thinking about getting an NSX.....

i have a 01 audi s4 now with "some" mods and i have been looking at getting an NSX. well tonight i went to drive a 91 w/ 85,000 on it.....really just looking at this one to look. i must say i was not impressed at all and i am wondering could it just have been that car? could it be me? could my expectations be so far out of bounds that im now let down?

it seemed very very slow...like it was straining to get going. it seemed like it was mechanically fine and since i live in Phoenix, where the car is it has always been serviced @ baush.

didnt seem very agile, i know i know ill get flamed for this one. it seemed slow to pick a line, like i had to keep re-adjusting it. almost "push" it where i wanted it to go instead of pointing it.

i guess what im asking is, not taking anything away from the car, have i set my sights too high and expectations to grand for the car?

could it be that this one is just a POS and i need to keep looking.

it would be nice to hear from someone who has or had an S4 also for comparison but please, someone, help like this car as a driver as much as i like it as a looker.

thanks
marc

Is this the first vtec dohc honda that you have ever driven? If it is, I can understand your frustration. If it is not, then you may have had a poor performer.

First off was it a stick? If this was your first dohc vtec experience, you need to realize that you cannot drive this engine like a turbo s4, or a v8 na s4. The dohc vtec hondas have below normal torque and horsepower at low rpm's, where most other cars have all of their grunt. You must literally drive these motors between 6k and 8.4k rpm's (no short shifting) to experience what the NSX is all about. if you stay under 6k, it will drive like an Accord so to speak. vtec was designed to allow it to drive like an Accord when needed, and also to allow it to drive like an F1 car when needed.

yes i realize this,i have driven many vtec engines (i have had 7 honda cars)
i am thinking it was just this car, even from 5.5K and up it was not anything that i would even say was impressive....
owell

Assuming there was no problem with that particular car, it really depends upon what you are used to.

You say you drive a B5 S4 with 'some' mods. Do you remember what it was like when it was stock? I have a lot of time behind the wheel and as a passenger in a stock B5 S4, as well as time on the highway with the S4 while in my NSX. The NSX is significantly faster, particularly at high speeds.

You probably miss the massive low-end torque of the S4. You are going to the opposite end of the spectrum with the screaming top-end of the NSX. You need to take the NSX to redline if you want to get the most out of it, and you have pay attention to what gear you are in. I know you have driven many Hondas, but I suspect the S4 is your current criterion.

That said, there are some underwhelming examples of the NSX out there. I drove one that almost convinced me to get something else. Fortunately, I drove another one.

Others have addressed reasons why you may have perceived the acceleration as being less than expected. As for agility, I can assure you that a well-maintained NSX is far, far more agile than any stock Audi. (That's no slight to the Audi; the Quattro system adds great grip, particularly in sloppy conditions, but also adds weight, and agility is where that is felt.)

However, the terrific agility of the NSX can be compromised by one or more things: crappy tires (the stock tires are wonderful though), improper tire inflation, worn shocks (a good possibility on a '91 with 85K miles), improper alignment, etc.

Try driving a nice one. If you tell us where you are located, I'm sure an NSX owner in your area would be happy to let you drive his car.

i would love to drive a nice one and meet up with an enthusiast in my area, (I know some others but they are kinda far away). I live in chandler arizona, which if you are not from here is pretty much phoenix. i am going to LA over the weekend to drive 2 more perspective cars but would still like to meet up with someone local who might educate me some more.
as far as the top end pull, yes i know. i know that there are always NOOB people on every forum with somewhat silly comements and i want to say I hope i dont sound like one of those people.
i still plan on getting an NSX even if underwhelmed @ first.
i was extremally underwhelmed when i bought my S4 also and now i own two...
i do appreciate everyones input so far and look forward to meeting some of you in person.

some have mentioned stock b5 s4's earlier in this post and i agree with the coments.
currently my daily driver S4 has
Stasis track sport suspention w/ 900/800 pound springs. these are fully adjustable in any way you could want
SPP adjustable upper front control arms, to adjust Toe/Cast.

new upgraded engine mounts APR snub mount, AWE driveline stabilzer

Toy guy short shifter with 2 lb Rob Nob shifter (proto type...very heavy)

GHL down pipes with Supersprint exhust, no precats.

ko4/16 hybrid turbos with Zero Clearence coating, ported and polished exhust flanges ceramic coated exhust flanges for higher heat transfer.

GIAC chip with open adjustments for fuel trimming and timing. 5 bar FPR, TCD, MBC and lots of "closet mods" to handle the extra boost and power and trick the ECU.
dyno runs are mid 500's with torque the same. some people have seen more some less
my other car is kinda stock whith some intake and exhust mods w/ chip. it dynos @ 276/299 hp/tq @ the wheels so adjusted numbers on that are 345/382. these numbers are up from a 250/250 stock number.

This is the short list but as you can see im kindof a car guy, this is why i love the nsx.....

the plan is to by one and turbo it, i have seen some mixed results on here in doing this. But i am sure it can be done successfully.

thanks for all the input and please, if someone is in my area please let me know.

thanks

The NA1 NSX coupes usually dyno at 230-240 RWHP stock. Weight is only 3020 pounds, however, not the 3700 or so a B5 S4 weighs.

There are a lot of advantages to keeping the NSX normally aspirated. You can get a coupe to 2850 pounds without a ton of effort and cost, and still have a full interior and AC. Up the power to 270 RWHP with basic bolt ons (I/H/E/TB/ECU) and you have a very quick car that retains the basic character of the NSX.

For FI options, the Comptech SC seems to have the best record for longevity. The FX 400/500 turbo cars have posted very impressive numbers, but are too new for anyone to know how well they hold up over time.

01blacks4 said:
if someone is in my area please let me know.
There are a lot of NSX owners in the Phoenix area. It is home to one of the top independent NSX mechanics in the country, Basch Acura Service, and one of the top aftermarket NSX vendors, Science of Speed, which are located together. In fact, NSXPO 2005 will be held in Phoenix next year.

You might try stopping by Science of Speed and talking to Chris or Seth. Just be aware that some of the folks will be away in the next couple of weeks at NSXPO 2004.

I have owned many NSXs since 1992 and driven just about every car that compares to the NSX. You are definitely correct about an NSX being a high rpm performer. One thing to take into consideration on a first impression test drive is that the car must be warmed up for the VTEC to work properly. One big advantage of newer nsx models is the six speed. The pre-97 5 speed combined with the lack of low rpm performance together made a poor combination. The six speed first gear is much lower allowing the 3.2 to achieve the powerband sooner. I believe that with the six speed, you would like the car better.

Andy Buzz
97 Monte Carlo Blue NSX 4 sale
www.nsx4sale.com

Andy Buzz said:
The six speed first gear is much lower allowing the 3.2 to achieve the powerband sooner.
First gear in the six speed is almost exactly the same as first gear in the five speed. (Gear ratios are 3.066 vs 3.071) The ratios of the other gears are significantly shorter, but not first gear.

Also, unlike most cars, VTEC keeps the torque curve relatively flat, so there really isn't a "power band" that stands out. Torque, and therefore acceleration, are fairly constant within any one gear, as you can see in the diagram below. VTEC allows the torque to be maintained into higher revs, which means that the acceleration advantage comes from gearing, not from one part of the rev band offering greater acceleration than another.

Yes, the 3.2-liter engine with the 6-speed is quicker than the 3.0-liter with the 5-speed. Bob Butler's analysis shows that most of the difference is due to the greater torque/horsepower of the engine, not the gearing. (More specifically, putting a 6-speed into a stock '91 reduces 1/4 mile times by 0.11 second, while adding 15 hp - which is less than the 3.2 adds - reduces them by 0.32 second.)

97nsxpowercurve.gif

Back