s2000 is very prone to accidents, dents, etc. But then again, we are more critical to look at the S2000 than our other cars that may not be as nice. Not to also mention, that they are more accounts of these mishaps b/c there are more s2000's out there than NSX's. My S has been through a lot, that's for sure.

EssTooKayTD , Jim said "including nsx" so now you are saying his nsx not as nice as the S??? :mad:

Just kidding, if I have enough money I would love to buy a S2000 as a toy...

I have a hypothetical answer: Most door dents are not intentional, but accidents, and most of them are done by passengers instead of drivers...

the nsx, when parked, does draw attetion while people will think it's a ferrari or corvette(don't flame, I hate that too, but to most of the average joe, corvette is a very nice sport car and being yours a honda/acura, they thought you will like that comment." , in case they don't know what an nsx is... anyway, back to the topic, so those people will be extrememly careful not to put a dent on it... And the driver would already commenting the car to their passengers before he put the car beside it.

Now to the S2000, it's a nice little cute car to most people, but it's not that rare... the driver would probably not even mention the car, If in case you parked with the top down, given the small size and low height, those passengers probably didn't realize there's a car there, so swing the door wide open.. and ooops...

Does it make sense?? Hmmm, could it be used for one more reason to buy nsx over the S2000.... hmmmm

NSXDreamer2 said:
EssTooKayTD , Jim said "including nsx" so now you are saying his nsx not as nice as the S??? :mad:

Just kidding, if I have enough money I would love to buy a S2000 as a toy...

I have a hypothetical answer: Most door dents are not intentional, but accidents, and most of them are done by passengers instead of drivers...

the nsx, when parked, does draw attetion while people will think it's a ferrari or corvette(don't flame, I hate that too, but to most of the average joe, corvette is a very nice sport car and being yours a honda/acura, they thought you will like that comment." , in case they don't know what an nsx is... anyway, back to the topic, so those people will be extrememly careful not to put a dent on it... And the driver would already commenting the car to their passengers before he put the car beside it.

Now to the S2000, it's a nice little cute car to most people, but it's not that rare... the driver would probably not even mention the car, If in case you parked with the top down, given the small size and low height, those passengers probably didn't realize there's a car there, so swing the door wide open.. and ooops...

Does it make sense?? Hmmm, could it be used for one more reason to buy nsx over the S2000.... hmmmm

OOOps, I misread. Hey, would I consider selling my S for an X if I didn't think it was the car you all know it to be? :D
Suprisingly enough, the NSX is not much larger than the S2000. WEll at least it didn't look like it in my buddy's garage. I will say this though, the NSX has a larger "presence" and therefore might be less prone to getting hit by a door.

Bottomline, I think it's mainly just unfortunate circumstances. Hate to say it, but my experience is it's mainly mothers that have kids coming out of their cars and swinging doors open, or the mother is more occupied with the child and the door is left to swing and hit cars. I mean you can't blame them, it just sucks. But you know a man will carefully hold his door :p heheheeheh

Just spoke to the dealer again today. Man, is this guy for real? This car has been sitting on his showroom floor for almost 1.5 years!

Its got a clean accident history, he has a service history on it since 1994, but he won't supply me with a VIN "unless I am serious and put money down" :rolleyes: so I cannot confirm the snap ring issue.

I offered him (pending a mechanical inspection) $42,000 CAD and he flatfly refused. I asked him whats his lowest and he said $45K. <---exactly $1K lower than his asking price. He said if he needs to keep it for 4 years to sell it at his price he will....duh.

Anyway, I was so pissed off I told him I will leave my offer at $42K cash NOW or $39K later in the winter. "Call me when you're desperate".

Jackass....

Anyhoo, anyone with a good NSX in Canada to sell please Pm me or respond to this thread.

Thx
JZ

Sounds like it's more trouble than it's worth. Let the car pass man. Maybe it's just not meant to be. Maybe you can wait on another X, or go with the S.

I am one of those people that likes to feel good about the entire transaction. The very fact that he can't give you a VIN is VERY fishy.

If you can go look at the car, you can get the vin yourself!
Tom

JohnnyZ said:
Just spoke to the dealer again today. Man, is this guy for real? This car has been sitting on his showroom floor for almost 1.5 years!

Its got a clean accident history, he has a service history on it since 1994, but he won't supply me with a VIN "unless I am serious and put money down" :rolleyes: so I cannot confirm the snap ring issue.

I offered him (pending a mechanical inspection) $42,000 CAD and he flatfly refused. I asked him whats his lowest and he said $45K. <---exactly $1K lower than his asking price. He said if he needs to keep it for 4 years to sell it at his price he will....duh.

Anyway, I was so pissed off I told him I will leave my offer at $42K cash NOW or $39K later in the winter. "Call me when you're desperate".

Jackass....

Anyhoo, anyone with a good NSX in Canada to sell please Pm me or respond to this thread.

Thx
JZ

Yeah, go get the Vin yourself...

It's not that hard to get since it appears both at door jam and at the drivers dash right underneath the windshield.

I would still trying to avoid buying this car... I couldn't imagine he can put this car in the showroom for 1.5 year. By the way, did you drive it??

I do not know what kind of law does Canada have to protect used car buyers. Even he finally give you a call and make a deal at the price you like; I'll still make sure that you are not going to owe him anything unless the car is checked out by your local dealer and everything is good and straight as he said. Then it's the time you hand out cash.

Now if he insist you have to put deposit even you only request to bring the car to a dealership for checking out... I'll just forget the whole deal and walk away from it.

Back