Thinking about buying an NSX...

I have always been in love with late 60's, early 70's Detroit muscle cars. So much so that for the last 7 years and god knows how much money and personal labor I restored a 1970 440-6 pack-4 speed Road Runner(black :D ).
Now...This is one of the ultimate muscle cars to own with an increasing value and it is a lot of fun to drive. Nothing like raw power! And it is one of the nicest ones around....and I live in the Woodward Ave. area so that is saying something!!!
But the other day a friend brought an 91 black NSX 5 spd w/19 k on it into our shop for an electrical problem and it was love at first sight :eek:
I haven't had a thrill like that driving a car in a long time. And I drive a lot of different cars because I am a repair tech at a private shop.
My dilema(sp?) is this, I can only afford to have 1 toy. I would have to sell the RR, which cannot be replaced as the price's on 6 pack cars is second only to Hemi cars. Every one I have talked to say's to keep the RR but I rarely drive it because it has collectors car insurance and cannot easily be replaced or repaired. Can't drive it to work.....so on, so forth :rolleyes:
Lets hear some opinions. Sorry I'm so long winded.

Let me be the first to say welcome to Prime! Most of us NSXers are true car guys at heart and completely understand the love for muscle cars.... I'm restoring a 67 Camaro myself.

If I were only allowing myself 1 toy, then it wouldn't be a constest.... NSX!! I live in Maryland and drive my NSX year round. It's actually daily driver. The only time it sits is snow, ics, road salt, etc. Of course, I cannot do this with the muscle car. I get about 7 miles per gallon and it's just not dependable enough to rely on for a long commute... and I would probably smell like gas when I got to work.;)

The only thing the NSX cannot do is match the Camaro's unbelievable straight line acceleration. (low 12's, high 11's depending on tires)

Well, good luck in your search and be sure to scour our FAQ section, particularly this one: http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/BuySell/nsx_purchase_process.htm BTW, 97' and up have a little more power, and if you buy an earlier one, there are several go-fast mods you can do.

dbljs, you remind me of myself. I have a black 440 Cuda, I love the NSX, and I'd prefer to only have one play thing (I'm not a millionaire). Well, I'm not selling the Cuda, and I've got to have an NSX, so my solution is own them both. :cool: Sure, I feel a little overloaded by having two toys, but it's certainly do-able. If you can spare the garage space, I recommend giving it a try. It might not be as expensive as you think.

For me, I'd sell my NSX before my Cuda. But I love my NSX, regardless.

i have 2 cars. there is strength in numbers...my suggestion is to wait 2 months. if you still have to have the NSX then you know your love will be real.
Autophile said:
dbljs, you remind me of myself. I have a black 440 Cuda, I love the NSX, and I'd prefer to only have one play thing (I'm not a millionaire). Well, I'm not selling the Cuda, and I've got to have an NSX, so my solution is own them both. :cool: Sure, I feel a little overloaded by having two toys, but it's certainly do-able. If you can spare the garage space, I recommend giving it a try. It might not be as expensive as you think.

For me, I'd sell my NSX before my Cuda. But I love my NSX, regardless.

That is a tough call. I too would wait a while and see if you still have the itch for one. I wouldn't make a rush decision due to the type of car you currently consider your toy.
I'm very lucky in I wanted another toy and was going to trade in the NSX for it until the wife steps in and says she'll pay the NSX payment so we can trade in her car on my new one. :D

Thanks for the feedback everyone! I actually have been thinking about it for about a month, I've been lurking about various forums to learn as much as I can so I can make an informed decision.
I would more than anything love to have both...kinda have your cake and eat it too thing. But in reality I cannot, since in my eyes making payments on a "toy" is a no-no. Just so you can see why I am having this tug-o-war with myself(and to show off my hot rod :D ). Just a note, it looks as nice underneath as it does on the top, 2 shiney sides ;) . Anything worth doing is worth overdoing. By the way, one thing I have not seen and did not look at the time the car was at our shop...are the bodies steel???

Attachments

• 70 RR.jpg
    70 RR.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 459
Beautiful Road Runner. My friend also had this Mopar with a 440/6pack, Dana rear, bench seat etc. I remember it with a glass hood with pins. The car was bullet proof and just would not quit.The car had a real snotty attitude.I loved driving it. I just bought a 2000 NSX. I also did a body off resto on my 68 vette. I know the drill. Funny, when I took the NSX home and parked it next to the vette, I swear the vette spit some antifreeze at me when I walked by. Anyhow, both cars are a blast to drive. Very very different. Try to keep the Road Runner and buy the NSX if possible. I don't think you will be sorry.

dbljs said:
are the bodies steel???

:D :D Now that is a great newbie question. The NSX is all Aluminum- no rust/bondo to worry about. Besides, most of the owners treat their NSX like its a Ferrari. Therefore, many older NSX's are in mint condition. just got to do your homework.

nice RR btw, :cool:

I have a 69 z28, 70 boss 302, 70 trans am and a 71 rs z28, all great cars and i know what you mean, you can be in the worst mood and jump into these cars and have a mile wide smile. I also have a few porsches a 99 ferrari and a 94 nsx. The nsx is a great car, it is a very different car, in a good way. I would say if you can keep both, do so and you will have the best of both worlds.

vince

Back