Thinking about purchasing a 1991 NSX

Hello all,

I'm looking to buy a 1991 NXS and could use your expert opinion. I live in Japan, so it's a "right side drive" car. Is there anything I need to know about this particular year NXS? It has 85,000 miles on it right now and looks clean inside and out. Once this car hits it's 25 year mark I will be able to ship it back to the states and was wondering if it's anything different then the U.S. versions(other then the driver position). I posted a link to the car below, they are asking $26,000. Thanks in advance for your help.

https://www.facebook.com/jdmsalejapan/posts/468760916615081

Last edited:
I'm not an expert but would point out that you'll have more luck buying a 91 NSX than a 91 NXS

Hmmm there's a saying if you can't spell it don't buy it :redface:

One other difference I'm aware of are the taillights. JDM cars had darker red tint on the glass.

but...why not look for a car in the states? 91/92 NSXs are relatively easy to find for sale. Spend your $ on a better condition car rather than on international shipping...

but...why not look for a car in the states? 91/92 NSXs are relatively easy to find for sale. Spend your $ on a better condition car rather than on international shipping...

+1 the costs to import a 25 yr old car from Japan is just not worth it. I could be wrong but, it might be cheaper to buy a very nice N. American NSX and buy the JDM parts you want (except RHD). However, I think the OP needs to post on the NXSPrime forum. They may be more help.

I also live in Japan and could probably give you some good insight as I'm about a month out from purchasing a car there myself.

Did you see that the car's an automatic? I'm not sure if you want that, but it definitely explains the price. Speaking of price, unless JDM EXPO has already taken possession of the car, you can probably find it at the dealer for about $3K less. They may already have it based on the video, but reposting the dealer's ad on their website is something they typically do. I found this out because they were looking for a car for me, and I would crosscheck the cars they sent me with online ads.
The JCI expires here in ~8 months, so a good pre-purchase inspection (PPI) of the car would be warranted so you don't end up at JCI time with thousands of dollars in repair you could have spared yourself by seeing how bad-off (or well-off) the car was in the first place. Ask if they have any records for the car. I'm guessing that answer will be a "no", but you might be surprised.

Front lip and rear "diffuser" both painted in what looks like the same slightly darker silver (should be black). Panel gaps are a little wider up front than I'm used to seeing, but that could be normal. Interior looks pretty OE, just a little wear from the mileage which is understandable. Typical sunshade split.

As far as differences between US and Japanese NSXs from 91-93, for the automatic, I'm not aware of any more than the typical fog lights, the controls for them in the center console, and the Honda badging and lights. The 5 speeds had different ratios from gears 2-4. Indy Yellow was a color as of '92 I believe.

Last edited:
Back