Thinking about a Ridgeline

Thinking about a Ridgeline (Updated!)

I am thinking about getting a Ridgeline. I know there's no shortage of opinions here, so I was wondering if anyone had any insight / experience w/ the Ridgeline?

Last edited:
One passed me yesterday while I was walking down the street. The exhaust Sounded pretty good. I still think the Titan is better if you want a pick-up.

I thought this truck was ugly at first, but about two days ago I saw a clean black one and it looked sweet!

I have only seen one in person around here. I haven't spoken to any sales people about them but I don't think they are selling all that well based on sightings alone. Could be wrong though.
Just seems like that want to much $$$ for them. I know it is a Honda and is reliable, but for the same $$ or less you can get a Ford F-series that is a better 'truck'. IMO

92NSX said:
I have only seen one in person around here. I haven't spoken to any sales people about them but I don't think they are selling all that well based on sightings alone. Could be wrong though.
Just seems like that want to much $$$ for them. I know it is a Honda and is reliable, but for the same $$ or less you can get a Ford F-series that is a better 'truck'. IMO
they are the same price as an Odyssey.
i like them in white.

I got to test drive one because I know a guy at Honda World in Huntington Beach. I though it was fun to drive and very roomy. An old guy actually gave me a thumbs up! Lol. Never driven a Titan tho...

Hey 2 Dobes...how do you like your '05 RL? Any issues? Just
bought one and did A-Spec...lots of car for the $. Had a Titan
it was better than GM, Ford or Dodge but still pretty crude.

Steve
Seattle

Hothonda said:

Steve
Seattle

The RL is a very nice car. I did the A-SPEC as well. Here's a pic; http://www.nsxprime.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=8791
If I get the Ridgeline, which I probably will, I am going to get one in silver, on 22's, to match.

Looks good...did you do the suspension upgrade as well as
the body kit? BTW I like how you included the dogs' ball in
the photo!

I llike the Ridgeline and if a truck was what I needed that would be the one I would buy. How can you miss on this one? Honda makes it!

Hothonda said:

Steve
Seattle

Just what a truck should be ...crude but the Titan fills the gap perfectly between useable/crude and comfortable. IMO the Ridgeline is not a truck it is a SUV without an enclosure over the seats furthest back. I agree with you the Titan is better than any american product currently offered.

steveny said:
Just what a truck should be ...crude but the Titan fills the gap perfectly between useable/crude and comfortable. IMO the Ridgeline is not a truck it is a SUV without an enclosure over the seats furthest back. I agree with you the Titan is better than any american product currently offered.

You are smoking something, right? Can the japtrucks tow 12,000lb trailers in Class V hitches? The Tundra and Titan are ok essentially light-duty trucks.

If I had to buy a pickup, it's a Ram 2500 w/ the Cummins High Output. This truck has enough torque to rotate the earth and it sounds like a freaking truck. If I needed a poser truck, the Tundra would be highest on my list.

If you REALLY need a truck, get a real truck, otherwise, for those ssssscary gravel roads, any small SUV will suffice.

liftshard said:
You are smoking something, right? Can the japtrucks tow 12,000lb trailers in Class V hitches? The Tundra and Titan are ok essentially light-duty trucks.

If I had to buy a pickup, it's a Ram 2500 w/ the Cummins High Output. This truck has enough torque to rotate the earth and it sounds like a freaking truck. If I needed a poser truck, the Tundra would be highest on my list.

If you REALLY need a truck, get a real truck, otherwise, for those ssssscary gravel roads, any small SUV will suffice.

Sure, if you need to tow something you are going to need a 2500 or a 3500 dually. What if you need to haul around appliances and 2x4's and haul a bunch of building debris or crap left behind by tenants to the dump? I sure wouldn't want to load the grass clippings from my lawn into the back of my Touareg. I certainly would not want to put fuel in a 2500 or 3500 all the time when I only tow something about once every 2 years. Then when I do tow something I use my brother-in-laws Chevy 3500 dually quad cab 454 with a whipple super charger that gets 4-5 MPG empty or towing. The same truck that sits in his driveway for 29 days out of the month while he drives a KIA because he doesn't want to put 150 bucks a week in gas in the truck to get back and fourth to work. :biggrin:
I think the Titan can tow ~9600 pounds with the big tow package.
The people who always puzzle me are the truck owners who put a cap on a pick up. What is the sense? why didn't they just buy an SUV? By putting on a cap they have effectively render a truck useless IMO.
I guess there is a tool for every job.

2Dobes, I'm in the same boat. My 97 RL isn't cutting it because of the lack of utility space plus Acura back seats do not fold down like the Honda line of cars do. I went and checked out a Ridgeline and was very impressed with the interrior and bed layout. The gas MPG rating was only so-so and I expected much better from a Honda especially considering it is one of their 6 cylinder models.

You might want to wait:

Early sales of Honda's Ridgeline truck disappoint; high prices pegged as main problem
AUTOMOTIVE NEWS
Posted Date: 8/1/05
The Honda Ridgeline has a price problem.

The innovative V-6 pickup costs about $10,000 more than other compact trucks in the United States. And that is hurting sales, says Koichi Kondo, president of American Honda Motor Co.

He says Honda could put incentives on it if sales continue to disappoint, but it won't do so immediately. Honda typically uses cut-rate financing, subsidized leases and dealer cash to boost sales.

"We will take measures if needed," Kondo said at a press event in Tokyo two weeks ago.

Honda broke ground with the Ridgeline by creating it from the Odyssey minivan platform. Engineers welded a frame to the Odyssey's unibody.

Honda marketers have said it will appeal to upscale customers who own other Honda vehicles, motorcycles and power equipment.

It's difficult to get an exact read on the Ridgeline's popularity because it only went on sale in March. Honda sold 3,585 Ridgelines in June. Kondo said the goal is to sell 50,000 a year.

According to Power Information Network data, the Ridgeline's average transaction price in July was $31,602, nearly $10,000 more than the average price of other compact trucks. The Power Information Network is an affiliate of J.D. Power and Associates.

Honda executives in America acknowledge the higher price but say the Ridgeline provides more features, such as standard all-wheel drive, a comfortable ride and a lockable trunk built into the cargo bed.

Jim Roland, general sales manager of Heritage Honda in Baltimore, says: "It's a lovely vehicle. I think it's a tad overpriced. It's more or less priced up with the bigger trucks, but it's a small vehicle."

Although incentives could spur sales, Roland doesn't want to see Honda employ the tactic. He favors a more drastic approach: "I feel that they ought to drop the price - period."

Re: Thinking about a Ridgeline (UPDATED)

Guys, you gotta read through the following series of e-mails that transpired between me and an outfit called TEXAS TOYS in my pursuit of a Ridgeline. I am absolutly flabbergasted at this dealers response. Am I crazy? Was I out of line (at first)? Opinions appreciated. You must start at the very bottom and work your way up while reading this. Duh.

Little upset HA!!!! Still looking time invaluable gas prices going up????
Again look elsewhere and waist someone else's time we are banning you form our dealership!!!

Very Respectfully
Tyger Lucas
www.texastoys.com
713 269-1001

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, August 02, 2005 4:43 PM
To: 'Tyger'
Subject: RE: Owner 1360736: AutoTrader.com: Vehicle Lead

Yes, I think you're lying. Why didn't you take it when it was offered?
I also think you're a prick and a shitty salesman with broken English. You could have sold me this car... I hope you own that fucking place because you don't deserve to have a fucking job you goddamned moron.

Sent: Tuesday, August 02, 2005 3:14 PM
To: [email protected]

You must think I am lying!!! good luck to you !!!! Please do not email again on this truck

Very Respectfully
Tyger Lucas
www.texastoys.com
713 269-1001

Sent: Tuesday, August 02, 2005 4:08 PM

I am still at 28,500. Let me know if it doesn't work out.

Thanks,
Brad

Sent: Tuesday, August 02, 2005 2:55 PM

It brung 29300!!! I will take 29800 from you! If don't want??? will call dealer and take 29300 from them

your move next

Very Respectfully
Tyger Lucas
www.texastoys.com
713 269-1001

Sent: Tuesday, August 02, 2005 3:46 PM

Sold?

Thanks,
Brad

Sent: Monday, August 01, 2005 6:37 PM

I am going to run through dealer auction tomorrow I think it brings 29500 the nav is definitely hot if not will email you back and let you know how much it brings

Very Respectfully
Tyger Lucas
www.texastoys.com
713 269-1001

Sent: Monday, August 01, 2005 7:22 PM

For 28,500 I'd be there in the morning, check in hand.

Thanks,
Brad

Sent: Monday, August 01, 2005 3:59 PM

How about 30500????

Very Respectfully
Tyger Lucas
www.texastoys.com
713 269-1001

Sent: Monday, August 01, 2005 4:50 PM
To: [email protected]; [email protected]
Subject: Owner 1360736: AutoTrader.com: Vehicle Lead

***VEHICLE LEAD***

Dealer Name: Texas Toys - 1360736

The following lead was generated from AutoTrader.com's web site at http://www.autotrader.com. Please take the time to follow up on this lead.
If you have any questions about this lead, please call AutoTrader.com Dealer Support at 1-800-353-9350.

To view the vehicle, click the link below:
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=182332253

VEHICLE INFORMATION
Make: Honda
Model: Ridgeline
Year: 2006
Price: 30995
Mileage: 7800
Body Style: Truck
Color: Silver
Cylinders: 6 Cylinder Gasoline
Transmission: Automatic
Doors: Four Door
Stereo: Compact Disc Changer
VIN: 2HJYK16576H510187
Stock ID: 0187
Description: This HONDA RIDGELINE WITH NAVIGATION AND LEATHER SUNRROF is a rare gem in Showroom condition. This larger-than-life truck has all the power you could want for off-road adventures, and the super clean interior and sleek silver body offers all the head-turning style you could want for the city. This 4-door extended cab truck is powered by a 255 HP 3.5 L DOHC 24-Valve VTEC V6 engine, has room for five adults to sit comfortably, and has an incredible list of options so you and your passengers can enjoy your ride comfortably. These options include navigation, 6-CD in dash player, XM Satellite Radio, Dual Zone Air Conditioning, heated front seats, leather interior, power seats, power sunroof, power rear window, power locks, power windows, power mirrors, and an automatic transmission. Call (281)495-7990 today with your offer!

BUYER INFO
Name: Brad Bias
E-Mail Address: [email protected]
Comments: Would you take $28,500 for your Ridgeline?

Banned from an internet car lot?

Guys, forgive the double post, but you must read through the following series of e-mails that transpired between a dealer named TEXAS TOYS and myself during my pursuit of a Ridgeline. I can't even begin to count how many cars I've bought in my lifetime, and I'm a fairly shrewd negotiator, but I have NEVER, repeat NEVER, encountered treatment such as this. Am I crazy? Was I out of line (at first)?
Please read and comment, this eating at me like a cancer.

Little upset HA!!!! Still looking time invaluable gas prices going up????
Again look elsewhere and waist someone else's time we are banning you form our dealership!!!

Very Respectfully
Tyger Lucas
www.texastoys.com
713 269-1001

Sent: Tuesday, August 02, 2005 4:43 PM

Yes, I think you're lying. Why didn't you take it when it was offered?
I also think you're a prick and a shitty salesman with broken English. You could have sold me this car... I hope you own that fucking place because you don't deserve to have a fucking job you goddamned moron.

Sent: Tuesday, August 02, 2005 3:14 PM

You must think I am lying!!! good luck to you !!!! Please do not email again on this truck

Very Respectfully
Tyger Lucas
www.texastoys.com
713 269-1001

Sent: Tuesday, August 02, 2005 4:08 PM

I am still at 28,500. Let me know if it doesn't work out.

Thanks,
Brad

Sent: Tuesday, August 02, 2005 2:55 PM

It brung 29300!!! I will take 29800 from you! If don't want??? will call dealer and take 29300 from them

your move next

Very Respectfully
Tyger Lucas
www.texastoys.com
713 269-1001

Sent: Tuesday, August 02, 2005 3:46 PM

Sold?

Thanks,
Brad

Sent: Monday, August 01, 2005 6:37 PM

I am going to run through dealer auction tomorrow I think it brings 29500 the nav is definitely hot if not will email you back and let you know how much it brings

Very Respectfully
Tyger Lucas
www.texastoys.com
713 269-1001

Sent: Monday, August 01, 2005 7:22 PM

For 28,500 I'd be there in the morning, check in hand.

Thanks,
Brad

Sent: Monday, August 01, 2005 3:59 PM

How about 30500????

Very Respectfully
Tyger Lucas
www.texastoys.com
713 269-1001

Sent: Monday, August 01, 2005 4:50 PM
To: [email protected]; [email protected]
Subject: Owner 1360736: AutoTrader.com: Vehicle Lead

***VEHICLE LEAD***

Dealer Name: Texas Toys - 1360736

The following lead was generated from AutoTrader.com's web site at http://www.autotrader.com. Please take the time to follow up on this lead.
If you have any questions about this lead, please call AutoTrader.com Dealer Support at 1-800-353-9350.

To view the vehicle, click the link below:
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=182332253

VEHICLE INFORMATION
Make: Honda
Model: Ridgeline
Year: 2006
Price: 30995
Mileage: 7800
Body Style: Truck
Color: Silver
Cylinders: 6 Cylinder Gasoline
Transmission: Automatic
Doors: Four Door
Stereo: Compact Disc Changer
VIN: 2HJYK16576H510187
Stock ID: 0187
Description: This HONDA RIDGELINE WITH NAVIGATION AND LEATHER SUNRROF is a rare gem in Showroom condition. This larger-than-life truck has all the power you could want for off-road adventures, and the super clean interior and sleek silver body offers all the head-turning style you could want for the city. This 4-door extended cab truck is powered by a 255 HP 3.5 L DOHC 24-Valve VTEC V6 engine, has room for five adults to sit comfortably, and has an incredible list of options so you and your passengers can enjoy your ride comfortably. These options include navigation, 6-CD in dash player, XM Satellite Radio, Dual Zone Air Conditioning, heated front seats, leather interior, power seats, power sunroof, power rear window, power locks, power windows, power mirrors, and an automatic transmission. Call (281)495-7990 today with your offer!

BUYER INFO
Name: Brad Bias
E-Mail Address: [email protected]
Comments: Would you take $28,500 for your Ridgeline?

Re: Banned from an internet car lot?

he's a car salesman, of course he's going to play you. I'm not sure why you came back quite so hard at him. you pursued it, he wasn't willing to sell at your price... so be it. just let it go.

Brad,
I read the whole thing. I think your abusive response to the salesman by insulting him with all these names are totally uncalled for. If he can't meet your price and might have been less than willing to pull the deal, you just move on. How would you feel if you are selling something and got some dickhead insulting you like you did?
Steve

I'm neutral on this..but what's the problem?

The guy is asking 29,800. Since it won't go your way with 28,500, you start to name-call him a prick, etc? If he's not willing to sell it at your price, then walk away to another dealership. I think the name-calling was un-called for on your part.

WhiteNSXs and VTEC,
I understand your point(s), and he may have been done negotiating, but after three e-mails; I wasn't. I got angry because he says "not to e-mail him again on this truck", like I had already abused him or something.
I wish the guy from Bridgewater would chime in and give me his thoughts. I'd bet a dollar he'd say you don't sell cars like this.

I am very disappointed by the name calling and language used by our member. Absolutely uncalled for.

Sorry, I've got to agree with the majority there, you name calling is not good on your part. The only thing I felt the dealer could have done was request that you only email back if you are willing to go at his lowest price (if indeed that was as low as he was willing to go). Or he could have reworded it a bit better, but your comeback was rediculous.

I own a Ridgeline with all of those options, even with those few miles, I'd have been all over that truck at $29,800. It's not like used ones are a dime a dozen (at least not in my area).

Back