The verdict on headers

Guys has anyone done a dyno test on the 2000+ (or whatever year the change was) stock headers versus aftermarket headers? Two of you have told me that the newer factory header is very good and much better than the older design... and that an aftermarket one may be somewhat of a waste. Then I get a different story from aftermarket tuner companies. Of course they may be just trying to sell something.

I was wondering if there is anyone that has tested this. I want to know if its worth the extra $1600 investment to buy headers for a CTSC 2005 car.

Well, it is tough for us to say what $1600 is worth to you.

I think Ive suggested to you before that headers on your car with a Cantrell and exhaust with a CTSC will probably net you about 5HP.

To some, thats worth it. To me, it wasnt, so I passed.

I know of at least one 600HP SC'd 97+ NSX running stock headers.

FI power is so much cheaper! Boost baby boost :)

Yes, but how much of that was from headers & how much from exhaust? Without separate dyno runs for each component, it's tough to judge where the gains are coming from.

BioBanker said:

I think Ive suggested to you before that headers on your car with a Cantrell and exhaust with a CTSC will probably net you about 5HP.

Really,

I didn't know there were any SC'd NSX's making that kind of power only turbo's. Who's car is it?

BioBanker said:

So what makes you say this? I am not doubting your statements, and appreciate the feedback... but I am just wondering what makes you feel its good for a minimal amount of power? Is this what Devin said?

Certainly if that is the case I think $1600 can be better spent elsewhere... but the labor is a lot less if I do the install along with the SC than at a later date.. so I was just trying to make that decision now.

Honestly if its 5HP, I prefer to put the money into a titanium exhaust. There is never a question about weight savings... thats for sure.

TURBO2GO said:
Certainly if that is the case I think $1600 can be better spent elsewhere... but the labor is a lot less if I do the install along with the SC than at a later date.. so I was just trying to make that decision now.

Not sure how your guy quotes labor, but the SC is all on top of the motor and the headers are all on the bottom. Unless the installer is charging you a rack fee the time to do it today would be the same time it takes to do it any other day. Maybe he is giving you a package deal on labor.

If I had the 97+ headers I would spend the $1600 on an AEM, injectors and a new pulley.

Dave

I don't know Dave, I didn't ask him but maybe I misinterpreted what he said. I am doing this at Mechanics Direct in MA and they have done many CTSC installs, also they told me they have a dyno and can tune the car.

My thoughts were the same... to put the $1600 to the next level of upgrade. My worry from what I have read is that the AEM renders much of the functionality of the stock ECU useless? like losing all your check engine code capability... thats pretty serious in my book. Reliability is very important to me. Do you know otherwise?

you will gain ~8rwhp peak by adding sos headers to a 2000+ along with the ~12 rwhp peak from the aftermarket exhaust (many have gotten around this mark for exhaust only upgrade on later cars) for a total of ~20rwhp peak as much as ~25 rwhp elsewhere. you decide if it is worth the money. take a look in my gallery for the dyno.

TURBO2GO said:
My thoughts were the same... to put the $1600 to the next level of upgrade. My worry from what I have read is that the AEM renders much of the functionality of the stock ECU useless? like losing all your check engine code capability... thats pretty serious in my book. Reliability is very important to me. Do you know otherwise?

AEM with OBD2 makes the OEM ECU unable to display check engine lights, but add a serial gauge to your AEM and every engine parameter can be monitored with a high/low limit warning light, as well as recorded, so you get the warning and more importantly the data that caused the warning. I do not consider the AEM an easy choice to make, if the car is going to be a street machine, keep the OEM ECU, if you have desires to track the car, consider the AEM. You should net more HP & TQ throughout the power band from the AEM than from the exhaust and headers.

Dave

This damn forum... I have spent at least 80 hours reading in the past month :biggrin:

Its really important to me that the car remain as reliable as possible. This whole thing is not new to me, I owned a 600 HP supra before and raced (at drags only) and I installed it all myself.... so I know what this whole mods business is. I know the perks, and I also am convinced that nothing aftermarket is as reliable as factory.

Now I am older and my agenda is different, I want this car to be rock solid and am thinking the whole AEM step is one step too far from factory. Not that the AEM won't add relaibility, I think the whole going beyond 6 PSI is more than I want to deal with right now. This car stock is probably plenty quick for me, the CTSC will make it amazing, I think I will be happy.

I even insisted to the installer that I wanted everything as stock as possible and am going with the GM boost guage that replaces the factory voltmeter. I want to keep the car as stock looking and running as possible, this one just is supercharged and has a bit more power. Even if I net 330 at the wheels I will be happy. I won't be drag racing too much on crowded Boston streets.

Of course I may be eating all these words later. :biggrin:

Thanks for the info.

If I had the 97+ headers I would spend the $1600 on an AEM, injectors and a new pulley.

Agreed..I have the SOS headers and it is not worth the $ for me. I have the GM boost gauge and it rocks! Go with the AEM and Hi-boost...6 lbs is fun but with 9 lbs.......you get H I G H !!!!

Wheelman said:
Agreed..I have the SOS headers and it is not worth the $ for me. I have the GM boost gauge and it rocks! Go with the AEM and Hi-boost...6 lbs is fun but with 9 lbs.......you get H I G H !!!!

STOP IT MAN!!! :smile: Do you have this?

yes, he got one!! and let me tell you, his car kick ass!! it sounds amazing too!! his car is scary!! it gives kids nightmare!!!

thanks bro..

one thing I did notice was after the SOS headers and SC..the car does sound F1-ish or like a race car under overpasses or tunnels..and Stormrider can back me on this one. I don't know if it is the SC or combo of SOS headers but it does sound very good.

DDozier said:
, if the car is going to be a street machine, keep the OEM ECU, if you have desires to track the car, consider the AEM. You should net more HP & TQ throughout the power band from the AEM than from the exhaust and headers.

Dave
SO us street guys that drive our cars pokey style and lug the motor should stay stock ecu, poppycock!:biggrin: :biggrin:

it is the nature of "equal length" headers to give that amazing sound. could not be happier with the sound of my sos headers/ taitec JGTC exhaust combo.:biggrin:

it is the nature of "equal length" headers to give that amazing sound. could not be happier with the sound of my sos headers/ taitec JGTC exhaust combo

In that case, it was worth every penny:tongue:

For one 1600 for headers thats insane. I bought mine for 1250 comptech. Iv seen alone on a 97 with exhaust make 278 rwhp with AIS and exhaust. Now my 2000 has AIS and anytime race exhaust with comptech headers. I did 3 runs which dynoed at 290 rwhp with 3 mods on my 3.2 NSX. Yes I felt a differnce in throttle response and sound. It was more deeper after the header install. So ill guess from previous dynos the headers probably add like 12rwhp which is not bad. I could feel better flow as well in the car.

Now a 04 NSX has the new CTSC with headers no cats AIS and exhaust made 390 rwhp onthe 6psi kit. He does by nitroNSX I think. Results show. I personaly think they made a pretty decent difference. I paid 1250 for headers.

rk-nsx said:
it is the nature of "equal length" headers to give that amazing sound. could not be happier with the sound of my sos headers/ taitec JGTC exhaust combo.:biggrin:

Are the Comptech headers "equal length"?

Back