Thinking About Swapping Out My OEM Stereo System With An Aftermarket One

Hey Guys...
Just wanted to get some suggestions about maybe swapping out my OEM stereo system with an aftermarket one.. Kinda tired of dealing with the problems with my OEM system.. Any suggestions.. ? I was wondering if it was worth doing.,.. Any good set up ideas as well?? Thanks guys..

Kinda depends on what your goals are; what your problems have been; and what type of person you are.

The cheapest route is always to have BrianK replace the caps in the 3 amps .. and also in the head unit if that is req'd. This route assumes some DIY skills on your part in taking the door panels off; removing amps; re-installing; etc.

If you don't have a hate on for BOSE .. and don't want/need to replace the head unit .. then next best is probably to get yourself an 3 or 4 channel aftermarket amp; the SOS wiring kit; and an amp installation kit (new fuse; 4 guage wire; connectors; etc). This approach essentially converts the system from distributed amps to a central amp design but keeps the head unit and door/sub speakers (although you need to bypass the OEM amps to do this). You'll also need the DIY skills mentioned earlier plus some wiring skills; and you'll need to find an acceptable location for the amp. Easiest location is behind the drivers seat on the firewall panels as this is the shortest runs to Gnd and power in engine compartment. Others have installed in the trunk but that will require also running input cables as well as speaker outputs through the firewall that you don't need to do with the first suggestion. If you just want more base, you'll still need to buy a mono sub amp and mount/install it. There are a couple of people on Prime selling replacement sub enclosures for the OEM location that can handle larger subs but some of these can reduce the passenger footwell space so understand the tradeoffs. BTW .. to fully convert to central amp you'll need a left channel; right channel; and one for the sub .. and if you want to preserve the center speaker, you'll need a separate channel for it which is really just a merge of the left and right channels. And, depending on your needs, you may need to bridge two channels together to get the sub output you're looking for (assuming you replace the OEM one). So, 3, 4, or maybe 5 channels. An Alpine PDX-5 D class amp is an example of a multichannel amp that would work.

If you have a hate on for Bose .. or are just one of those people who feels you have to have some particular brand of speaker, then SOS makes speaker enclosures for the doors that are roughly the same shape as the originals but will accept a wider range/size of speakers; crossovers; etc. But you will still need a new amp setup .. see advice above.

And if you have deep pockets .. and/or want to re-do the head unit to include video/nav/etc .. or are one of those who has to have a high-end custom installation to win shows, then that's a whole other kettle of fish.

The cheapest route is always to have BrianK replace the caps in the 3 amps .. and also in the head unit if that is req'd.
Yup. Do that, and there won't be any problems for years. It's worked for me!

This route assumes some DIY skills on your part in taking the door panels off; removing amps; re-installing; etc.
Or, you can have your dealer or mechanic remove them for you. Or, if you live anywhere near Milwaukee, you can swing by his place and he'll swap the parts for you. Or, he usually attends NSXPO, which will be in Raleigh in October, so that's convenient for you, you can arrange for him to do the swap at the event.

You'll find more info about this process on his website; click here.

Incidentally, this is a reason why it helps when you put your location into your profile on NSXprime, so it shows up beneath your username next to your posts. We wouldn't have to guess where you might be located. ;)

I found the 2din Pioneer head unit to be a huge improvement over stock, giving you much more controle of EQ and IMO overall better sound quality.
I used the front line outputs to drive the otherwise OEM bose system and recently added some inexpensive tweeters, driven by the head unit rear amp out.
Kept the tweets in the A pillar to avoid any hassles with running wires into the door and am very happy with the control offered by fading front to back.
Once I installed the tweets I realized how much the Bose system is lacking highs...night and day!
Don't plan on any further changes other than sending the stock stuff to Brian if any of it fails.

Attachments

• IMGP3160.jpg
    IMGP3160.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 71
  • IMGP3164.jpg
    IMGP3164.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 80
  • IMGP3159.jpg
    IMGP3159.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
Back