The V10 R8 pricing....a hint of NSX repl. price ?

26000 light years from the nearest black hole
http://www.autoblog.com/2008/12/08/audi-r8-v10-5-2-fsi-quattro-unveiled-ahead-of-detroit/

With the Audi R8 V10 priced at around US$180k, it would be unlikely for the NSX replacement to be priced higher. In fact, HONDA are likely to try to undercut the price of the V10 R8 in an effort to draw more interest their way.
I am guessing $150-160k.

This range of about $150k is also where the GT-R spec-V {5 extra hp compared to the present GT-R but with lots of CF parts and deletion of the rear seat to decrease the weight} is priced at when it goes on sale in 2009. While the GT-R is a totally different animal in most ways, it's performance is likely to be even better than the current model's.

I cannot see the NSX replacement priced below the $150k mark.

Last edited:
http://www.autoblog.com/2008/12/08/audi-r8-v10-5-2-fsi-quattro-unveiled-ahead-of-detroit/

With the Audi R8 V10 priced at around US$180k, it would be unlikely for the NSX replacement to be priced higher. In fact, HONDA are likely to try to undercut the price of the V10 R8 in an effort to draw more interest their way.
I am guessing $150-160k.

This range of about $150k is also where the GT-R spec-V {5 extra hp compared to the present GT-R but with lots of CF parts and deletion of the rear seat to decrease the weight} is priced at when it goes on sale in 2009. While the GT-R is a totally different animal in most ways, it's performance is likely to be even better than the current model's.

Why do you assume that? The current tester is just keeping up with the $80k version of the GT-R.

Unless Honda wasn't trying on the track, I don't see how they could justify charging $150k for a car that doesn't perform any better than Nissan's $80k car.

I am guessing $150-160k.

Also, are you sure about the hp bump? I have read from several different sources that the V Spec is suppose to be pushing around 550 hp. Nissan did add 5 hp to the current GT-R for next year though.

Why do you assume that? The current tester is just keeping up with the $80k version of the GT-R.

Unless Honda wasn't trying on the track, I don't see how they could justify charging $150k for a car that doesn't perform any better than Nissan's $80k car.

The cost of the NSX replacement or any other exotic/halo car is not tied to its performance relative to the GT-R. If that were the case, one would be able to pick up a Porsche GT3 or the 911T for less than 100k and the Ferrari F430 would be cheaper than the GT-R.

Performance on the track is only one measure of the car. The type of engine used, the exotic materials, the fit and finish and the build quality. These also affect the longevity of the car.

Also, are you sure about the hp bump? I have read from several different sources that the V Spec is suppose to be pushing around 550 hp. Nissan did add 5 hp to the current GT-R for next year though.

The V spec has only about 5 more horse power but the cost is significantly more mainly due to the very expensive brake and wheel combination and the use of carbon fiber for different body panels.

Check this out:http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=137968

Last edited:
The V spec has only about 5 more horse power but the cost is significantly more mainly due to the very expensive brake and wheel combination and the use of carbon fiber for different body panels.

Check this out:http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=137968

I find that hard to believe. Most things I have read said it will be 520HP, which I even find silly since it is probably already close to 520HP at it is.

Losing 200lbs won't make that thing THAT much faster. I think they say for every 100bls loss you drop a tenth in the 1/4 mile.

You would be crazy to pay $150,000 for that car IMO.

I find that hard to believe. Most things I have read said it will be 520HP, which I even find silly since it is probably already close to 520HP at it is.

Losing 200lbs won't make that thing THAT much faster. I think they say for every 100bls loss you drop a tenth in the 1/4 mile.

You would be crazy to pay $150,000 for that car IMO.

The most current news is that the engine is left untouched with the exception of an overboost option for midrange jump. The extra $75,000 are for non engine parts. Def not worth it. All of these carbon fiber parts and no rear seats = only 100KG lost? FAIL. Still ~3600 lb which is tubby. Even the NSX-R dropped more than that for an already lightweight, spartan car.

Some one just told me Nissan raised the MSRP of the GTR to $92k, the biggest increase for mid model year change.

So 150k for the Spec V is actually a reasonable assumption. Two Japanese publications mentioned that price as well, actually if you do the current exchange rate, it should be $165k.

Back